Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

tubular tire and brake pad recs
Quote | Reply
So I am new to tubular and carbon breaking surface wheel ownership (650c Zipp 404) I just realized that I have a race coming up in a mere two weeks so I need help purchasing new tubular tires and break pads suitable for a carbon breaking surface. In terms of the tires, I am looking for a good tire to place on the wheels to race (have two races planned for the season- Racine and IM WI) as well as what to carry in the race for a spare. In terms of the break pads, just something that won't hurt the wheels.

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: tubular tire and brake pad recs [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the tubbie upgrade!

Riding 650's limits you a LITTLE bit, but luckily there is still a VERY good tire you can get. See if you can find a place that is selling a set of 650c Veloflex Record tubulars. Hands down the most supple and best handling tires you can get (these and the veloflex carbons are used by nearly 95% of the Tour de France teams; they go so far as to re-brand the Veloflex tires with the brands of their sponsors).

For pads, the best option is to use the swiss-stop yellow carbon pads. But truth be told with zipps, if you use a regular shimano break pad (as long as it's new and doesn't have any set-in metal filings from use on an aluminum rim), you'll be ok.

Re: tubular tire and brake pad recs [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ooooo, and I just found a place that has them (and a ton of other tubbies) in stock....

http://worldclasscycles.com/..._tires_only_cart.htm

Don't be tempted by the Tufo's... I know they're cheaper, but I really think they just don't ride as well. You could get a light one for your spare, but make sure it is SUPER stretched out before you race with it; Tufo's are REALLY hard to get on if they're not pre-stretched... near impossible I would think!