Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Office food/coworker rant
Quote | Reply
OK I know this has been brought up before but I have the need to rant.
So there is always some 'reason' to eat cake, donuts etc at work. I rarely do, and never make a deal about it. I think I may have even started a thread like this before sorry! But I really never know what to say.

When someone noticed that I was just drinking tea she YELLED: Hey what's the matter with you? are you on a DIET or something?

I was speechless. Her tone was almost...accusing? like, WTF is wrong with you?

Then someone said, oh she always eats healthy.

WHY DO THEY CARE? argh it is SO frustrating I can't stand it.

But I didn't deal with it well, I blushed, stammered and said something about having dietary restrictions or some BS. I need a snappy not too bitchy comeback. Actually I don't want to be bitchy I'd like to maybe make people aware that some people DO have dietary restrictions and they know what to eat and not eat. Also, I do not want to be 200 pounds like they are. But, Id like to point out that it was very rude.
Quote Reply
Re: Office food/coworker rant [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love to egg some of my co-workers on and create mythical legends about myself. It is quite fun. For instance, there was a cake day not too long ago in here and folks asked me if I was going to partake. I said "sorry, I am only allowed cake once / year and I save that for my birthday." So now a bunch of the girls in the office ask me all the time how I go a full year only eating cake once. Of course, I then have to elaborate and come up with even MORE wild lies just to keep the story going. Sometimes, i have to write the stuff down so i don't forget where I am. Oh, the endless amounts of fun. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Office food/coworker rant [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh my goodness, M~ you and I are the same person. I used to do the same thing when I worked in an office. And i have a nasty habit of making up different lives for myself when I find myself seated next to Chatty Cathy on a flight. For instance, when asked what I do I'll make up something totally different from what it is I currently do just to see how long i can keep up the facade. Cirque de Soleil artist was a favorite of mine though you can't then complain about being cramped in the airplane seats. :)

As for dealing with the coworkers (though I think M~'s idea is best!) when I'm faced with something I don't want to eat or know I shouldn't I simply say that I have a thyroid condition and shouldn't eat XYZ. I'm not totally lying since I do have a thyroid condition but it does not prevent me from eating, for example, processed meats like I've led some people to believe.

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just tell people I'm a runway model

today I had a veggie burger and a salad for lunch and was asked, 'are you going to eat ALL that?" this is harder for me to deal with than not wanting a piece of cake... I really didn't think it was that big a lunch. comment was from the same person who told me last week, "you look like you could use a cupcake"

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about "What's the matter with YOU". But then again, I tend to have little patience for rude people.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd have been inclined to say: "What, so I should be fat like you?"

Mind you, I'm kind of an asshole...

I do like doughnuts though :)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I rarely eat crap like that."

But I've been here so long so they already know.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use the ole honest approach - nah, don't want any. Works like a charm everytime.

Cake pales in comparison to the real deal anyway- praline King Cake during the Mardi Gras season. Nobody pressures anybody to eat that, cuz it means more for us if they don't. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to admit I love donuts and yummy pastries and the like but I have a pretty high standard for these kinds of things. Most cakes taste like oil, and make me ill to the stomach. Anything major-grocery-store-bought is nasty and I avoid them at all costs.

Last place I worked at, the rule was home-made or no-way for the b-day treats. Man, some wicked stuff was to be had. I still remember fondly the Peach Pie of summer 2005 ;-). At this job, it's usually a pub lunch for b-days (which can be deadly), so I just opt out with a "I have to run" or "I have to work thru so I can leave early." I join in when it makes sense for me.

I am constantly eating at work, the comment I get most is "are you eating again?" But most people also realize that I am not generally eating garbage.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Office food/coworker rant [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
the rule was home-made or no-way...

Pfffft - If I were to show up with something from Tartine you'd knock me on my ass to get some quicker!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My fav comeback which I heard somewhere, not sure where ...

"Shhh... better keep your voice down or someone will find out what an asshole you are"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why is the office culture all about food hate crimes. i mean, why doesn't someone show up with a fruit salad or sushi to celebrate......? And what about those gross corporate gift baskets full of junk during the holidays?

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com
Quote Reply
Re: Office food/coworker rant [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I'd have been inclined to say: "What, so I should be fat like you?"

Hehehehe. Love your attitude Khai. That's what I'd probably say. So realize you're not the only A-hole on board.:-)

My wife is a teacher and works with a bunch of fattie co-workers so has to put up this type of thing at her school all the time.
Last edited by: cerveloguy: Jun 27, 08 20:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad I don't deal with this at all. I work with three guys and the only part of our day that revolves around food is, "what are we gonna do for lunch today?".

Quote | Reply
This has been such a pet peeve of mine. At work, I find that co-workers have no problem assessing what I put on my plate and commenting on it simply because I am fit and not a blimp. Can I do the same to them? "Hmmm, you sure you want to eat that jelly-filled donut? Maybe the fresh fruit would be a better choice if you are really serious about losing that extra poundage you talk about constantly." Such a double standard!
Quote Reply
Re: Office food/coworker rant [byrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been so tempted to say something like this! the thing that was weird is it was like she was angry because I WASN'T eating a donut. I agree, a good pastry worth it, and yummy, but cmon these were dunkin donuts! and its not like it was willpower or holier than thou discipline, I honestly just didnt want one. Gross.
Another time a male manager, about 250lbs, said at a gathering: cmon have some pizza! we need to fatten you up!
can you believe that?
what if I said: put that pizza down, we need to slim you down you are too fat?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I worked pre-kid I NEVER ate anything anyone offered me at work. Usually it was nasty store purchased garbage. Everyone just knew "Leslie, she doesn't eat that"....about twice a month there was always some stupid buffet. A friend of mine (also a healthy eater) and I would make something out of pressure but would always dish out something for ourselves prior to ever putting it out for the herd to devour. I'll always remember the day when a co-worker was standing next to some kind of bean dish, as I was walking by, and says "Damn....I lost a nail, I hope its not in there".....

Quote | Reply
Ha see I try the No I dont want any and that is met with disbelief. And anger? weird.
For medical reasons I may in a few weeks have to go on a low iodine diet. I think their head may explode. This means: NO: bread, restaurant food of any kind, NO dairy, no soy, NO beans maybe one cup of lentils a day, NO rice only one cup of basmati a day. Basically just veg and fruit and only a bit of meat and oh yeah, NO fish, the only kind I do eat, and only egg whites. Yep their heads will explode! I may not have to (its for a treatment with radioactive iodine) but I am already dreading it.
SO, no donuts for sure!
I used to work in a grade school and that was hard too, cupcakes all the time, etc. I think food in the teachers lounge replaced the days of smoking there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
When someone noticed that I was just drinking tea she YELLED: Hey what's the matter with you? are you on a DIET or something?

"Yes, I am. I have a race coming up, and if I don't lose 5 pounds, I won't fit into my wetsuit." (Of course, I'm not insinuating you need to lose 5 pounds to fit into your wetsuit. That's my own issue.)

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a brief (2.5 month) stint in the corporate world before I joined my boyfriend and friend in my present job at our own little company. The office food issue was one of the things I hated most (besides the pointless work). I worked with mostly all women. I'll be blunt: they were fat. Every morning they would chow down on Krispy Kremes and then lunch would roll around and they would marvel at how I could eat 2 bagel sandwiches (turkey, provolone, tomato on a bagel, terrible, right?). They also complained constantly about how they had no time to work out because of how much we had to work (hmmm...I was still fitting in 2 hrs a day at the time).

I also loved how they never drank water, it was always those crap-filled energy drinks. One girl made a huge production out of changing her habits to drink protein-enriched water -- um, if you're trying to lose weight, not working out AT ALL, why bother with the added calories of protein??

So so so thankful for my job now...

-Amy
Powder7 Ski Shop, Golden, Colorado
Quote Reply
Re: Office food/coworker rant [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know, the nice thing about that answer, which I've actually used rather than joked about using on the internets, is that effectively stop the question from being asked ever again. Ever.

Altenatively, the original poster may just want to roll her eyes and not give any response at all; she seems pretty worked up about a mere incident. It's not like she had really bad leg cramps.
Last edited by: Learn: Jun 30, 08 12:56
Quote Reply
Re: Office food/coworker rant [Learn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Altenatively, the original poster may just want to roll her eyes and not give any response at all; she seems pretty worked up about a mere incident. It's not like she had really bad leg cramps.
Ya, obviously she should have just taken a hot shower because that would have made her feel better right away.

Quote | Reply
Yes, of course. If she took the hot shower with me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can't win because they'll say something even if you do eat the cake. I get things like "it must be nice to be able to eat whatever you want" or "you're so lucky that you don't have to diet"...Luck has nothing to do with it! I exercise all the time! I stopped letting it make me feel guilty and now I just over exaggerate the big mouthful I take and the pleasure I get out of the flavor. They finally stopped after that...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been dealing with this for quite awhile. Yeah, I eat energy bars at work quite a bit. I have been called everything from anorexic to the guy who "just doesn't eat".

Tell this person that maybe she should consider following your lead.
Quote Reply

Prev Next