Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
what's your 'go to' recipe/meal?
Quote | Reply
What is an old standby 'go to' recipe that you love because its yummy, easy, quick, nutritious, etc? I love seeing other people's ideas!

My fav is crock pot chili...(veg) ok not quick to make but quick to heat up during the week or freeze and bring to work.

I use a 16 bean soup mix pack of beans (goya I think? its not a soup mix per se, but a mixture of beans) soak them, then add that to pot with: 1 or 2 onions, 4 or more garlic, 2 large cans tomatoes, chopped carrots if I have them, green or red pepper if I have some, or just beans....then I always just guess the spices. (chili powder, cumin, pepper, hot pepper flakes)

Maybe not super original...but Id love to hear some other ideas.
Quote Reply
Re: what's your 'go to' recipe/meal? [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trader Joes thai yellow/red/green curry tuna with brown rice. 1 meal is half a bag of each. Takes 2min in the microwave. I am, in fact, the laziest person on the planet.
Quote Reply
Re: what's your 'go to' recipe/meal? [banana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never seen that, I'll have to look next time at TJs. Their frozen stuff is also a 'go to' for sure. Another quick good meal is I take the balsamic butter vegetables (SO good and not total fat despite the name) and serve that on top of couscous, maybe some chicken/fish for protein.

Also the TJs brand greek yogurt is awesome, I like it better than Fage and cheaper. There is a ton of protein in it (20g/serving) and its great with fruit, and is great in place of sour cream on a baked sweet potato ( another good quick meal..do one in the microwave and top with TK greek yogurt...the 0% fat).
Quote Reply
Re: what's your 'go to' recipe/meal? [banana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, indeed the TJ's tuna curry is great. My friend had to talk me into trying it, it just didn't sound appealing. She is a super picky eater so I figured if she liked it, it's good. It has such a nice lemon grass undertone.

My other quick go to is turkey & black bean tacos. Brown the turkey, add the spice (I buy the big containers of taco spice at Costco) and add black beans. If you want to get fancy you can saute onion & some peppers as well. One pack of turkey makes enough for several meals. It takes about 15 minutes to prepare.
Last edited by: QRgirl: Feb 22, 08 14:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oatmeal pancakes

I make the dry ingredients and put them in a jar. Then take out what I need each time I make some, since we don;t eat a whole batch at once.

Dry ingredients:
1/2 flour
1 1/2 cups oatmeal
1 tablespoon baking powder
ground cinnamon

optional add protein powder

Put all ingredients in cuisinart and grind into powder like mixture

I use about a cup of the powder mixture and add:
1 egg white
a splash of vanilla
enough skim milk to get the right consistency(you can use water)

http://www.rdsupplier.com "making race directing easier"
Last edited by: southerngal: Feb 22, 08 16:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok This is my quickie meal that I make when I'm in a rush and I have to work all day. I take gardenball meatballs and put them in a croc pot w/ sauce. Sometimes I add vegs like green peppers, onions , mushrooms zucchini etc. When I get home I throw some sub rolls w/ cheese in the oven. My family eats them up and I really look forward to it at the end of the day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bean burritos are probably my favorite food in the world. Canned beans, whole-wheat tortilla, salsa or enchilada sauce, TJ's plain Greek yogurt. Side of veggies or, if I'm feeling ambitious, sauteed veg on the burrito. mmmm.

Guilty pleasure, low-cal but not terribly nutritious: Lean Cuisine Mac & Cheese. I heat it halfway and dump in a big handful of chopped cherry tomatoes, some red pepper flakes & sea salt, then finish heating.

When I am willing to spend 20 minutes, I saute chicken with mushrooms & onions in vermouth and serve over Trader Joe's heat-n-eat polenta (blended with a little liquid to make it creamy). Excellent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spaghetti squash and meat sauce! For the sauce, I saute big pieces of onion with garlic, brown some lean ground beef (or turkey or buffalo) with the onions, then add diced tomatoes and a couple of small cans of plain tomato sauce. Finally, wilt a bag of spinach into the sauce. It's SO easy!

Another good and quick meal is one I saw on Rachel Ray -- put a piece of flaky fish dizzled with olive oil on parchment paper, cover with whatever vegetables you want (I usually use onions, asparagus, and orange or red peppers to give it some color). Then fold over the parchment paper so you've made a little package. Put the package in a baking dish and cook at 350 for about 25 minutes. Serve with homemade mashed potatoes on a bed of spinach!

I'm trying to eat a modified paleo diet, so I end up with lots of big salads with grilled fish or meat. (I don't know how humans survived without the George Foreman grill!)
Quote Reply
Re: what's your 'go to' recipe/meal? [csb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys all have fancy stuff. I don't even know what spaghetti squash is...

My go-to meal is toast with butter and jam, and a bowl of cottage cheese.
If that sounds lame, my excuse is that I'm a college student and at least I didn't say "easy mac"

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I buy big packs of ground turkey then divide them into individual packs and throw them in the freezer. Then I can take one out in the morning and put it in the refrigerator and use it at night.

Easy and simple....ground turkey, some onion flakes, chili powder, salt, pepper. Corn tortillas, a bit of shredded cheddar cheese, turkey, some lettuce and salsa.

The other easy thing is some lentils (regular or red) cooked up with some carrots and potatoes and curry and garlic. Very tasty.

But the easiest? Walking upstairs at work if I'm still there at 7PM and eating whatever they have catered in.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: what's your 'go to' recipe/meal? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, TC! You must try spaghetti squash! It's basically this big yellow ... squash. Uncooked, its innards look like regular squash, but cooked ... the innards (yes, I like that word -- it's fun to say! Try it!) turn into stringy goodness that's like spaghetti! Very mild flavor. I read somewhere that for a while, there was an orange spaghetti squash, but I've never seen one of them.

(It scares me a little bit that I can get this excited about squash that hasn't been cooked down to mush with a bit of onion and fatback.)

When I was a college student, my go-to meal was a baked potato with broccoli and ketchup. And generic Coco-Puffs and vanilla soft frozen yogurt at the Caf.
Quote Reply
Re: what's your 'go to' recipe/meal? [csb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found pictures of it - it does look pretty cool. (Something we would probably never find at our cafeteria... my go to meal there is also cereal - I have a hard time trusting things they actually cook because they are most of the time dripping in grease...) maybe I can find some the next time I grocery-shop.

My mom made minestrone soup tonight but put shredded turkey in it (I am a vegetarian). That made me mad...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gosh, you guys are making me hungry here. *L* I will have to look for the tuna curry, is that in the frozen section at TJ? The buttered veggis I have seen, but I've always passed up, cuz I thought they would be too fatty. Have to give them a try. I love alot of TJ's stuff, too much in fact to really make a list, but if you haven't had their lava cakes...talk about a sinful indulgence. They are like my husband's fave sin treat, and they are seasonal, which is probably good. :-) Unfortunely my go to food is usually a clif bar, G2 (which I totally love..much better than propel) and maybe a protein shake or a starbucks stop. Yeah, I'm lucky in a way, cuz I drive around alot (home health nurse), but I can be pretty busy with back to back patients. No microwave in my SUV either.
Quote Reply
Re: what's your 'go to' recipe/meal? [kitkat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The tuna curry is kind of near the jarred sauces in a box. The curry is in a foil pouch that you can boil, or just dump the contents into a bowl and microwave (this is what I do.)

It's really good stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oooo great thread idea.

i'm a sucker for TJ's pesto pizza and also soups (mmmm roasted red pepper!).

here's an easy recipe for a very quick, nutricious pasta:
1/2 cup orzo, cook about 9 minutes.
saute chopped garlic in a little oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat 1 min.
stir in 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes, a few sliced kalamata olives, a little feta, 3 big handfuls of fresh spinach, and the drained pasta.
continue stirring for over heat until spinach wilts (1-2 minutes) and serve up with a little squirt of lemon juice.

this is modified from an epicurious recipe (www.epicurious.com) that has it paired with a quick pan-roasted halibut. they have a great search function - just type in the ingredients you have on hand and it will come up with several (usually delicious) recipes to try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
whole wheat pasta with frozen peas and some other veg (onion, zuchini, peppers etc), basil pesto, and some cut up chicken. The whole thing takes about 1/2 hour, and makes great leftovers. has complex carbs, lean proten, veg and healthy fat - and most importantly, tastes great :)

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Re: what's your 'go to' recipe/meal? [flyer521] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
half an hour, tsk tsk

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never posted in the Womens before, but what a great thread. Womens rule.

One of mine:

Portobella zucchini burrito/tostada ... takes about 20 minutes max. And delicious.

Dice a bit of onion and saute in olive oil. Chop of a zucchini and portobello top. Pour the zucchini and portobello on top of the sauted onion. Salt and pepper. Over medium heat, stir occassionally and heat til the 'schrooms are cooked. Wrap into tortilla or dump on top of tostada (I prefer to wrap). Sprinkle a bit of shredded cheese (Colby/Jack combo works the best IMO). Put in the over at 350 for about 6-8 minutes. Drop a dollop of sour cream on top, if you want. Very tasty.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My go-to meal is usually an omelet with blue cheese, mushrooms and onions. I also like to keep turkey sausage in the fridge so you can fry it up quick in a little olive oil and it goes with just about any veggie. Or, put it in tomato sauce on top of pasta.
Quote Reply
Re: what's your 'go to' recipe/meal? [jcurtis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that sounds fantastic, so many great ideas here....tigerchick, when I was a student I used to love beans on toast, as my mum would 'make' that for us when she was rushed, simple heat up baked beans, put on toast! Its still a comfort food for me. Pretty healthy too, depending on what is in the beans and if you use wheat of rye toast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll second the crock pot veggie chili... made some on Sunday in fact, and have it here for lunch... I throw in the veggie crumbles along with the beans, talk about protein!

When I'm really lazy, or really hungry it's all about the Boboli. Throw some sauce and cheese on, and, while not the healthiest, it's easy carbs.

I also like sweet potatoes thrown in the micro with a little Smart Balance butter or salsa.

Anyone tried the new microwave bags that you throw in some fresh veggies and heat? They're amazing, and soooo easy!

Thank goodness it's lunch time, cuz I'm starving!!!

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a recipe in Chris Carmichael's nutrition book for tomato florentine soup which is basically tomato soup + V8 add macaroni pasta and heat top with spinach leaves and sprinkle with cheese. Yummy and filling recovery soup that is easy to make. if you want it, I'll scan it and email you, send me a PM.

We do bean burritos often adding veggies all the time.

Costco vegetarian lasagna takes 45+ minutes to cook but we put it in the oven and go walk the dog and when we get back dinner is served!

Also from Costco: Foster Farms individually wrapped chicken breasts and a bag of frozen veggies for stir fry. Marinate breasts in teriyaki or other sauce, go to do workout and come up and fry up while steaming rice. Dinner in 20 minutes.

Looking for ways to eat more vegetables which could be a whole other thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am so very jealous that you all have TJoes around.. they don't seem to have any interest in coming to hawaii :(

Go to meal:
tortilla w/hummus, spinach and tomato.

Usually while my kids eat dino-nuggets. Thanks for some good new ideas!
Quote Reply
Re: what's your 'go to' recipe/meal? [runlikeamother] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the goo dpeople of Hawaii have other perks that more than make up for the lack of Trader Joes ;-)

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: what's your 'go to' recipe/meal? [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True. But I lived across the street from one in the bay area for a couple of years and got spoiled. Our food prices suck, but not enough to negate all the good things :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next