Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Asking out the opposite sex in public
Quote | Reply
Hello Ladies of The Women's Forum,

I'm a guy, and this is my first post in this forum. I'm posting this to seek your input on an experience I had (or could have had) this week while shopping. I posted this in the Lavender Room, but, I also appreciate just a woman's feedback.

I biked to Target this week in the evening after work to pick up Clif and Luna bars and other household items. While in the aisle for Clif and Luna, I noticed a section of supplements opposite the energy bars. I wanted digestive enzymes, so began searching the shelves. I then noticed this woman coming into the aisle pushing a shopping cart. We made eye contact. I then moved out of her way because it was clear she was going to the other end of the aisle. I then looked at her again as she walked by. I was mesmerized because of how attractive and beautiful I found her to be. Ladies - I appreciate you, and all women. You are a masterpiece, and I mean that. Any guy that isn't dead is wired to first notice a woman's physical appearance. It doesn't matter what she's wearing, how much or how little. However, there is such a thing as appreciating beauty and hotness without being perverted.

This woman's attire looked as though she just left the gym or a yoga/pilates class and stopped in to get some items before going home. She then stopped to my left to look over the shelves. I then tried to casually look at her left hand to see if she had a wedding ring on. However, I couldn't tell due to her jacket and what looked like half gloves on that obscured part of her fingers. I then looked over at her face again, then struck up the nerve to talk to her. "Do they carry digestive enzymes in this aisle," I asked. Now, I could have asked a Target customer service rep for that info. It's clear why I asked this woman. :)

Then, looking me in the eye, and I looking back at hers, she said they usually do, but, "there's a vitamin shop just down the road from here that has those." She mentioned more detail about the shop and the specific directions. "Oh, yeah," I said. "I know where that is. Thanks for the tip." Then, I didn't know what to say next. I wanted to say more, knowing my intention for the first question was to eventually ask her out, but, I got cold feet. I thought, no, it's a shopping center, she probably has a life outside of this very brief exchange of words with someone she doesn't know.

Ok, ladies - did I just miss an opportunity here? When I told some of my female coworkers (and some male) what happened, they said I should have kept talking, and even looked for a chance to exchange phone numbers or emails. Since I'm into health and fitness (I was in the health aisle, and wearing my bike clothes because of my commute) and she at least looked the part, we could have met on this ground. I just let it go because we were strangers.

Have you ever been approached by a guy (or did the approaching) in a public place where conversation happened that lead to something more, like a first date? If so, what happened?
Quote Reply
Re: Asking out the opposite sex in public [Recoverie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go for it :) What's the worst thing that would happen? She says no and you never see her again. Being from Minnesota- a place where random strangers strike up conversations in grocery stores- I think there is nothing wrong with asking a woman out while shoppping!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Learn where all the coffee shops are. Then you can offer to continue the conversation over a coffee. If she's interested she'll go or at least say she's busy right then but leave open the suggestion for a later time.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw your post in the LR, but I'm guessing since you've posted in the Womens, you'd like some Womens' opinions specifically.

I actually agree with a number of the posts in the LR.

First of all, I think she was receptive. Eye contact is always a positive sign. 1) It means she noticed you at all, 2) She's willing to meet your gaze. This, at a bare minimum, is not saying "Stay the fuck away from me creeper." Two, when you asked her about digestive enzymes she didn't give you a blow-off "I don't know," or "Maybe you should ask someone who works here" either of which I would have whipped off if I wasn't interested in communicating further with someone, regardless of their gender. Third, she didn't give you some blase, "Yeah, I think so," she further engaged you in conversation, let you know she knew what you were talking about, and shared similar interests by telling you she knew of a nutrition shop that carried them. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say she was digging you.

Now, all that being said, I probably wouldn't bust out with the "Do you know if they have digestive enzymes" line the next time you want to get a woman's number. I laughed out loud at the response that suggested asking about Magnums; hilarious, but don't even think about it. A number of the guys recommended confidence, and I think that should be your focus. It is scary as hell to ask someone out, but it really shouldn't be. As many have said, the worst they can do is say no, and they may not, but you're definitely not going to get her number without asking. Confidence is the number one thing that I find attractive in men, though intelligence is a damn close second. Women love confidence--not too cocky now--but confident. And mastering the art of asking her out and making her feel special without it seeming like it's your motus operandi to chat up every woman you see is also key. All women like to feel attractive, special, wanted, etc. and most are very good at letting you down easy if they're not interested. The best pick-up will make her feel like she's made your belly flip-flop and you're not just some douchy playa trying to score.

I would love for other women to chime in on this one, but personally, I like it when someone is very direct. For example, after your second set of eye contact you had said, "Hi, I'm John. I think I'll kick myself if I bike home without telling you that you are (insert appropriate compliment here, gorgeous, lovely, stunning). I know you know nothing about me, but would you like to get a cup of coffee sometime?"

This may sound cheesy, but if you haven't practiced asking women out a lot, you may want to enlist the help of a good woman friend or two, and have them do some role play scenarios with you to work out the kinks and give you some feedback. Good luck.

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recoverie wrote:
Any guy that isn't dead is wired to first notice a woman's physical appearance. It doesn't matter what she's wearing, how much or how little. However, there is such a thing as appreciating beauty and hotness without being perverted.

really? it's interesting that you're able to speak so confidently on behalf of 3.5 billion people, including 350 million or so gay men.

Quote:
It's clear why I asked this woman. :)

had it been me, it would have been clear that you are either

a) stupid because i'm clearly not customer service; or
b) arrogant for thinking that i'm supposed to do your shopping for you because i'm a woman.

next time you want to be "clear", say the following words: "would you like to go for coffee [or some other equally inoffensive and commonly-enjoyed activity]?"
Quote Reply
Re: Asking out the opposite sex in public [tegra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your candor.

tegra wrote:
Recoverie wrote:
Any guy that isn't dead is wired to first notice a woman's physical appearance. It doesn't matter what she's wearing, how much or how little. However, there is such a thing as appreciating beauty and hotness without being perverted.

really? it's interesting that you're able to speak so confidently on behalf of 3.5 billion people, including 350 million or so gay men. I can't argue with that. You're right. I assumed too much.

Quote:
It's clear why I asked this woman. :)
It was clear only to me. I realize now not to other readers.

had it been me, it would have been clear that you are either

a) stupid because i'm clearly not customer service; or I'll admit that I do or say some stupid things. I'm willing to learn from mistakes.
b) arrogant for thinking that i'm supposed to do your shopping for you because i'm a woman. The only reason I asked the question was to get to know her, not for her to do my shopping. I order my supplements online.

next time you want to be "clear", say the following words: "would you like to go for coffee [or some other equally inoffensive and commonly-enjoyed activity]?"
You're right, I should have been direct after the "enzyme" question. I only said that to break the ice (though, imo, not the smoothest line, but, it had my coworkers in tears of laughter when I told them).
Quote Reply
Re: Asking out the opposite sex in public [KJA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KJA wrote:
Go for it :) What's the worst thing that would happen? She says no and you never see her again. Being from Minnesota- a place where random strangers strike up conversations in grocery stores- I think there is nothing wrong with asking a woman out while shoppping!

Sound advice. Need to take a risk. I don't have a problem with talking to random strangers, female or male, whether at work, or on the street. It's just when the particular woman is hot, imo, then the "Where are the enzymes?" question comes out. Not my best line.
Quote Reply
Re: Asking out the opposite sex in public [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trackie clm wrote:
Learn where all the coffee shops are. Then you can offer to continue the conversation over a coffee. If she's interested she'll go or at least say she's busy right then but leave open the suggestion for a later time.

Well done. Thanks for the tip. I actually had a guy friend who does this. He said the "coffee" is low key, compared to, say, asking a woman out for dinner at a fancy restaurant. Start small, he said, keep it casual.
Quote Reply
Re: Asking out the opposite sex in public [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
luckytotri wrote:
I saw your post in the LR, but I'm guessing since you've posted in the Womens, you'd like some Womens' opinions specifically.

I actually agree with a number of the posts in the LR.

First of all, I think she was receptive. Eye contact is always a positive sign. 1) It means she noticed you at all, 2) She's willing to meet your gaze. This, at a bare minimum, is not saying "Stay the fuck away from me creeper." Two, when you asked her about digestive enzymes she didn't give you a blow-off "I don't know," or "Maybe you should ask someone who works here" either of which I would have whipped off if I wasn't interested in communicating further with someone, regardless of their gender. Third, she didn't give you some blase, "Yeah, I think so," she further engaged you in conversation, let you know she knew what you were talking about, and shared similar interests by telling you she knew of a nutrition shop that carried them. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say she was digging you.

Now, all that being said, I probably wouldn't bust out with the "Do you know if they have digestive enzymes" line the next time you want to get a woman's number. I laughed out loud at the response that suggested asking about Magnums; hilarious, but don't even think about it. A number of the guys recommended confidence, and I think that should be your focus. It is scary as hell to ask someone out, but it really shouldn't be. As many have said, the worst they can do is say no, and they may not, but you're definitely not going to get her number without asking. Confidence is the number one thing that I find attractive in men, though intelligence is a damn close second. Women love confidence--not too cocky now--but confident. And mastering the art of asking her out and making her feel special without it seeming like it's your motus operandi to chat up every woman you see is also key. All women like to feel attractive, special, wanted, etc. and most are very good at letting you down easy if they're not interested. The best pick-up will make her feel like she's made your belly flip-flop and you're not just some douchy playa trying to score.

I would love for other women to chime in on this one, but personally, I like it when someone is very direct. For example, after your second set of eye contact you had said, "Hi, I'm John. I think I'll kick myself if I bike home without telling you that you are (insert appropriate compliment here, gorgeous, lovely, stunning). I know you know nothing about me, but would you like to get a cup of coffee sometime?"

This may sound cheesy, but if you haven't practiced asking women out a lot, you may want to enlist the help of a good woman friend or two, and have them do some role play scenarios with you to work out the kinks and give you some feedback. Good luck.

...it's almost a story that I feel I need to tell you...Baby, when I woke up this morning, I felt like there was this sea stormin' inside of me...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
:( I don't get it... but it looks like a movie reference, and I generally suck at those.

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
luckytotri wrote:
:( I don't get it... but it looks like a movie reference, and I generally suck at those.

Ok, it only works if you know the reference.

Owen Wilson and Eddie Murphy scene with Famke Janssen in I Spy. It explains my situation. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
luckytotri wrote:
Confidence is the number one thing that I find attractive in men, though intelligence is a damn close second. Women love confidence--not too cocky now--but confident. And mastering the art of asking her out and making her feel special without it seeming like it's your motus operandi to chat up every woman you see is also key. All women like to feel attractive, special, wanted, etc. and most are very good at letting you down easy if they're not interested. The best pick-up will make her feel like she's made your belly flip-flop and you're not just some douchy playa trying to score.

this x100. were I not married, the line above TOTALLY would have hooked me for coffee at a minimum.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recoverie wrote:
Start small, he said, keep it casual.

even something like going for a walk in a park is great. in the case of women who're into fitness like you, she'll probably appreciate the outdoors.

save the rock-climbing excursions for later, though, until you find out whether she's afraid of heights!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know you've already received some feedback on this but thought I'd chime in (I'm fairly new to ST).

As somone who is single and would love to find someone to spend some time with I say you should have gone for it. Considering most of my time is taken up by work/training the idea of a serendipitous (sp?) meeting of someone in a random aisle at Target gives me hope. Bonus if that someone is also interested in triathlon/cycling.

People keep telling me I'll meet someone when I least expect it - you could have been that for her.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
For example, after your second set of eye contact you had said, "Hi, I'm John. I think I'll kick myself if I bike home without telling you that you are (insert appropriate compliment here, gorgeous, lovely, stunning). I know you know nothing about me, but would you like to get a cup of coffee sometime?"

I LOVE when this happens. It may sound cheesy & others may roll their eyes at the thought, but it's so unbelievably disarming when a stranger compliments someone. There's absolutely no harm in making someone smile or giving them a little ego boost. Plus in your situation, it would've been instant feedback. I've had it happen & it absolutely warms my heart. You'll always get a thank you & it's a great barometer of how receptive they are to speaking with you. I'm with the others - she didn't immediately snark at you (as another has suggested...I cannot personally imagine being so rude..but whatever) & she didn't blow you off. She took the time to give you a different, unsolicited answer. That doesn't mean she wants to have your babies, but it's at least an opportunity to meet someone new that most likely shares a health interest, something to talk about. If she DID have a boyfriend, maybe they're a great couple to go ride with or have a beer with.

I am SUPER impressed with the, "Do you know where I can find the digestive enzymes?" line. I've never heard that one.....you could've followed it up with a, "hey baby, come here often?" for a guaranteed laugh or some self-deprecating humor but I completely understand the freezing. We, as humans, ARE hard-wired to avoid rejection....good on you for even talking!

I love talking to strangers, meeting new people, finding random connections. But taking the time to compliment someone will win you points EVERY TIME.

my $.02.

AW
Quote Reply
Re: Asking out the opposite sex in public [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+ 1 on this. If she is offering info about the vitamin shop, keep the conversation going! Good luck, maybe you will run into her again :)

Quote Reply
Re: Asking out the opposite sex in public [jen-g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jen-g wrote:
+ 1 on this. If she is offering info about the vitamin shop, keep the conversation going! Good luck, maybe you will run into her again :)

Thanks. Maybe, one would never know in this small word. I did post a misconnection in Craigslist this week regarding our "Target" encounter.
Quote Reply
Re: Asking out the opposite sex in public [cdntrigrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People keep telling me I'll meet someone when I least expect it

You will.

This past Saturday I was out for a ride and I was on this really lonely stretch of road. I saw a truck backed in from the road and in front of the truck was this really nice looking lady painting the Superstition Mountains. She was working on a huge canvas and as I rode by I could see the details of the painting on her easel. She kind of nodded at me and I did the same. I cruised away and thought to myself 'this is my kind of woman' who can stand there and paint in the middle of nowhere.

Two hours later I was riding back home on the same road and she was still there painting her picture and she waived at me. So, I pulled right up and said "Pardon me Miss, can I take a look at your painting?" I knew she had a gun so I did not walk up to her too fast. Anyway, she was as beautiful as an Angel. Exactly the kind of woman you would expect to be painting in the middle of nowhere. I asked her if her painting would be for sale one of these days and she said "We shall see."

She was really beautiful and we made some small talk

And this is how we left it......

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: Asking out the opposite sex in public [mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mojozenmaster wrote:
People keep telling me I'll meet someone when I least expect it

You will.

I never thought it would happen to me, but this past Saturday I was out for a ride and I was on this really lonely stretch of road. I saw a truck backed in from the road and in front of the truck was this really nice looking lady painting the Superstition Mountains. She was working on a huge canvas and as I rode by I could see the details of the painting on her easel. She kind of nodded at me and I did the same. I cruised away and thought to myself 'this is my kind of woman' who can stand there and paint in the middle of nowhere.

Two hours later I was riding back home on the same road and she was still there painting her picture and she waived at me. So, I pulled right up and said "Pardon me Miss, can I take a look at your painting?" I knew she had a gun so I did not walk up to her too fast. Anyway, she was as beautiful as an Angel. Exactly the kind of woman you would expect to be painting in the middle of nowhere. I asked her if her painting would be for sale one of these days and she said "We shall see."

She was really beautiful and we made some small talk

And this is how we left it......

I made an edit to the beginning, and you'll probably need to spice up the end, but then I think it's ready for submission.

JK! Cool story. Are you going to bike there again any time soon?

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had to bump this thread after your completely awesome double post of "Do you know if they carry digestive enzymes in this aisle" in both the "nice shit" and "dumb shit" guys say threads. Absolutely, hands-down, one of the funniest things I've read on ST. You have a great sense of humor!

So, I'm also wondering if you've seen her again? And if you haven't seen her, if you've tried any other pick-ups and how they've gone for you?

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
luckytotri wrote:
I had to bump this thread after your completely awesome double post of "Do you know if they carry digestive enzymes in this aisle" in both the "nice shit" and "dumb shit" guys say threads. Absolutely, hands-down, one of the funniest things I've read on ST. You have a great sense of humor!

So, I'm also wondering if you've seen her again? And if you haven't seen her, if you've tried any other pick-ups and how they've gone for you?

Well, it wouldn't go over so well if all of you weren't here to read it. :) Thanks!

No, haven't seen Miss Pilates since that "target" encounter. I even posted a misconnection on CL at the advice of someone on ST. I haven't tried other pick up lines, except as a joke with female colleagues who are already taken (they get a kick out of the enzyme line).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw the thread bumped & got so excited. I thought he had seen her again!

I do agree, however, that the double posting was awesome.

AW
Quote Reply
Re: Asking out the opposite sex in public [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AWARE wrote:
I saw the thread bumped & got so excited. I thought he had seen her again!

I do agree, however, that the double posting was awesome.

I haven't seen her yet despite my efforts...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question: do/did all of you know about the "Missed Connections" area on CraigsList?

I ask because I had no idea that existed until our media monitoring software picked up my company's name in one of the listings. Not somewhere I would have thought to look - maybe she hasn't either. But it's a great entertainment/time-killer regardless :)
Quote Reply
Re: Asking out the opposite sex in public [lisac957] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lisac957 wrote:
Question: do/did all of you know about the "Missed Connections" area on CraigsList?

I ask because I had no idea that existed until our media monitoring software picked up my company's name in one of the listings. Not somewhere I would have thought to look - maybe she hasn't either. But it's a great entertainment/time-killer regardless :)

Actually, Recoverie mentions in this thread that he posted to her there.

--------
Quote Reply

Prev Next