Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How was your week? Nov. 10 Edition
Quote | Reply
Hope the womens are well!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 10 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
goals for this week
get back on track with eating Saturday was a little hard because of the rest day .I made a food plan but didn't stick to it. I binged Tuesday.
day off from running DONE! took a day off from everything actually. Am proud of how I varied the run mileage this week.
probably racing this weekend raced a 16 mile trail race. Did not know "trail" meant "hill". It was up and down three mountains (small mountains but still). 2:53, average of 10:51 pace, 3rd in AG . There might have only been 3 people in my AG. :-) Decided I do not like trail racing, too much steep uphill and steep downhill. But I stepped out of my comfort zone and did it. :-) and it was an adventure.
swim 5-6 times done
bike commute 4 days only 3. too foggy on Friday
long ride if I don't race. n/a as I raced

M: 6.4 mi run + 3400 yd swim + 6 mi bike
T: 6.5 mi run (2 x 1 mi @ 6:40 pace) + 3600 yd swim + 6 mi bike
W: 9.5 mi run + 1000 yd swim
T: 5 mi run + 4000 yd swim + 6 mi bike
F: 8.5 mi (descending quarters) + 1000 yd swim
S: off
S: 16 mi trail race

totals 13,000 yd swim + 18 mi bike + 51.9 mi run

nad, if you are reading this, I am coming for you on Big Kahuna ;-)

goals for this week
bike more miles than I run. Commute + long ride
at least 1 day off from running
swim 5-6 times
DON'T BINGE. This is a very busy week with school and evening activities and I know I am going to get tired, which is my biggest trigger.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't do much of anything last week, which was the plan, but still sucked. Tired and sore from the trail half marathon last weekend (and yes, "trail" almost always means "hills, hills, HILLS!").

Had a great day hanging with the bean (2.5 years old) yesterday and I'm super happy to be back to a training schedule this week.
Still waiting to hear back about dream job.

Goals for this week - get back to Tri training after a three year hiatus

M: Rest day
T: First ever masters swim, strength day
W: Light run and light bike
Th: Run and Yoga
Fr: Second ever masters swim, bike
Sa: Run
Su: Bike
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 10 Edition [FyreHaar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did you like masters swimming?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always lurk here, but I'd like to join in...

Last week was supposed to be:

run 6x (yes! got them all)
bike 2x (nope - only once)
swim 2x (did it)
yoga 2x (nope, only once)

Overall really pleased as I've never done 6 runs in a single week before - and I told my coach that as long as I got all my runs in, I'd consider the week a success.

This week is less:

run 5x
bike 2x
swim 2x
yoga 2x

But - life has turned upside down as on Friday I accepted a job two provinces away, and now I have 8 weeks to get my current life together and move - without my husband and kids, who will follow at the end of the school year. Big, exciting changes! So I'm hoping to make some new online, like-minded friends as the next 6-8 months of training may be both hectic and lonely (husband trains too so normally he's my support network!).

Nice to "meet" you all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome lepfan72!

Last week's goals
:

Swim x 4: FAIL. Pool closed for "emergency filter maintenance" on Thurs, so 3 only.
Bike x 2: FAIL. I did ride 2 x but lunch ride + after work ride on 1 day only. Did not get a weekend ride.
Run x 6: WIN.
Core/strength x 4: WIN

Running has been going well, which is good as my last race of the season is Sunday.

Coming home from work Friday to discover we'd been robbed is still rankling, especially since the thief dumped the stuff out of my swim backpack to make off with my husband's xbox360. What he didn't dump out: the new 20 activity swim pass I paid $75 for on Tuesday and hadn't even used yet. Have heard back from the facility manager with a simple response of "sorry, we don't offer refunds or replacements - put it on your insurance claim". Since there was so little taken (xbox360 w/cords, controller, bunch of games, my swim bag) it's probably not even worth making a claim, and it might not be approved anyway since husband had left the back door unlocked. I swam at a different pool on the weekend, but it's more expensive & less practical for weeknight swims, so it looks like I'll have to fork over another $75 tomorrow evening.

This week's goals:
Swim x 1
Run x 6
Core/strength x 2
Mobility/stretch x 4

Sunday will be a double run day at the Kona Chocolate Run, which will also be my first international race. Staying with friends-who-are-family Friday & Saturday night so if I want to hunt a 10k PR in the first race I'll have to stick to my guns re: not boozing & staying up late partying, since I'll have to be up at 4:30am on Sunday.

I'm a real ray of fucking sunshine.

Cheers!
-mistress k

Quote | Reply
It's coming up tomorrow, so I'll let you know! I'm scared. I learned to swim at age 30 to do my first tri - five years ago. I'm extremely slow in the water. I have water anxiety but I'm not allowed to say I'm afraid of the water anymore - that got ruled out after I proclaimed how much I love swimming open water in the SF Bay (god bless wetsuits).

So I know the masters is gonna give me huge bang for my buck and get me great race results, I'm just working through the intimidation factor and the Get up at 5 AM factor.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 10 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow, it is really too bad the pool wasn't more understanding. :-( and that you were robbed in general but people could be nice and help out when stuff like that happens.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 10 Edition [lepfan72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
welcome!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The two down weeks were just what I needed.... I feel like I've totally bounced back. And, I discovered that a magnesium supplement and iron supplement should probably be taken at separate times. So I started doing that.

On another note - it's been bothering me that I have been taking allergy medicine (Zyrtec) daily since like June or something. I ran out again over the weekend and so I tried to go without. Last night while trying to get to sleep I started wheezing again and broke down and took a generic benadryl. This morning on my run I was short of breath and wheezing... at its worst this year I was waking up in the middle of the night wheezing and feeling like I couldn't breathe.
I mean shoot, my weather is practically near freezing. Allergens should be dead by now... and if they're not they will be after this weekend! We are supposed to be quite cold this weekend.

This week - run 5x swim 2x strength 2x and bike 3x, including CX races on Sun. - I borrowed a friend's single speed CX bike so I'm going to try my hand at single speed racing! Friend is convinced I'll "LOVE" it and need to buy another (yet another) bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nad, if you are reading this, I am coming for you on Big Kahuna ;-)

HAHAHA I laughed pretty hard at this. With your youth and energy, you can crush me any time you want. I'm just honored to be in the conversation. My only goal (for both of us) is to finish out the year healthy and happy. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome lepfan72 - I'm relatively new around here too but the womens are a friendly bunch :-)

So my goal was to be more active than I had been the previous week and I was! I ran x 5, swam x 2 (once at Vancouver Aquatic Centre where I loved the long course pool) and had a bouldering lesson with some friends. Oh, and there's been some snow shovelling since this is Alberta and no November would be complete without snow. Bouldering was awesome and I was blown away by the way our teacher seemed to move absolutely effortlessly across the wall. In my head I am that graceful when I work out...

This week: run x 6, swim x 3 (1 down), bike x 3 (hopping on the bike after this), any resistance work is a bonus. After 2.5 weeks away from home I am trying to get the eating back on track, specially since I put on 5lbs while I was away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm skipping the snow shovelling upper body workout for full body workouts via body surfing. Hawaii is pretty nice... I will run at least once on Ali'i drive before we leave - the heat is making it hard to get motivated.

Theft sucks mistressk. The feeling of violation is worse than the actual loss.

Welcome aboard lepfan72! That's a whole lotta change. Which way are you moving - west or east?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week:
Ride x 6 - got 5
Run x 1 - Nope

This week:
Ride x 6

I would've made it, but I got take out on Friday night and it happened to not agree with me. I did get a good ab workout, though. :-( Recovered on Saturday from that experience, and then had a great ride on Sunday. My body definitely remembers being in shape, and it was a beautiful, crisp, windy morning with the smell of leaves in the air. (And then it still got up to almost 80, because Bay Area!)

Ankle seems to be holding up well. It's a little upset today, but yesterday with the ride and some (okay, big) tweaks to bike fit I unclipped on that side more than I have probably in the last three months. So, it makes sense that it's complaining and a little nervy. Probably need to ice it tonight.

Still trying to get surgery weight off. Hopefully this just happens naturally. I need to remember to eat like an athlete, though. Food has a purpose (and not just to taste delicious.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well i 'm a little skeered. i originally had planned an IM for late January but then really wanted to do IMCOZ also. and i thot i'd be good with that recently but then on Saturday i sliced my foot open and have been swimming only. was able to ride 5 hours on Sunday but hurty foot. i have a 2 hr run scheduled tomorrow so if that goes well i think i'll enter IMCOZ. i love that race. :) but now that it is getting closer i'm getting skeered cause IM is hard wah wah wah.

in other news, after 7 years we decided to have a front wall and door. so abaniles are making us a wall and door now. will be weird.

so any pearls or wisdom regarding IM 11/30 and IM 1/25? stupid?

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, I've done it! I loved it. Getting out in the dark (5:30 AM start), swimming in the dark, driving home to the sunrise. Really great. I only had to share the lane with one person, yay slow lane! I thought about bailing 20 minutes in but I made the whole hour. I'm really happy with my level of fitness, considering how long it's been since I swam.

It is so much more serious than my triathlon swim sessions were. Or maybe just ambitious. No lollygagging, just down to business. Of course today was a day to work on backstroke, which I have done very little of. At least it wasn't butterfly! I feel like a boss right now.

I'm excited to go back on Friday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what yoga do you do? i keep MEANING to do it but find pretty much every excuse known to man to NOT do it. :) i used to do Ashtanga long ago and far away but i broke my thumb a few weeks ago and (yay?) excuse not to do it? :)

so what and how do you do?

oh, and welcome!

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 10 Edition [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to everyone for the welcome. :)

I bought a membership at a Moksha (hot yoga) studio near my place - I was doing it years ago before I ever started running or doing triathlon, so when I needed the stretching I went back. I generally like it, but finding time to go can be a challenge. Definitely helps my tight hips, hamstrings and calves though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week was going to be "cram as much in to a week as practical" - 5 skates (5 done), 4 runs (4 done), 2 drills/weights/core (not done - FAIL) and watch the food (3 days consulting/ working offsite often leads to poor food choices - I did well at the off-site, but kinda poorly on the weekend - it was a 4 day weekend as I had Mon and Tues off as well). Also got in a few really nice hikes, the last one in the first SNOW of the year!

My doggie's not running right now :-( so I won't be doing my usual 6am runs for a few weeks. She's on some meds and definitely doesn't want to run, so I have to let her get better - but I admit I'm pretty sad about it. Our morning runs were some of my favourite times. So I'll have to really try to get out at lunchtime for my runs. I also registered for the World's Masters Winter Games (Short track, long track and marathon skate), so no going back now - 10 weeks left!

Goals for the week:
- Skate 4x
- Run 5x
- Core/Drills 2x (really going to try this time!!!)
- Be accountable for 100% of what I cram in my pie-hole.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 10 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the welcome!

Do you mind sharing whereabouts in Alberta you are?

That's where we're moving to - Red Deer, to be exact. I've never lived in AB, so this is a new adventure!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in Vegreville which is about an hour east of Edmonton. I've only ever driven through Red Deer so don't know much about it. We moved to AB about 2.5 years ago from England so I certainly know all about the adventure side of it. Feel free to message me if you have any questions :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey y'all... it's been a while. Life... kinda exploded. I finally got over the feeling of violation from having my husband's boss's girlfriend stalk me and read my posts here, which has always felt very personal and like a confession to trusted comrades. I ate crow and repaired the relationship - we're actually having Thanksgiving dinner with them next week.

That seems like forever ago, to be honest. I started travelling every other week for work... and then my husband was diagnosed with cancer.

So I flew home, picked him up from the hospital, now cancer free... and threw my back out lugging my suitcase.

Back finally healed and I got a horrific cold.

Cancer scare and related medical finances finally nudged me to go to a doctor and address my anxiety and depression issues (which were only a little exacerbated by the work and cancer... right...).

SO! After 2.5 months of nothing but the energy expended in crying, I rode my bike for 8 miles last night while my husband gently walked on the treadmill. I'm also back on anti-depressants and waiting for the call from the therapist to get that going. I'm setting an aggressive goal (for me) of 100 miles by EOY. Start 2015 off right. Un-clench my jaw for over 10 straight minutes.

Oh, and I got an email from my gym that they were re-branding... I'm miffed and am going in tomorrow to figure out if it's still what I want (ie: a pool and use up the rest of my personal trainer time, as he started cancelling on me when I moved to every-other-week with work travel).

-------------

MistressK - My sincerest sympathies for the theft - that is a huge pain in the ass.
Lepfan72 - Welcome!
FyreHarr - Congrats on taking on the challenge of something new!
Determination - I will send some extra UT snow to kill all that effing pollen.
edbikebabe - SO Jealous - I've changed my entire wardrobe and style to accommodate UT winter.
Tigerchik - Good for you for trying a new kind of biking! Remember when you're stressed to still be kind to yourself (a few treats are good for the soul).

Love,

AC

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 10 Edition [AC Tri Girl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been wondering how you were doing. Sounds like life has thrown you some big curve balls, but also that you are being pretty proactive. Good for you for getting to a doctor. Hopefully you can slowly start to relax/unwind/unclench.

I'm fully back to winter gear. The break was nice (but short) - now back to real life & all it's headaches & cold weather.

Good job on the exercise. I was reminded this week how even a little activity goes a long way when life seems out of control.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 10 Edition [AC Tri Girl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Firstly, I am sorry about your husband's diagnosis. Happy to hear that you are getting professional help for the anxiety and depression.

You are impressive to have repaired the relationship with HER stalking YOU.

HUGS!!!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 10 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - any recommendations on your fave winter gear? I'm now good on jackets and boots... but maybe a fave brand for under-layers or gloves? Hope the headaches pass swiftly!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply

Prev Next