Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

training on fertility meds...
Quote | Reply
We have been trying to conceive for awhile now-was put on clomid recently. Doc said limited training and no marathons/triathlons this spring or summer due to meds. Thinks it could be too risky....any thoughts or advice is appreciated! Thanks!! :)
Quote Reply
Re: training on fertility meds... [amully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lots of cardio can contribute to infertility - usually one of the first recommendations is lifting only, no cardio, try to put on some body fat....
Quote Reply
Re: training on fertility meds... [meuf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 Yes, sometimes too much activity can hinder fertility, but it depends on the condition that you are struggling with. For me, I am not overweight but nonetheless suffer from PCOS (polycystic ovary) so high intensity intervals are good for my hormone levels because they help control my blood sugar - one of the side effects of PCOS for me is insulin resistance. Talk with your doc to get more specifics on why he doesn't recommend racing - s/he will have a better idea than any of us. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: training on fertility meds... [spacebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your input!! I appreciate it! I was diagnosed with PCOS as well & am not overweight. When i asked my doc about training she said no to it because of the risk of losing the baby early on. I am not pregnant but getting ready to take my first dose of clomid in a week or so...so i was just curious about training. Now, it concerns me that my doc may not know as much as i would like about training while pregnant & the risks i have- if you(spacebabe) were told you could work out at high intensity. But i would rather not risk losing the baby if it really is dangerous...but if i can still run & participate in tris...that would be awesome! thanks again. :)
Amy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It really depends on a lot of things - my doc didn't really advise me for or against training, but my body responded better to the meds when my blood sugar was better regulated. I think some docs put people on metformin in addition to the clomid, and if that was the case, then maybe my doc would have advised against any heavy training. I think it also depends on how long you have been active. I think it's safer overall with low intensity stuff, but I found that the whole infertility thing was really stressing me out which was really hard to deal with if I had no exercise. Definitely take your doc's advice over mine, of course, this was my own experience and I was unsuccessful on the Clomid as far as getting preggers in the end either way. Good luck and feel free to message me if you need to talk. It can be quite a journey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like you don't trust your Dr. I would look for a new one ASAP. I took Clomid and they never suggested stopping exercise. I did reduce intensity and duration during the time I was trying to get pregnant which ended up being a 3 year adventure. FYI, I got pregnant doing Clomid + insemination. I do not have PCOS but I did have irregular cycles. I was underweight initially and my cycle got more regular after gaining 10 pounds. That's my story and each person is unique. Good luck on Clomid, it was a bad trip for me. HORMONE CITY!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in exactly the same boat as you. I have PCOS and just started taking Clomid. But my doctor has absolutely no problem with training. Like you, I'm not at all overweight - just have PCOS. My doctor's only concern was what I did AFTER getting pregnant. He wanted to be absolutely sure that I understood no ironman or marathon while pregnant.
Quote Reply