Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

triathlete growing tomatoes and tomatillos
Quote | Reply
I am growing tomatillos for the first time. Are those little green "umbrella-ish" things with a little green things inside a future tomatillo???? Got lots of those...

Also, my little yellow pear tomatoes are producing very well. The better boy tomatoes plants are just covered up with tomatoes but only 1 has ripened. It was great! Is there something to do to make them start ripening?? They get lots of sun. The plants seem very happy. I do love to have fried green tomatoes, but really I want some sun ripened bursting with flavor red tomatoes!

Last question...a couple of my green tomatoes have started to rot. I just pull those off. Is that an insect problem?

Wishing for ripe tomatoes,
Sylvia

Vestri sessio est quoque altus!
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete growing tomatoes and tomatillos [trisyzyl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sounds like you just need a little warm weather to ripen that fruit. Be patient!

The rottton green fruit might be blossom end rot or possible too much water. They don't need much water.

We just had a tomatoe thread. Did you see that one?

Re: triathlete growing tomatoes and tomatillos [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I saw the thread but was worried it would get lost...I'm sure you are right, I just need to be patient. Sigh. They will all probably get ripe at the same time. Then I will be swimming in tomatoes. I mean it, there are probably more than 50 of those guys on the vine. The recipes posted in the other thread will be very useful.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we grow tomatillos here- love em for salsa- you can see the little lanterns and that is the covering on the fruit, once that dries a bit and opens up then you can harvest. We use pure tomatillos, avacado, garlic in the cuisinart for salsa- it does take quite a bit of fruit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What Tim said, about being patient. I know the feeling though! My tomato group (umm, yes, I have some gardening friends I met through gardenweb and we get together to swap plants and do a tasting) last year came up with a lengthy list to describe the various shades of green of our unripe tomatoes - it was quite impressive. You know what they say - the waiting is the hardest part.

And yeah, sounds like blossom end rot, or BER. Usually due to uneven watering, but the plants tend to grow out of it. It can be really frustrating though - 2 years ago it seems I lost most of my tomatoes to BER. knock on wood, so far everything looks good this year....

--------------------

http://thethighmasterroutetokona.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A week of 100+ like we just had and you'll be trying to figure out who else you can give tomatoes to. We picked about 35 tomatoes this morning. Small fruit due to the heat but I take it! What is the temp where you are growing?

Re: triathlete growing tomatoes and tomatillos [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Just when I started complaining, they started ripening. Maybe they can read. I have seen the first blush of pink on my maters! It is 90+ with 90%+ humidity down in South Alabama these days. I love the weather here, but then I grew up down here.

Sylvia

Quote Reply