Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How was your week? Earth Day edition
Quote | Reply
Rough week for the US last week, but hope everyone's training went well.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Earth Day edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My goals were 4 of each sport (run and swim done; cycling 3x but only if you count the 3-4 mi commute three days). Hip and shoulder exercises a couple of times, and my other goal was to decide on races for the year. I signed up for a 10k swim on May 18. I have my eye on a few others but have such trouble committing... anyway, there's one commitment.

M - 10 mi run + 3500 yd swim
T - 8 mi run + 2000 yd swim
W - 7 mi run + 4800 yd swim
T - 6 mi run
F - 8.6 mi run + 5000 yd swim
S - 6 mi run + 5000 yd swim
S - 8 mi run

Totals 53 mi run + 20,300 yd swim + 10 mi bike + 8 ish miles walking.
Fun experiences for the week: polo (on horses) Friday - roommate is on the team and taught me how to ride (or tried to) then I got to chase a polo ball :-) also took the dog for a walk Sun. for the first time ever, which was a blast.

Eating 6/7

Goals this week - 4 of each sport (1 swim, 1 bike done), one of the swims LONG.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Last edited by: tigerchik: Apr 22, 13 13:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice! the 10k swim race sounds cool... and polo? wow. crazee :-)

I spent last week grousing about not being at camp but I did get in some good times with the fam. I did a bunch of shorter runs, after taking Monday off, and did a 25k on Sat. This was "recovery" week, so that's fine, main thing for me is to feel good running... and recover properly.

This week: next big week - the biggest!
M: 6k am/ 6k with intervals @ lunch - DONE and both felt great!
T: 8k am/ optional lunch run
W: 8k am with strides
R: 6k ez/optional lunch run
F: off
Sat: 60-65k. Yes you read that right.
Sun: 10-20k. Ditto here too.

If I can get this week under my belt, than I will be pretty close to ready. I have a 1/2 marathon the following week, then a 50k the week after that. Then taper time begins.

41 DAYS TO GO!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running is progressing. I seem to be definitely pain free on the left hand side of a slightly crowned road. If that's not an option or doesn't work out, I get a bit sore in the area that had previously been PAINFUL. I got up to 6miles last Friday. Ran 4x.
Did my first ever road bike race on Sunday. It was an interesting experience. Here's a recap:

The race was weird. Husband says women’s bike racing is very ‘negative’, meaning typically there are no breakaways and anything interesting happening and then everyone sprints at the finish.
So my goal was to stay with the lead group. The husband said to never be on the front, but that’s where I found myself halfway through the first lap. So, I figured well, if I’m out here, I’m going to go a speed that won’t ruin me for later. So I did. I think I was going like 12mph. Seriously. I figured if they didn’t like it, someone could come around and take over. No one did. Eventually one of my teammates called me off the front. So I went back, and not too long afterwards there was a surge. I thought, OK, now the racing begins. The surge was short lived and we were back to moving rather slowly. Mostly, we rode along at a decent pace (what that was, I don’t know, no computer), with some surges here and there. It was 32 miles, 8 miles per loop, 4 loops. We got “neutralized” when a men’s race passed us, then it was 'game on' again. What surprised me as well was how slowly everyone went around corners. It was like woah, slow way down, then immediately out of the corner ‘sprint’ for maybe 50-100 yards. Once I knew that was the game, I had no problems going along with this. There was only one hill, and it was near the start of the loop with a tailwind, so it wasn’t really an issue.
On the last lap, at one point I got gapped – I was in the pack, riding along, but then somehow I was going ‘backwards’ and the field was going up the road. Not sure how that happened. I was silently grumbling to myself, thinking oh crap, I’m done. I was ready to give up. But then I didn’t, when I saw the area with several corners coming up. At the big slowdown for the corner I caught back on. Then I moved up through the field slowly so I was about the front 1/3 or so and just hung out. Things got speedier (Finally!) when we neared 1k to go. Things were ramping up. Until we saw 2 cars not moving in the road, just after the 200m sign, with a guy on the deck (laying in the road) in front of them. The cars were purposely blocking the road so that no one would hit the guy. No one knew what to do, including me. They had made a big deal of ‘don’t cross the center line’ in the pre-race instructions but to get around this we would have to do just that. So we did. But more slowly and cautiously than a real finish. After that, there was a large strong acceleration but I certainly wasn’t going full out sprint. I guess I was a little bummed because I didn’t get to see what a real finish was like.

So to me it was weird because most of it was just like being out for a group ride. Husband always said bike racing is really hard but I kept wondering when it was going to get hard. Until that one part where I got popped and it was hard. But then I caught back on again and it totally wasn’t hard.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Earth Day edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like road racing here too. Every once in a while there will be an attempt at a break away - but they rarely stick.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Earth Day edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which is why I love crits, esp with premes. FAST FAST FAST and HARD HARD HARD - oh and over in ~40min ;-)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll chime in on this thread since I never have and this weekend I was almost feeling like a triathlete again.

I was the runner on a team for a local duathlon. 2.5 miles through dusty vineyards, a 10 mile mt bike ride then another 2.5 mile run. It was fun and wonderful to see all the local tri group who are so awesome and friendly. My teammate and I took 3rd place in the women's team division (fess up there were only 4 teams :-)

On Sunday we did the Cherry of a Ride in The Dalles OR. Hubby and pals did century and my friend and I had registered for the 60 mile ride but the wind beat us down and we ended up with 50 miles. It was my longest ride in a long, long time, and more importantly fun. I was tired but not so tired that I was grouchy. At the ride finish they provide homemade cherry cobbler and coffee. We topped that off with a delicious lunch and OR brews.

Good times, I'm contemplating maybe another du this year even though I've officially retired from racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last monday I did a super-easy spin class (basically kept it at baseline for an hour) so as to keep my still-sore legs moving.
I spent the rest of the week resting, eating light, and keeping ice packs on my legs.

Friday night crept up in a hurry and Saturday was a blast - my very first triathlon! I posted a detailed race report - thank you to everyone for the kind words and support. I look forward to the next two months of training for my re-match at Uvas Reservoir.

This week's plan (per my coach!)
Monday - Easy recovery spin
Tuesday - 30-40 min run
Wednesday - Swim, strength training
Thursday - My LASIK surgery!!!
Friday - rest
Saturday - 1:15 bike + 15 min run
Sunday - (rest)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
determination wrote:
So, I figured well, if I’m out here, I’m going to go a speed that won’t ruin me for later. So I did. I think I was going like 12mph. Seriously. I figured if they didn’t like it, someone could come around and take over.

That is BIZARRE to me. I just had my very first sprint triathlon and averaged 13.2 MPH. Granted, I was livid over a terribad swim and taking ownership of a course I'd biked before, and it was half your distance, but... That seems weird to me.

Sounds like the whole thing was a headgame as much as athletic competition!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Earth Day edition [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck with the surgery.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weird and pretty much sucky week, starting with Boston and ending with trips to the ER, urgent care and local PCP for an infection gone wild. Feel like shit and only got in one swim, one bike and two runs.

Here's hoping for a better one this week.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Earth Day edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YIKES! I hope you're okay - that is super scary.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah nice job on your first race!!

The Lasik is interesting... I had mine done in 2008 and never regret it to this day. So odd waking up and being able to read the alarm clock :-)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Earth Day edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
squeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

I have yet to hear anyone say anything BUT this, but I still love hearing it. I received a very generous annual bonus from work and decided to splurge on the procedure, and take advantage of the amazing Dr. Hyver who does the SF 49ers. He's brilliant and thoughtful in person, his entire staff is SUPER professional, and I have no qualms about their care and expertise. Kyle will take me to my appt on Thursday at 11 and then dump me at home before going back to work, so I'm trying to figure out how I will entertain myself without vision...

Going to ask Kyle to put on my fave music station on the radio, can feel my way to beverages in the fridge, and otherwise have no fucking clue what to do with myself. My hobbies are reading and video games, so being blind for 4+ hours is terrifying. Esp. if I'm alone.

Any recommendations for dealing with the post-op?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I would want someone with me during a period of blindness, no matter how short. Got anyone who can stay with you?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to see everyone's training is shaping up nicely. I see a season of PRs ahead of the womens.

My goals for last week were short and simple: 3 runs - don't worry about pace or distance. I succeeded with 2 short runs and a run/hike mix during an orienteering meet on Sunday. I have always enjoyed the orienteering i did in training for adventure racing but they seemed to fall to the back burner. Now that I have some fitness to rebuild and will be focused on running again this summer, I am going to make it a priority to make most of the local meets. Its a great way to get in some added miles, explore trails I don't know that well and get lost in the woods.

Goals for this week are 5 short runs including a VO2 max (my coach wants to get a baseline to work from as we structure my plan for transrockies and my 50 miler). I ran with my local run club last night and realized how much fitness I have lost in the 6 weeks I wasn't able to run. I know it will quickly come back but i hate this rebuilding phase.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
Run x 6 - last week of build for May 5th half: WIN. By gawd, I might almost be legitimately trained for this thing!
Bike x 3: FAIL with 2, but Sunday was my first real "stretch my legs out" ride of the year. 56k of relentless hills; felt strong.
Swim x 4: WIN, though yardage was a bit low.
Core/strength x 4: WIN
Nutrition improvement: WIN. A few pounds finally gave up the fight and fell off my ass.

This week's goals:
Run x 6 - reduce mileage a bit
Bike x 3
Swim x 4
Core/strength x 4
Keep nutrition in check

I have a stupid niggle in my left knee that I think might have resulted from my tip-over at Paris to Ancaster, so priority is just to keep it happy and be as light as possible for the half. This Saturday is also Tanker's birthday, so special attention to nutrition will be needed between a restaurant dinner and brunch with friends.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Unfortunately no, but I am supposed to be asleep for the next 4 hours, which will be the gap before he gets home from work.

I can stumble blind between bedroom and bathroom and don't forsee needing anything else.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#1: don't rush it. If they say "12hrs with both eyes patched" that does not mean 11:30. Don't try small print reading, video games, even tv for a while longer if possible.
#2: wear shades all the time outside, even if you are in a bright indoor place. Don't scrimp on the shades. Get darker ones if nec. Hint: the cheapies at the drugstores & gas stations often have more UV protection than the fancy Rudy's/Oakleys/etc. as the MFRs are lazy about the amount of coating they put on their lenses.
#3: try to find someone who can stay with you that afternoon. 4hrs blind can be terrifying.
#4: You will feel like crap, but try to sleep/nap anyways.
#5: you will not want to drive for at least a few days, at least until your doc clears you for that, so plan ahead.

Good luck, sounds like you have a very capable doc ;-)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ummm, maybe Kyle could take the rest of the day off? After many years of a partnership, I've learned the other welcomes the opportunity to earn brownie points. ;-)

How about at least figuring out in advance a way to communicate that you can do blind?

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Earth Day edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha, he is WAY ahead on brownie points after his mega-support/sherpa-ing during my triathlon. He is an emergency contact on my phone, so I can turn it on and say "call Kyle" and get ahold of him easily. He just started a new job, so I'd really like to let him earn his brownie points there while I sleep.

Though y'all did remind me that I should clean the path from the bedroom to the bathroom to minimize falling (not that our bedroom floor is totally covered in heaps of jerseys, compression socks, etc...)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome work women's!!!!!!

My week had it's ups and downs as training always does.

The Boston Marthon tragedy threw me through a loop on Monday bc I had friends and former students running and volunteering at the finish line but we were lucky - all were ok.

Goals last week:
Swim 3x - Big win!
Run 4x - big miss with only 2 runs
Ride 3x - a win and a miss. 2 good rides and one short trainer ride to get fit on my new bike!!!!

The ups this week - a sweet new cervelo P2C!!!! I had been given a 51cm frame and was playing with fit all winter and came to the unhappy conclusion that it was just too big. Found a 48cm 2012 P2C on closeout but hesitant to buy despite the wicked good price bc of the 650 wheels. Bike shop owner said let me put you on it and do a fit for nothing. Well, I melted and became one with the bike even on the trainer. When he told me he had some slightly used ZIPP 404s that he would throw in, well, done deal. Now I just need to get my ass in bike shape so I can do at least 20mph for my bike splits on this baby or I will feel like a poseur! If you know anyone intested in a 51cm P2C frame, let me know!

The other up - started masters swim - 1.5 hrs on Tues, thurs & sun with kick ass workouts. I am horribly slow, but this will triple my swim volume and only good things can happen. Downside - it's at 5am and I am trashed after the workouts. I hope I adjust b/c I am worthless by the end of the day.

The down - between upping the swim volume and allergies, I haven't been running as much as I like. Am going to have to just get it done - short ez runs after the swims should be the ticket.

Goals this week:
swim 3x (one done!)
run 5x (6miles done yesterday!)
Bike 3x
AND get some high school kids to their first triathlon on Sunday!
We have two teams and three individuals competing. I am the official support crew/Sherpa/coach and it should be a blast.

Happy training all and I love reading about everybody's ups and downs. You all keep me so motivated!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Earth Day edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AP. - I will be thinking about you on Saturday on your massive run! That is some mighty big mileage!!!! You are gonna have one helluv engine when you finish your training for this race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your first road race! I'm sorry you experienced such negative racing. Problem is most new road racers are advised to sit in and save themselves for the sprint which leads to no one wanting to be on the front. If you are strong, try attacking next race. If you can't get away, you can at least wear out your competition's legs with the surges to chase you down. When I was racing, I loved the crits and the track bc they were short and FASSSST. They were great for bike handling!

I hope you toe the line at another race soon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about some audiobooks?

Quote Reply

Prev Next