Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 11/3/08
Quote | Reply
How'd you do last week with respect to your goals? Give us the good and the bad and what you're going to change this week to make things better.

Me:
  • For the first time in a long time, I hit every one of my planned workouts. Felt great. Did 6 workouts (P90X videos) plus 2 30 minute treadmill runs. I'm already starting to feel stronger with the P90X stuff and I'm only in my 3rd week.
  • I feel like I ate properly and didn't go crazy, although the scale doesn't agree with me. Not sure what's happening, but I hope it's temporary.

Next week:
  • Continue with the P90X workouts. Get in as many runs as possible, plus possibly one trainer ride.
  • Be very conservative with my food this week to get off the extra lbs that have snuck on.

Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 11/3/08 [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good job on hitting all the workouts.

Last week:
* Write out training plan today. (DONE)
* Train every day. (DONE)
* Try out the early morning indoor bike training session. I used to go to the evening session last year and the bikes have power meters and it's a good session. I'm going Tuesday AM to try the 6:15 AM session. (DONE)
* Cyclcross race on Sunday. (DONE)

Met all my goals for the race yesterday--mainly riding all the downhillls (in the mud) and made two of the uphills that I didn't think I could do. Even passed a couple of people along the way.

This week:
Playing it by ear since I either seriously sprained or broke my big toe after the race yesterday. Walking around in flip flops, I jammed it into a raised bit of sidewalk and tripped and fell. Felt not bad while I was at the race, but by the time I got home and the truck unloaded and a shower, it was throbbing bad and turning purple. Today it doesn't throb, but hurts and I can't walk normally. I may have a lot of swimming in the near future.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goals for last week:
1) At least 1 strenght session -- Once again FAIL! Strength/core needs to become a priority.
2) Refocus on nutrition! -- Thought I did ok but like DawnT the scale does not agree. I guess I need to get way more diligent.

Goals for this week:
1) Get in 3 morning workouts -- I want to use this time change to my advantage to get my lazy self up for morning workouts.
2) Get in 2 strenght/core sessions
3) Finally have a weight loss show on the scale

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMFL -- 14:18 -- 1st time.

Did the pre-race swims Thur and Fri. Man, I love open water. And I biked the run course to make sure my bike was a-ok and everything was in check.

Race day.... what would I do differently? How about not pissing away 35 minutes at the aid stations on the bike! I had NO IDEA was was stopping for that long -- I thought I had stopped for 15 minutes tops. Around mile 40 I had to pee so bad that I waited in line for the port-o. Then I stopped at special needs. Then I had to pee again and I got some sun screen (75-ish?). Then my feet were numb and I just needed to stand up for a few and cope (mile 90?). My bike rolling time was 6:10, which I thought was okay for my first time out. But my race clock time was 6:45! Major WTF was I thinking! Also, for a part of the ride I was in the small chain ring and had no idea. At the end of the ride I geared up and flew past a ton of people. I was like DUH DUH DUH. So, yeah, need to get that together.

Goal for this week. Let the swelling go down in my ankles (they are black and blue!). Get a massage. Try not to over eat. That's about it. I'll probably go to Masters practice this Sunday.

Sarah
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 11/3/08 [squesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CONGRATULATIONS SARAH!!! Way to go! Sounds like you had a very successful day. All those little things you mentioned are nothing in the grand scheme of things. Those are the things that you work on for next time. The first IM is all about finishing strong and getting some experience at going that long. Congrats again. Any chance for a full RR?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week:

1) Do 1 stretch cord workout

Got it in...will be doing this more to get some resistance training in...

2) get in over 7 hours of training

did 7:37...good week...

3) diet back to 173 by weeks end

yep..dieted my way back to 173 2 lbs down after I drifted up the last few weeks...

4) Have a good performance at the Night Orienteering event Saturday night. Avoid any major misses on the controls on the Advanced course. I have a hard time reading the map at night and this adds to the difficulty of navigating at night. If me and my wife can go at it steady, and take safer routes, we should be able to do well....

had a decent result...no big mistakes but to much stopping and hesitating....still averaged at my long run heart rate for the 1:45 we were out there so we got a decent workout...could have been 10-15 minutes faster if we had had a real good result but I will take it....

This weeks goals:

1) Get to 172 lbs a couple times this week
2) Get in 7 hours of training
3) Do 2 Stretch cord workouts...
4) pick up Mt bikes after getting them tuned up for practice Adventure Race next week...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goal: do shoulder baby weights every other day. NOPE.
Goal: do abs every other day. DID ABS TWICE.
Goal: swim well at my meet. NOPE. Well - I didn't hit my time goals - 6:05 in the 500 (wanted it at least under 6!) and 2:47 in the 200 IM (I think I said <2:40). My excuse: fatigue.

Elaborating on that excuse: I have/had an inflamed nerve in my foot, and got a cortisone shot on Wed. Woke up in the middle of the night with more pain and inflammation than I'd had before. I had an allergic reaction to it - am on prednisone now to settle THAT down. But, it cancelled running for the rest of the week, so I swam more. By the time I got to Friday I knew there was no way I'd hit the time goals for the meet, so I did a normal workout Friday, a workout Saturday AM, and then the meet in the afternoon. Getting yards in, the times that matter are what I swim in Dec. at championships. And actually the times I swam, when I was tired, are good for being tired. Make sense?

Training totals for the week:
swim - 48,200 yds (9x)
bike - 1:48 (1x)
run - 27.5 mi (4x)

don't even want to talk about weight/nutrition. Is frustrating right now. Lost 0.4 lbs (that's within normal variation right?).

GOALS FOR THIS WEEK:
1. race this weekend... will be a swim meet, a 5k, or a 7 mi trail run - or maybe 2 of those 3.
2. abs and shoulder baby weights every other day!!! (I did them yesterday and today, am off to a good start here)
3. Get back to running as my foot allows (ran 8 mi this morning, seems to be ok. Can run as long as pain doesn't go over a 3 on a 1 to 10 scale).
4. Work on my thesis every day.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 11/3/08 [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cathy - Yikes - hope it's not broken. Heal quickly!

Dawn - nice job getting all the workouts in.

Sarah - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Last edited by: tigerchik: Nov 3, 08 11:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 11/3/08 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Not broken but badly bruised and sprained.

http://www.facebook.com/...1d5&id=595830044

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations Sarah!! Awesome job!

One word to sum up my week- SHITTY

In Las Vegas Sun-Wed for a conference so my workouts consisted of lifting beer to mouth and drinking and repeat and repeat and repeat again

I did a local sprint and got 2/50 AG so that was fun...

Still reeling from the calories I put away in Vegas.

This week- first masters swim tonight! I'll see how it goes from there.

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Week was fair. I am trying to not be all down on myself. Finally feel like I'm getting over the cold that wouldn't go away. I think I was expecting too much of myself - although I did do some of it - with what I hoped to do. I just hope that the past several weeks of so little training does not impact my overall longterm fitness too much - well - I guess it won't in the long run. Ha I just answered my own question.

Said I wanted to do 2-3 of everything.
What I did:

2 trainer sessions on bike
2 runs (one hard & hilly)
no swims ;-(
1 strength workout, I have a new one about 20 minutes, only bodyweight. It's good.

Food, good news I did not gain more weight, lost 1/2 pound.

Still have not been outside on bike! for 2 weeks! I miss it! Going tomorrow if it doesn't rain.

This week
2 swims, 2-3 bikes, 2 runs, 2 strength sessions

FOOD HEALTHY eating.

OHHH I did forget to say this - one of my runs last week was on Sunday morning, at 6:30!!! I was visiting Mom and some other family, actually dragged my butt out of the warm bed to run before anyone else was up. BOY did I feel smug. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 11/3/08 [minniepearl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL on the feeling smug. Glad you're feeling better.

Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 11/3/08 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it was pretty funny, the smug thing. Actually when I came back, my sister had just woken up and said - you look sorta smug, I said, oh, I guess I feel smug, she said well you should! I would too if I had just gone for a run!
Quote Reply