Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

WTB- Race wheelset for poor college student
Quote | Reply
Anybody out there remember what it was like back in college, working hard, having no money, but still wanting to get cool stuff? Haha well thats me. I am really looking for a race wheelset... any kind really, and pretty much any condition as long as it works. I started triathlons when I got to college and have fallen in love with them. I spent most of last year earning enough money to buy a respectable bicycle. I hope to find someone with a race wheelset that they are willing to sell to me for between $200 and $400. If not... its all good... just thought it was worth a shot.
-JC
Quote Reply
Re: WTB- Race wheelset for poor college student [aznrunner54] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buy a Spinergy front on ebay, and a rear spoked training wheel on there. pay $60 for a CH Aero disc cover (Excel Sports) to put on that training wheel and you're good to fly right in your budget!
Quote Reply
Re: WTB- Race wheelset for poor college student [sib1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice. I was looking into spinergy as an option but I had heard about some issues with the structural integrity of those wheels. good idea with the wheel cover though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only Spinergy wheel you should avoid is the Rev-X. From what I've heard, the Spinergy Stealths are reliable enough. It might be a bit tricky to only spend $400, though--even if you just get a rear wheel cover. You might also want to check ebay for Specialized Tri-Spoke fronts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eh, i don't know, the spinergys (rev x) were around quite a long time so couldn't have been that bad. crit teams, time trialists, triathletes, etc were all using them. certainly would fit your budget and be quite aero at that price! otherwise maybe look for an older Hed front wheel, they usually can be had for less than $200. make sure to grease and repack the bearings on an older wheel though.

for the rear you could buy even a dura ace/mavic open pro rear or something like that with a wheel cover for pretty cheap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you looking for 650C or 700 wheels? If 650 is what you seek, let me know.

mm
Quote Reply