Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wider chamois pad?
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure if it's my position (aero), saddle (V Flow Plus), or shorts (tri) but when I am on the tri bike all of my seat pressure is directly on the outer seams of the chamois pad and the edge of my saddle cutout (because it's a wide saddle). The edge of the chamois then digs into my skin and is really uncomfortable. Nothing's painful on the soft tissue, but I just seem to be putting my weight directly on the seams on a small surface area of the saddle. I went to my doc a day after a ride (unrelated) and she could see the outline of my bike seat all around my soft areas, there's that much pressure.

I'm not sure if the seat/cutout should be narrower, so that more of the pad is touching the seat (right now all of the pad "fits" in the large cutout, almost rendering the pad useless), or if the chamois itself can be wider so I am not putting pressure on the outer seams.

Has anyone experienced this and found a fix? I know there are a million saddle and shorts questions out there, I hope this isn't just a repeat of those. Thanks!
Last edited by: Lilac J: Jun 5, 10 12:03
Quote Reply
Re: Wider chamois pad? [Lilac J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pearl Izumi pads seem to run wider than other shorts.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i ride the v-flow max, and have had some similar issues. the voler sorrento pad (in the 2010 hammer nutrition kit shorts) is excellent, but the best so far has been the kiwami turbox. i wore them for a 100km ride last week and a rainy race yesterday, and i couldn't be happier with them!

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I have the same seat and have the exact same problem. Did you find any shorts that are better?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find that any type of chamois in the aero position is not good. Except what's in DeSoto tri shorts. But a cycling-type short...does not work.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Wider chamois pad? [kath21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't find a perfect solution, but things have improved. Tilting the seat up a bit did help actually, but that doesn't address the initial concern.

I agree with the less is more theory for the most part, but because tri shorts have smaller pads, they are the worst offenders for seams in the wrong place. The regular bike shorts have wider pads so the seams aren't the issue, but then there's too much padding down there. I haven't tried DeSoto tri shorts, but the bike shorts still bunch too much (plus they're too big on me, Emilio, make an XS please!). But people do like their tri shorts so that might be my next option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fyi, these are the hammer tri shorts i mentioned. for $40, they're a pretty good bargain and they work for me:

http://www.hammernutrition.com/...;subnavcat=triathlon

(they're not actually pink - more of a cherry red)

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
The pearl izumi shorts chamois runs so wide it causes a seem that cuts into me, not something I would recommend if you are on the smaller side.
Quote Reply