Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How are you and how was your week? March 9 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you? How was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? March 9 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goals for this week:
1. Healthy coping mechanisms 6/7
2. Minimize running (trying to heal an injury) I am doing a better job with this
3. Swim lots (off to a good start with 375 yds this morning and 2025 yds at lunch) done!

5 runs, 36 miles
8 swims, 16,393 yards (one swim was in a meter pool)

goals for this week same as last. Off to a good start today - I swam and rock climbed this AM (read: didn't run)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? March 9 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
8 swims TC! Ah, you're living my dream. Good job minimizing the running.

My goals for last week were to do whatever my coach assigned after getting over the third illness of the semester. I did it dammitall.

This week is a taper for the NYC half marathon, which I'm pretty convinced isn't going to actually happen on account of all this coronavirus stuff. But, I'll keep going until they call it off.

Aaaaaand what follows is coronavirus ranting: everything's shifting because of the virus here in NY. My university is preparing to migrate all classes to online and cancel all in-person meetings. This impacts a lot of different disciplines in different ways, but as a music professor, we're totally screwed for the semester. We haven't done our big annual opera production, in which we bring in people from outside our area for directing, etc. People who will not be available if we postpone the production. And we're still hiring an orchestra conductor, with candidates who won't be able to fly in to conduct an orchestra that can't meet. I'm also on the board of a big, national academic society and our annual meeting is at the end of the month. I've pretty much just been talking about cancelling fun things because of the coronavirus for a week. I fully support all these measures, especially because China's efforts seem to have been successful. I can see that it will help save lives, and that's way more important than my daily trivialities. But, that's where my stress is coming from this week.

My taper week:

M: Swim (CHECK!)
Tu: Interval ride
We: Run speedwork
Th: Swim
F: REST!
Sa: Shake the legs out run
Su: RACE! Or, maybe not.

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? March 9 Edition [BingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good work getting it done BT! And sending you positive vibes for your race!
Dr TC, good work on subbing the swimming for the runs. Keep it up!

My plans for last week were: swim x 3, bike x 4, run x 3, core x 2. I got it all done, and a bonus hour long yoga session which is part of the drop-in classes that are included with my gym pass. I won't be going to that particular session again, but I was proud of me for going and trying something new without a friend for moral support. The week felt pretty meh in places and I'm starting to notice a pattern which I think is linked to my menstrual cycle. So far I'm still in the "observe and learn" part of figuring out the patterns.

We got all kinds of little logistical things set up last week: bike box rentals are booked, flights are booked, and car rental is booked. To my eternal shame, I will be driving around a Dodge Grand Caravan in Penticton BUT the interior is massive with the seats down and I don't want to stress about whether all our stuff will fit, so it was a good choice.

This week: swim x 3, bike x 3 (including a 3h30m long ride), run x 3, core x 2.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? March 9 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT - I'm pretty sure it's the uncertainty that's getting to everyone - hang in there.

Scher - what are you saying about the minivan???? We have a Caravan. It's kind of crappy, but also SO HANDY for hauling all.the.things. Have no shame and own that rental! Windows down and tunes pumped.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Settling back into the house, still looking for a new job, and trying to get motivated to do my damn school work. I've been working on my bachelors since 2006 (plus the two years I spent in the UK ahem... 20 years ago), and I'm just. fricking. done. with it. One more year to go, but damn... It's so hard to get excited about new classes at this point.

I also need to get back to running and on my bike, which I have no excuse for since in back in the house with trainer and treadmill, and I have nothing but time. Send me your exercisy vibes!!
Last edited by: UK2ME: Mar 10, 20 5:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running has not been going well, shin splints have hampered my runs the last couple of weeks, but I've been staying on top of my swims.
Swam 3x last week, ran 1x, biked 1x
This week's goals- swim 3x, run 2-3x, bike 1-2x. This will all depend on weather, we're finally suppose to get a measurable amount of rain over several days here in Southern California. We got no measurable rain in February...highly unusual for us. And get in shape this week for next week and multiple day's at Disneyland with my sister (the school district I work for is on Spring Break next week).

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? March 9 Edition [BingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we're making contingency plans to teach online if needed, too. It would be a little easier for me in math-land, but still not great.

Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? March 9 Edition [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
VIBES SENT

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik, thanks for getting us started and great job coping. Also you're my swimspiration!

Last week was a wash for me. I was sick all week and man oh man has it been a tornado around here! I only managed yoga twice and a :20 run. Blegh. I don't use the "colors" in TrainingPeaks but if I did it'd be red for 11 days straight. I'm feeling better now so this week I *should* be back to normal -- 5 runs, 4 bikes, 3 swims, yoga + p/rehab.

Thankfully my sick was not the coronavirus but it's certainly impacting my work and a lot of my day-to-day here in the PNW and especially in my new role at work. I feel for you Cupcake, I suspect many more events will be canceled out of an abundance of caution.

For work/life reasons more than fitness, I'm going to pull out of Oceanside. This is a major bummer for me because I had a great race there last year and was looking forward to seeing SoCal friends but with everything going on at the moment, it just doesn't make sense right now. I'll aim for Boulder or something else this summer before WC in November.

I hope everyone is doing well on what reads to be a tough week for many of us.

Happy training y'all.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply