Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

wanted: kids road bike 24 in wheels
Quote | Reply
I am looking for a road bike for my almost 9 yr old daughter. her mt bike has 24 in wheels and I know Specialized still makes a bike like this and Giant and Felt used to. I saw the Specialized today in a shop but do not want to pay $650 for a kids' bike! anyone have one that your kid outgrew and you want to pass along for less than an arm and a leg? thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: wanted: kids road bike 24 in wheels [kimber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chucks has had a 24 inch in kit form for a while.

http://www.chucksbikes.com/store/

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My son is 10, and we were looking for the same thing about 6 months ago. Here's what I found...
There are several makes:
Trek KDR1000
Redline Conquest 24 (I think that the model - this is a cyclocross design rather than a pure road bike)
Felt F24 (I think)
Specialized Allez Jr
Orbea makes one, not sure the model

After searching for a month on craigslist, e-bay, internet, etc. I finally bought a new KDR1000 (older model with a few paint chips) at my local bike shop for $500 out the door which after much shopping I determined was a good deal. The bikes on e-bay always seemed to go for around $500-$600 + shipping, never saw one close out for less than $500, so you can plan to get that much back when you are through with it if it is maintained in fairly good condition.

Check with local bike racing clubs and/or Jr Racing teams. Most teams keep the good bikes within the team for upcoming Jrs, but someone there may have one for sale.

Good luck in your search.
Quote Reply
Re: wanted: kids road bike 24 in wheels [me109stock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
E-Bayed the conquest 24 for $300
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was able to buy a Felt F24 off of these classifieds at a reasonsble price a little over a year ago, so it can and has been done. If you keep bumping your post (in accordance with Slowman's rules, of course), then you might get an offer. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, but I'd scour Craigs list and ebay also. Good luck.

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Quote Reply
Re: wanted: kids road bike 24 in wheels [dennis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i didn't see any on the 'bay for $300. maybe you mean you sold yours for $300?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for the info everyone. i will keep looking! I periodically see them on craigslist here in denver.
Quote Reply
Re: wanted: kids road bike 24 in wheels [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kimber,
I have new and used kids bikes... I have a very generous buy back policy on the kids bikes as a service to my customers as I know that their kids will definitely outgrow their bike several times over. If you are in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area, I can help you. I have Felt, Argon 18, Jamis, and Louis Garneau in 24" and 650c. However, your 9 year old should most likely fit the 24" versions. New start at $650 and used are $500 down to $250... depending on the condition, cycles of use, and starting price.
Feel free to call me if you have any questions. (480) 421-9442

Kevin
Quote Reply