Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Womens Camp 2018 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I am not a current uber/lyft user but I will check it out. I will just likely end up renting a car since I already know how to do that....
Quote Reply
Re: Womens Camp 2018 [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a go! Flying into/from Ontario on Southwest (read: flying with bike). I assume I'll be renting a car, unless I luck out and my friend's mom has a spare car, or someone wants to carpool via the scenic route?

Giddy-up!

Oh - pay on arrival, or...?

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Womens Camp 2018 [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great news, just post up your arrival time and airport here and others can chime in if there is a pick up possible. And yes I get all your $$ once you get here...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm actually arriving on Apr 3 and departing on Apr 9, in order to enjoy a visit with my friends mom. She'll get me from the airport, but as for a carpool opportunity, I'll be in Upland, which is right off the 10 (I-10, I know it's spoken as "the ten" but that looks weird in print).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Starting the list!

ironclm - driving from LA/leave Mon. ONT
Sally - driving from Vegas
Gail - driving over the mountain
Tsunami - ONT
Instigator - LAX/Wed-Sun PM
SDCali - driving

SoCalTriCurious?

Monty, Ashley, Wyatt, Morgan and Jessie
Marty?

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Last edited by: ironclm: Feb 4, 18 5:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m in, don’t have exact dates yet, but will drive up.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in, driving, and would be happy to pick up someone flying into an LA area airport (and their bike). Tsunami? Instigator?

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: Womens Camp 2018 [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will be shipping my bike to Xantusia as I am not a good traveler with it. My flights are as follows:

Arrive LAX at 10:10am on Wednesday, April 4.
Leave LAX at 6:15pm on Sunday, April 8.

I would love to catch a ride with you if those times work. Otherwise my plan is to rent a car.
Quote Reply
Re: Womens Camp 2018 [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure thing, let's PM to sort out the details.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: Womens Camp 2018 - APRIL 4-8 [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Less than 1 month till Women's Camp! I can't wait.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like I am probably gong to miss most or all of Camp 2018. I started a new job and am not sure I should be taking time off yet, and I am running my local 5k on Saturday morning (it's on the Santa Anita racetrack, starts in the actual starting gates and ends down the homestretch led by the horses/jockeys, so if anyone likes horses you might want to drive over the hill for it). I am going to try to come Sat afternoon/night for Montyritas, especially if I can persuade Dan or Monty to pull out the SwitchIt and help me pick a new saddle.
Quote Reply
Re: Womens Camp 2018 [Gee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boo!! but congratulations on the new job!!!

I do hope you can make it for Saturday. It would be great to see you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two and a half weeks!

ironclm - driving from LA/leave Mon. ONT
Sally - driving from Vegas
Tsunami - ONT
Instigator - LAX/Wed-Sun PM
SDCali - driving
SoCalTriCurious - driving

Monty, Ashley, Wyatt, Morgan and Jessie
Marty?

Gail - driving over the mountain hopefully on Saturday

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One week! Bike has been dropped off with Fed Ex and weather checking has begun (so far so good with highs in the low 70s and NO rain or snow). Can't wait to see you all!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
instigator wrote:
One week! Bike has been dropped off with Fed Ex and weather checking has begun (so far so good with highs in the low 70s and NO rain or snow). Can't wait to see you all!!

Ditto!!

I'm flying to LA for work on Sunday. Can't wait.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gosh, guess it's time to get a car.

Does any one have a recommended packing list? Can anyone say how many times we do s, b, r? Two workouts a day? I assume I can leave the wetsuit at home. I need to get my things together! It's just occurred to me my flat kit holder wasn't fitting since I changed my saddle and I don't have a new plan for that yet. Hmmm.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven’t been to Camp in a few years buts it’s really unstructured and it’s up to you on how much you want to do and when. You can usually convince someone to join. But to actually answer your question, based on my past experiences, we usually ride each day. There are routes of various lengths and grades in all directions. There will be one that meet your cycling needs :). At least once we head over to the punchbowl for a long run. Some of us do bricks or shorter runs on the trails form the house. And there is the margarita mile on Saturday. The pool is in town and takes a bit to get there so we usually head there 1-2 times. It’s an amazing outdoor venue. So beautiful.

I haven’t gotten my workouts for next week but I expect it to be very bike heavy. I’m hoping I can convince someone to join me for hours in the saddle.

And laundry facilities are available. We usually do a load each day or so if that helps freeing up packing space.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me know when you are coming in ... if I can meet you, I will drive you over the hill even if I have to go home and go to work the next day. You won't need a car once you get there!

Keep me informed about the schedule, too, and I will try to come Saturday early enough to do something, but I already committed to run Sat am at the racetrack. At minimum I need to play MonTrivia and drink some MontyRitas, but I'd love to swim or ride or visit the Punchbowl Sat afternoon or Sunday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK thanks, this is helpful. Is the punchbowl trail running? I love trail running but haven't tried it since that fateful day when I worsened my labrum tear. Anyway, I'm debating packing my trail shoes, vs my road Newtons. Hmmm, and pool toys; never flown with those before. Hopefully no one will make fun of me if I bring a snorkel?

I would love to get in on the saddle swapping deal-e-oh. I'm not convinced I'm on the right one, yet. And biking daily sounds **fantastic**. I'm unsure I've been outside on a bike since Aug/Sept. Certainly not on my TT bike, at any rate.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. The punchbowl is trail running but all of the roads are perfect for running if that's more up your alley. I am a huge fan of trails and don't have many around me so I seek them out when I travel. I can't seem to remember what shoes I brought the last time I was out there. I will likely pack my trail Hokas but they are more of a cross trail/road shoes so they should be ideal for whatever we find out at Xantusia. And no one will make fun of you for bringing a snorkel. Just don't make fun of my fins :)

Being trapped in the Midwest, I am not sure when the last time I was actually trained outside on a bike. I've puttered around on a mountain bike a few times but I am pretty sure the tri bike hasn't been on the road since very later summer/early fall. At least this year my first outdoor ride won't be at a race which has been the case the last 3 years.

I am getting so excited. My bike arrives on Friday. I wish I was too.....
Quote Reply
Re: Womens Camp 2018 [Gee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gee, I come in at 6:30 pm on Tuesday, but my friend's mom will get me; I'm staying at her house for the evening. I'd be happy to accept a ride to camp if it works with your schedule. My biggest hurry upon arrival, aside from proper hello's and such, is to assemble my bicycle (which I'm flying with). So maybe you could let me know your thoughts for Wednesday and if I need to get a car, so be it.

Return trip I'm also going to my friend's mom's house, where I'll stay Sunday evening. I fly out Monday morning and she'll take me to the airport.

The house is in Upland, off 13th street between Mountain and Benson. If a ride only works one way (like on Sunday for example), I could see whether she'd be game for driving me out to Valyermo.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's the weather forecast. Two things to note - 1) the wind and 2) lows at night.

https://weather.com/...nday/l/USCA1189:1:US

Like instigator said - most people try to ride every day. Whomever wants to swim can drive to town and swim. You can run from the house, or do a Punchbowl run/hike.
Everything is very casual. I plan to swim, bike and walk (since I can't run). Can't wait!!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, it occurs to me that I can’t fit a bike box into my car! But everyone keep me apprised of the schedule and I will see if I can make it over the hill at least once.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This shows temps about 5 deg higher than weatherunderground, on which I didn't notice the wind.

I assumed it would be windy, partly b/c I don't know Valyermo and envision high desert with little to block wind, and partly b/c my super power (or villian power, depending on how you look at it) is bringing headwinds. Never tailwinds, unfortunately.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
OK thanks, this is helpful. Is the punchbowl trail running? I love trail running but haven't tried it since that fateful day when I worsened my labrum tear. Anyway, I'm debating packing my trail shoes, vs my road Newtons. Hmmm, and pool toys; never flown with those before. Hopefully no one will make fun of me if I bring a snorkel?

I too, am 5 weeks out post-surgery for a torn labrum. Riding isn’t too bad, but running hurts after 5-10 minutes and I’m substituting with elliptical for the time being. And no, nobody cares if you use a snorkel. At our age, modification that keeps us moving is the name of the game 😉

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply

Prev Next