Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

WTB: Press fit BB tool
Quote | Reply
Looking for a press fit bottom bracket tool, specifically something that might work with a BB86 press fit for a scott foil. Park tools has them but they're expensive and I'd need 2 tools, one to actually press and then another that removes BB's but happens to have the cups I need. Can't buy them separately
Quote Reply
Re: WTB: Press fit BB tool [adktriguy46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tools like that are much better left at shops.

Have a shop do it. Worst case you're out like $10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A threaded rod or long bolt and nuts, and two large washers the diameter of the bearing will do the trick. Thread pitch may not be as fine as a Park Headset press but it'll do the job. For the removal, you can make your own removal tool out of PVC pipe, split 4 ways, heat and bend each "prong" outward.
Quote Reply
Re: WTB: Press fit BB tool [GREG_n_SD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting idea. I'll try it. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a six 1/2" threaded bolt with four 2.5" round washers (has 1/2" opening) to thread to the bolt then use a 1/2" nut to press all my BB90 and BB86 cups in my frames. Cost me $2.78 at Home Depot.

Sort of looks like this, but I prefer to use an actual bolt versus the 1/2" threaded rod as shown in this pic.

Luckily I had a Cannondale frame at one time that came with Cannondale SI BB Bearing Removal Tool that I use an old 27.2mm seatpost to tap them out when needed.

Last edited by: edmaverik: Jan 23, 14 8:31
Quote Reply
Re: WTB: Press fit BB tool [edmaverik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sir is genius!
Quote Reply
Re: WTB: Press fit BB tool [edmaverik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edmaverik wrote:
I use a six 1/2" threaded bolt with four 2.5" round washers (has 1/2" opening) to thread to the bolt then use a 1/2" nut to press all my BB90 and BB86 cups in my frames. Cost me $2.78 at Home Depot.

Sort of looks like this, but I prefer to use an actual bolt versus the 1/2" threaded rod as shown in this pic.

Luckily I had a Cannondale frame at one time that came with Cannondale SI BB Bearing Removal Tool that I use an old 27.2mm seatpost to tap them out when needed.

+1 i have the exact same thing that does the job well for my wife's Madone.. it's just a matter of paying attention when you press the bearing. Homedepot has the butterfly wings nuts that make the job easier with hand tightening and less chance to have over-torque

Formerly known SCENERYNW
Quote Reply