Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Merchandise - Made in China?
Quote | Reply
Like most newbies that visit the IM Merchandise shop prior to the race, I got a little swept away with all the glamour of IM branding. Only to find out a month or so later - What poor quality, is this stuff made in China?

"Stainless Steel" coffee mug - the cover is missing a small ventilation hole, which makes it difficult to drink out of and the screw on cover doesn't fit right so the coffee drips on you when angling to savor.

IM Zip Up Jacket - this is the women's black zip up made by K Swiss. The IM branding on the back must be pressed/ironed on so when you wash it, it begins to curl and (I'm assuming) will eventually peel away.

What crap! Especially given the cost of these items, I guess I paid for the prestige associated with the items and not quality. Hopefully someone from Ironman will read this (and give me a new lid for me coffee cup, one with a ventilation hole ?!?).

Anyone else need to rant about their IM stuff?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Merchandise - Made in China? [i-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I resisted the temptation to buy most things but did get a bike jersey the last time hubby did Hawaii. The jersey seems to be wearing just fine. As for the other stuff, I don't enjoy buying over priced stuff so I don't buy it. Sorry to hear your gear is turning to junk!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I-Tri, please contact christi@ironman.com regarding this inquiry. No need to slam the brand, they've been helpful in any issues I've had.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One year at IMUSA I had also volunteered registration before the race, and was staying later in LP, so I went to the 'volunteers banquet' after and was surprised to see that they were selling TONS of IM fleece and tshirts at like less than 1/2-1/3 the price!! really! thought most of it odd sizes and not the stuff that would sell first, so there was nothing there I really wanted...but just goes to show how much its marked up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of the IM gear at IM China was made in Thailand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, if I remember to take my reading glasses, I do try to read where the merchandise is manufactured. It's really hard not to find stuff made in China, whether you avoid China for quality concerns or labor concerns or otherwise. When I was on business travel in Ireland three years ago, I went to a Royal Dalton shop trying to find some nice pottery items, and all the pottery was "Designed in Ireland, Made in China"! I won't launch into a political diatribe about China; it's a beautiful incredibly complex country with horrible labor conditions and so much subcontracting (with no quality assurance checkpoints) that it's frightening. There was a great article in Runner's World maybe a year or two ago about how all the "American" running shoe companies have their footwear manufactured at the same factories in China; and the article made some really excellent points about QA oversights to ensure you are getting what you are supposed to (reference case study on the pet food poisoning).

As for made in Thailand, you really have to understand the various labor practices in all the countries that do mass manufacturing if you are concerned about fair labor practices. I don't know offhand where Thailand stacks up against other countries like Indonesia, Vietnam, etc. If you care about that kind of stuff, do some research about labor practices and read the labels to find out where the stuff is made.

Not to be a wise gal, but as for that ventilation hole for your coffee mug, why don't you just drill one yourself? You do have a drill, don't you? No woman should be without one.

BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Re: IM Merchandise - Made in China? [brokenspoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is with people's obsession in having the M-Dot plastered on every item they own?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Merchandise - Made in China? [textbookturtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its like NASCAR but this way rather than just wear the stuff you can say you did it. Or not. Lots of people wear it that haven't done it. And that's ok by me. I am embarassed by what I bought my first year and I never wore anything again that said Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Merchandise - Made in China? [textbookturtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's this people obsession with China making crap stuff?

Nearly all carbon stuff is made in China, and is made very well. Ford, GMC, Chevy are all made in good ol' USA too...

If the M-Dot stuff is junk it's not because China can't make nice things, it's just because of the WTC requirements to make cheap things they can sell for a big chunk of cash to...idiots (and guilty as charged...once).
Quote Reply
Re: IM Merchandise - Made in China? [Fraussie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What's this people obsession with China making crap stuff?

Nearly all carbon stuff is made in China, and is made very well. Ford, GMC, Chevy are all made in good ol' USA too...

If the M-Dot stuff is junk it's not because China can't make nice things, it's just because of the WTC requirements to make cheap things they can sell for a big chunk of cash to...idiots (and guilty as charged...once).

Totally agree.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ITri,

I don't know why eveyone is sticking up for IM products and China. In this case you have products that you don't like and they say "made in china"!
While everything that is made in China is not bad, it's no secret that companies like IM make a decision to make a very high profit on cheap and subpar quality products that are made in China and other places in the Pacific. It's their responsibility to find vendors that make a quality product that you have a good experience with.

I share your exact same opinion on most of their products. I believe they have clearly made a decision to buy the cheapest products they can find, glue, paint, stick, iron
on an M-dot and sell it at a high profit.

PS...I have that same stupid coffee cup....stainless steel, it weighs about .1oz and drips coffee all over my shirts!

KR

Quote Reply
Re: IM Merchandise - Made in China? [Fraussie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the 'obsession' comes with not wanting to support unfair labour practices...how do you think they make the stuff so cheap?
Quote Reply