Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flying with my bike to nationals
Quote | Reply
So Im trying to get to Oregon for Nationals in September (From Philly) . . Anyone have any good tips for flying with their bike or sending it via UPS (etc) to a bike shop at my destination? Also, anyone know the average cost for bringing it with the airline?
Quote Reply
Re: Flying with my bike to nationals [TriHarder1986] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've shipped by Fedex many times and found it to be far cheaper than UPS,the airlines are getting up to $125 each way.
I shipped my bike from Michigan to S. Florida last Jan. for about $50.00 each way Fedex. Set up your own account with Fedex don't use the local shippers,you can print off the shipper online and drop it off at their shipping center.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
X2 on shipping the bike via UPS, FEDEX, DHL, etc. Make sure to specify that you are shipping GROUND. Sometimes, it is not clear on all the forms, whether online or on paper, and the default may be overnight. I found out the hard way to check, as overnight shipping is as expensive as taking the bike with you on the plane.

DHL was the cheapest courier for me last trip, at ~ $35 each way.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends on what airline you fly. Jet Blue and Southwest seem to charge the least at the moment ($50) each way, but I'm not sure they have a lot of flights out of Philly (especially to Portland). I fly out of Newark and usually fly Continental because it is the cheapest airline ticket that is a direct flight. I only have one bike, so I don't want to be without my bike for a week + there and week + back while it ships across the country. On continental it is $95 each way. If I pack well or bring along a non racing companion to check my second bag for me, I don't have to pay the extra $25 for the second checked bag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just flew with mine last weekend - a real hassle. It's not just the extra $ for the bike as luggage. Add in the $ for insurance - Alaska, for example, only gives you $3000 of coverage, and my bike is worth a good deal more than that so you need excess valuation coverage, and the ticket agents I've dealt with generally don't have a clue how this works. Add in the cost of the bigger rental car you may need, and the hassle of dragging the case around through the airport, through parking lots, etc. I understand that if you only have one bike then the time lost due to shipping may not be acceptable but I won't fly with my race bike again when traveling unless it's unavoidable. I'll ship instead - DHL appears to be the cheapest and I've had good luck with them.

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Flying with my bike to nationals [gzb9m1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious if any of you have shipped FedEx within the past year or so? My experience is they used to be dirt cheap, but no longer. Also, many of the airlines are hiking the bike fee even more. I heard United is going up to $150 each way this summer, and some airlines may simply be refusing to take bikes period! I am hesitant to ship my bike out because I like to know it will be arriving with me on time, but I love shipping it back. I usually use SportsExpress. They use FedEx, but they do a nice job and pick up the bike at your house and have great customer service.
I'm really fortunate that I know someone driving to Lubbock this weekend who is willing to bring my bike with them. I'm going to buy them lots of presents : ).
Quote Reply
Re: Flying with my bike to nationals [Diana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We've had the same experience with FedEx Ground. For a couple of years, the FedEx price for a bike always ran between $50-$60. It was our go-to method of shipping bikes, and the shipping cost we specified on Ebay when we sold bikes. Last bike, the FedEx shipping price was over $90. Unfortunately, we had already closed an Ebay deal with a shipping cost of $60. Oh well--at least the bike got sold. But I doubt we'll be using FedEx anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: Flying with my bike to nationals [HeidiC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've both shipped and flown with my bike. The best was if you are in good with the local bike shop, or if your significant other works there, then ship from there. Another alternative, is if you can ship from your company or workplace. I have that ability where I work as well, even though we do nothing related to bikes or anything like that. I pay for it, but I get our company's rates rather than if I walked into the FedEx store.
Flying with a bike isn't bad either - I would never fly without a hard case though. The last time I flew with my bike I watched the baggage handler THROW it on the plane. I was like, wow, I'm really glad I have a hard case and all that foam and padding and wrapping around the frame! Bike was always totally fine. Husband assured me with that case (trico sports ironcase) that you could stand on the case and your bike would be OK.

If you are going big city - ask for a minivan cab or a "london cab" these have plenty of room for two people and two bike cases.
(the london cab was in san fran)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as what bike shop for Nationals. The best one location wise tri geared etc for Nationals would be athleteslounge.com. They are located the closest to the race on the west side.
I also have used FEdEx ground in the past but then as of Feb 08 there pricing changed to Dimensional Sizing. So bike bike is charged a much more because its assumed that a box that size will weight alot more than it does and one is charged regardless.
Barb
Quote Reply