Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Premium Carbon Fiber Wheelsets Only $997 [FluidWheels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may be from Indiana originally but where are your products being made, Indiana, NO, oh okay so irrelevant point yet again. Are you in the factories watching over QC, oh no you are in Indiana so that's even worst. Leave it to the Chinese to do QC, we all know how well they do that...........

If you gave out a free set there where are these said reviews? BTW didn't drop a F bomb, I said who the F cares, oh no I used the letter "F". Would you rather me say who the fudge cares? So I should go back and remove that letter from every word?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_TRI, We really are sorry to read that you dislike us, possibly even hate us so much, but everyone is entitled to their opinions.

I'm sure that when the brand of wheels you ride came out with such a low price several years ago, people jumped on them for being made in Taiwan, and they turned out to be great.

I know we can't change your mind on here, but I can only promise you, we will do our best NOT to live up to the preconceived expectations you have about us.

We aren't guilty of rebranding crap like those who have preceded us. We have done our homework, and put in the time and effort to make these wheels great.

Cheers,

Premium Carbon Fiber Wheels at a Great Price! Only $997 a set.
Register for our upcoming INVITE ONLY wheel sale at FluidWheels.com
Last edited by: FluidWheels: Dec 22, 15 10:51
Quote Reply
Re: Premium Carbon Fiber Wheelsets Only $997 [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
This thread is pretty awesome.

Lots of anger on ST, James. Chapeaux to Fluid for putting up with it.

**Grabs the popcorn**

Eli Curt

I'm Professionally Amateur. Are you? Become an ambassador today!
Chimps in Training!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FluidWheels wrote:
SMartin204, Our fancy wooden boxes cost us about $11 each to make. This actually costs us less than buying paper boxes, extra packaging material and extra shipping insurance we would likely buy if they came in paper boxes.

We are in Indiana, that's a state in the US.

And we have given out free/discounted sets for users to try, but we certainly wouldn't give out a free set to anyone dropping F bombs.

We recommend reading a bit before ranting and being nasty.

We wish you the best, sorry you're so angry, Happy Holidays!

This is an interesting selling point. Every other wheel company out there uses "paper boxes"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FluidWheels wrote:
We are in Indiana, that's a state in the US.

Well-played......lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FluidWheels wrote:
I'm sure that when the brand of wheels you ride came out with such a low price several years ago, people jumped on them for being made in Taiwan, and they turned out to be great.
We aren't guilty rebranding crap like those who have preceded us. We have done our homework, and put in the time and effort to make these wheels great.

Since you seem keen on copying Flo's business model exactly (all the way down to the "invite only" sale, rubbing ST the wrong way from the start, even the name flo -> fluid!), maybe take notice of how they released their "homework" from the start and were transparent about their engineering the whole process. Most consumers don't take kindly to baseless claims of "our products are top quality, trust me *wink*".

My personal opinion is the wheel market is way too saturated right now, like how power meters are becoming. Want to be truely disruptive in this market? Break the $700 barrier while still providing excellent customer service and quality craftsmanship. Then maybe people will notice.
Quote Reply
Re: Premium Carbon Fiber Wheelsets Only $997 [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's scalability. Might be cheaper in material to ship wood. But someone has to assemble the box. Once you start selling a measurable number of sets a month. How many man hours can you put into building boxes??
when you are a new startup you have time and saving pennies on shipping supplies might just push you to building custom wooden crates. It would add a small cool factor to have them come in a wood box - but that only last until the wheels are out and garbage picks it up.

I read through the website and couple quick thoughts...
I don't like you are selling - these wheels are so "inexpensive" if they break just throw them away and buy another set. Makes them seem cheap not inexpensive. Sell value! Not budget. It's carbon race wheels you are selling. This is discretionary income We are spending. I personally want value.
Also have someone with an English and legal background review your webpage. Some wrong word choices make it hard to read. Just doesn't come off as professional.

Cheers,
Matt
(Columbus, OH)
Quote Reply
Re: Premium Carbon Fiber Wheelsets Only $997 [FastFanatic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We understand that several years ago Flo was revolutionary in the cycling world with its sales model, but now it has become the norm in several industries from shoes to cell phones. It is a model that allows the buyers to get the best possible prices because it eliminates the inventory guess work on the supplier side.

We are doing everything we possibly can to make a high quality full carbon alternative at the lowest possible prices. $700 isn't possible for us yet, but we are doing everything we can to keep our costs low and our quality high.

Thanks, FastFanatic!

Quote Reply
Re: Premium Carbon Fiber Wheelsets Only $997 [czarneckiosu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your input CZARNECKIOSU, we really do appreciate your feedback.

Cheers,

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no hate here...I just have legitimate questions and comments about the product and advertising. Personally, I have no interest in full carbon wheels, so I'm not your target audience anyway. If we are talking about Fluid wheels 5 years from now the same way people talk about Flo then more power to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if these wheels are good or bad? Don't want to spend a year's salary to find out for myself.
Quote Reply
Re: Premium Carbon Fiber Wheelsets Only $997 [nublar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NUBLAR, thus far none of the people posting on this thread have ridden on our wheels.

If you'd prefer feedback from riders who have ridden our wheels, we suggest you wait a few more sales before deciding to or not to make a purchase. This will give new riders plenty of time to form an opinion on our wheels and you won't be worried about spending a lot of money to find out for yourself.

Happy Holidays,

Last edited by: FluidWheels: Dec 22, 15 11:28
Quote Reply
Re: Premium Carbon Fiber Wheelsets Only $997 [nublar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure there wheels are fine but why would you buy something for $997 that you could buy for $500????
They have done nothing to prove these wheels are not the same from eBay except to put a diagram on their site. You still have to wait for weeks after you order just like eBay.
I have personal experience with a rebranding company just like this and mine was not good. I am biased toward this sort of crap.
You are paying $500 for their logo and a wooden crate.
Quote Reply
Re: Premium Carbon Fiber Wheelsets Only $997 [s.gentz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to agree with you here. This looks to be a clear example of re-branding wheels. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I don't have a single problem with that and there are plenty of dealers and local bike shops that do the exact same thing (Roadfox, Williams and Boyd with different hubs, etc). The issue is that the marketing propaganda claims on the website cannot be validated! They're making claims that they're wheels are superior to others simply by saying it, no data to back it up. Just call it what it is. Chinese/ Taiwanese carbon wheels that are more expensive because you're offering a one year warranty where buying direct from the manufacturer you get nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Premium Carbon Fiber Wheelsets Only $997 [czarneckiosu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
czarneckiosu wrote:
Might be cheaper in material to ship wood

Now that's just a lie that you are believing (or seeming to believe). *not directed to czar from this point on* There is NO way in any universe that a hand made wooden crate, even the materials for said crate cost less than a cardboard box and foam. To prove my point you can go to Home Depot and buy a sturdy moving box for $2.28 , A can of great stuff foam for $3.99 and a 50 count of contractor bags for $25.97 ($0.52/each or $1.04 for a pair) FOR $7.31 at retail cost and an indestructible package (less if you are buying in bulk and direct since no retail markup). Take each bag and seal a wheel in it, put them in the middle of the box and fill with great stuff foam to let dry. NOTHING will break those wheels even if they are kicked down a sidewalk. Shipping parcel weighs a heck of a lot less than a wooden crate so shipping cost is way reduced. Buyers get wheels in perfect condition, just saying and this is only a retail bought way of shipping wheels. Companies have the option to instead of buying can foam, get direct from the foam manufactures, pre-made and shaped molds of foam to perfectly fit their wheels, probably at the same cost of retail foam since its direct with no retail mark ups. If you pack the wheels properly then there is NO need for added insurance. You only buy insurance because your packing job is insufficient and you have zero faith that your product will make it in tact. I've bought several laser projectors from factories in China to resell here (from a well tested and published manufacture so there lies the difference between this and that). Laser diodes are by far one of the most fragile things you can ship but they are still shipped in a cardboard box with the proper foam padding. Never had one arrive here broken or slightly damaged. Boxes have looked mangled as heck but the products are 100% fine because they were packed properly. Same thing goes for wheels, pack them correctly and they wont need a wooden crate.

I have zero hate for fluid wheels, just valid concerns that any buyer in the market has (yes I am in the market for new wheels and have been heavily researching various companies so they are valid concerns), never ridden them but thats the thing, NO ONE else here has either. If we don't have proof of any claims then they are just that, claims. Claims are not facts; facts are proven data, claims are what someone says they should do and may as well meet these claims but without data they will stay as claims. I've ridden Planet X tubs for a while now and Planet X came out of no where as a no name brand at some point. They had their products tested and they passed everyone's tests. Fluid wheels came out of no where and is a no name brand BUT there are no tests anywhere, not even on your website which is the one place that should ALWAYS have reviews.

Pretty much every point brought up here is a valid point. No one is saying fluid wheels are garbage since no one has ridden them. We are comparing them with similar Chinese wheels since you have no proof they are any better than those wheels. No one is attacking you, no one hates you. We do think your business model has many flaws and have pointed them out. Let go of your ego and take advice from the people who you are trying to sell to. If the consumer can find flaws in your business model then we wont buy from you. Without backup your claims hold as much water as air. Take what is said and learn from it or fall off the face of the wheel market like the hundred people who tried before you...........end of story
Last edited by: SMartin204: Dec 22, 15 13:56
Quote Reply
Re: Premium Carbon Fiber Wheelsets Only $997 [wiRIDEfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wiRIDEfast wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
From your website

"We don't mark up our products 100% or more and make huge profits off each purchase." Ok, then, share your mark-up so we can compare it to the big greedy corporate brothers.

This outta being interesting...

HAHAHAHA I cannot stop laughing, and I have to hand it to DFW as he seems to be right on the mark. You obviously do mark you wheels up quite a bit considering the same chinese wheels can be bought direct on ebay for 1/2 or less of your pricing. At least do something different or build them with whatever hubs someone would want.

Did you pay Dan for advertising? or at least ask his permission? The board doesn't take kindly to free advertisement of one's own company

How are you certain that the carbon being used is Toray? What grade Toray? Have you had an independent analysis of the materials done? Are you directly overseeing production on site? whom is handling quality control? I think the word you meant to use instead of "producing" is "sourcing" or importing.

What is it lately with people thinking they can pass one over on the board...first Dished/OISHEO, then Kwinster, now Fluid. Good luck with your chinese wheel endeavor. If you would have taken the time to go about this in the right way and different from the recent other offers this could have possibly worked out different for you. But considering the knowledge of the posters on this board and community and the fact that this chinese wheel topic has been discussed at lengths I dont think you're going to win many over here.

Take the time to design something of your own or at the very least lace them with different hubs or get the hubs customized to your business.

What is your insurance policy like in case someone experiences a failure?

This HAS to be the Dished Wheels dude, remember him?
Quote Reply
Re: Premium Carbon Fiber Wheelsets Only $997 [SMartin204] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CZARNECKIOUS, a standard moving box from Home Depot is exactly that, a standard box, sold around the world in mass quantities so it costs $2.28. It would be weird if we delivered your wheels in a standard box from Home Depot. I can't even imagine the things that would be written about us on here. In reality the wooden crates cost about as much to build as buying custom cardboard wheel boxes and packaging supplies and increased insurance. We think people like the wooden crates, as most of the people who have bought our wheels thus far have posted pictures of them on their social media.

Since you are concerned about feedback, we strongly suggest you do not buy from us right away and give it another six months or a year to decide. This way you can get the feedback in which you desire. New brands form and people will hate (not you), it is our job to silence them and we plan on doing that over time by consistently providing a quality product at a great price.

We understand that you are simply curious, and appreciate the input.

Cheers,

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have any sales to date? I find it very hard to believe wooden boxes can be made and shipped cheaper than cardboard. That box on your site looks like it is 20lbs. Am I wrong??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our shipping weight is closer to 25 pounds. And in shipping it is the dimensions that are more important than the weight. A package of our same dimentions costs the same to ship at 15 pounds as it does at 25. And since wood boxes are stronger than cardboard, we don't have to stuff the boxes with as much padding. This allows us to ship a box that is almost two inches thinner, which also saves on shipping costs.

We use BikeFlights.com to ship our wheels, they use the Fedex network.

Yes, if you read the website you will find the information in which you are looking for. However our January 4th sale is our first Pre-Order style sale.

Cheers,

Last edited by: FluidWheels: Dec 22, 15 14:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still dodging my questions?

Do you really expect consumers to not only risk their money buying your wheels but also their life and health?

Tells us about your insurance? What happens if one of your wheelsets fails and a rider is injured?
Who is handling quality control? you obviously are not cutting apart every wheelset that arrives from overseas, so how are you sure you are getting what you claim/the manufacturer claims?
What safety tests/certifications are being done? where are the results?

I guess my main issue aside from the free advertising you were trying to get is the claim your wheels are different but you have no evidence to back it up, we're all just supposed to take your word or wait till there are more reviews (which are easily bought/paid for or traded for free product)

I completely respect your zeal towards this, and I 100% dig the wood box idea...but I think in order for it to be what it could/should be it needs some development. Paint it or finish it with a stain and gloss. Add hinges and internal supports, then use diecut foam as wheel support/packing in the box. Temporarily develop the hubs and skewers. Have the hubs laser engraved and the skewers laser engraved with a serial number. This should be something temporary while you work to develop your own hub design (and you should.) You need to truly differentiate yourself from all the other generics. This will cost you more, but you have it your margin easily. If you think you dont then you need to have a serious talk with your supplier/manufacturer because you're getting taken for a ride on price per piece. Look at what guys like ligero/alchemy/pacenti/even boyd did with their own hub development. You could even look into using white industries hubs which have a customization program on a bulk number of hubs. The goal however should be to develop your own product, rim shape and all.

also if you currently believe in your wheels send them to these guys to get tested. http://www.efbe.de

I really don't think there is a generic wheel company (note i said company not private builder) that has made it or stayed around aside from maybe november wheels, and if i remember correctly they've had some bumps along the way. You need to do something different in the game to stay around, a plain box and $997 isnt going to cut it.

----------------------------------------------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FluidWheels wrote:
Our shipping weight is closer to 25 pounds. And in shipping it is the dimensions that are more important than the weight. A package of our same dimentions costs the same to ship at 15 pounds as it does at 25. And since wood boxes are stronger than cardboard, we don't have to stuff the boxes with as much padding. This allows us to ship a box that is almost two inches thinner, which also saves on shipping costs.

We use BikeFlights.com to ship our wheels, they use the Fedex
network.

Yes, if you read the website you will find the information in which you are looking for. However our January 4th sale is our first Pre-Order style sale.

Cheers,
Quote:

I have looked at your site and it makes you look like a very imature company that will prob end up like dished wheels. A website.
You offer nothing more than buying a wheelset direct from China except your wooden box. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks S.GENTZ same to you...

Quote Reply
Re: Premium Carbon Fiber Wheelsets Only $997 [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see what the problem is with these guys starting another wheel business with open mold wheels.

If you don't like the idea then don't buy them, if flos wheels are better then they have nothing to worry about, if Dan doesn't want them to free advertise the he will delete the thread.

We live in a free market economy, have at it guys and good luck.

So much hate on slowtwitch lol

Haters gonna hate

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: Premium Carbon Fiber Wheelsets Only $997 [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SurfNJmatt You're the man!

Quote Reply
Re: Premium Carbon Fiber Wheelsets Only $997 [wiRIDEfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WIRIDEFAST, we really do appreciate your input here and can now see that you are not just trolling us.

First, we didn't come on here for free advertising. We came to the Slow Twitch community to get hammered! We wanted holes in our website to be pointed out and they were. We wanted anything that sounded misleading to be pointed out and it was, and quickly changed. We wanted real riders to put forth their ideas, like you have, and we are glad to hear them and really do appreciate them, when they are in good spirit.

We understand that a ton of people have been burned by cheap Asian wheels sold on Ebay. We will be the first ones to agree that much of the stuff from Asia is crap. We know this because we bought from ten different manufacturers and only 2 of them turned out to be good. We have spent the time and the money to find what we believe to be one of the best, most knowledgeable and most highly regarded manufacturers of carbon wheels in Asia. No, we didn't have the tooling modified, but we did make changes to the internal workings of their build along with a few other modifications like spoke pitch and obviously the incorporation of the 1k carbon into the wheel. We believe that the changes we have made, took an already good wheel and made it even better.

In your concerns about quality control. We have built an almost 2 year relationship with our manufacturer and through negotiations, are paying a small premium to make sure our wheels are the best wheels coming out of their facility. They are thuroughly inspected before they leave their warehouse, are shipped in higher quality packaging than any of their other customers and are then again inspected when they arrive here in the US.

When Apple CEO, Tim Cook was recently asked in a 20/20 interview on why Apple manufacturers all their products in China and "Are Chinese workers better than American or German workers"?

Tim replied "Let me be clear," Cook said. "China put an enormous focus on manufacturing, in what you and I would call vocational kind of skills. The US over time began to stop having as many vocational kind of skills. I mean you could take every tool and die maker in the United States and probably put them in the room that we're currently sitting in. In China you would have to have multiple football fields." Then was asked "whether China was ahead of the US in manufacturing because of education in China". He replied "Because it was a focus of them," Cook said. "It was a focus of their educational system. That is the reality."

We understand that their is a lot of crap out there, but we are not pedaling crap. We are trying to sell riders looking for an upgrade, the best possible wheel at the best possible price. And we are backing up our wheels with great US customer service. There are many riders out there that are simply looking for an upgraded carbon wheel to train on and enter in a few IM races, without the several thousands of dollar commitment that most wheels require. We are able to make that possible, while avoiding the Ebay roulette wheel. We are not saying that our wheels are only for novice riders, just saying there are a lot of them out there.

As for the custom hubs and skewers, yes we do have plans on doing that in the future, but as for now, we are just trying to offer high quality wheels at a great price. The laser engraving doesn't make the wheel any better or faster, only more expensive. And in reality, we felt it was kind of deceiving. Yes, we do plan on further advancing several aspects of our wheels, but again, at this time we are simply trying to offer a high quality wheel at a great price. Other than Slow Twitch members, most riders are not concerned if our wheel shape is 2 degrees sharper and a few mm different than the next. In our comparison chart on our website, we are not trying to show how different our wheels are from others, but rather trying to show how similar most wheels are when you simply look at their specs. (no, we are not saying our wheels are as tested and researched as Zipp or ENVE), few are.

All of our wheels comply with the 2015 IM competition race rules as highlighted in section 5.02 & 5.03. All wheels sold will be insured by a million dollar comprehensive liability insurance plan from a local A+ rated carrier, to protect both us and our riders from any unforeseen mishaps.

WIRIDEFEAST, thanks again for your input. We truly do wish you the best.

Last edited by: FluidWheels: Dec 22, 15 21:53
Quote Reply

Prev Next