Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

FS: kit / Hack for TT Shimano 12 speed > manual FD shifting (extra shifters)
Quote | Reply
Hello

In reference to this trick posted on other ST threads / links:
- Di2 12 speed synchro shifting hack
and
- FYI: Shimano DA 12-speed Di2, extra switches can be added to make it 6 buttons total
and this youtube video:
- Install Shimano SW-R9150 Satellite Shifter on a Time Trial (TT) or Tri Bike

...Here's a kit ready to go with all the components needed to do this.

Allows to add extra shifting buttons.. also enables the possibility to go from Synchro shifting to manual shifting of the front derailleur, otherwise not possible since no 2-button Shimano shifters are compatible with Shimano 12-speed components.

Getting the kit ready comes with some challenges, but these are all sorted out already. Plug and play.

- The SW-R915 satellite shifters have received a firmware update, so they are recognized by the Shimano 12 speed systems
(more trouble than it appears at first sight: has to be done by connecting to a 11-speed system or by the bike shop - connecting to a 12 speed system directly out of the box bricks your 12-speed groupset as long as they are connected)

- The wire is very short on the satellite shifters and I've spliced the wires to extend them to ~700+ mm to reach your junction box
tested and recognized by the Shimano App, shifting function also tested in manual mode and working.

To install in your front end, simply unplug one of the wires going to the 4-port existing junction box, connect it in the open port on the junction box in this kit (green arrow).. then connect the short wire (red arrow) to the now open port on your original junction box.
Fire up the Shimano App, new shifters are recognized and you can re-assign functions of all your shifters as desired.

Now I was planning to install this on my brake levers so I chopped the front end of the satellite shifters with a Dremel to reduce the footprint and installed high end 3M VHV 5952 double sided tape. I also provide extra length of that tape. for extra thickness or playing with install options if desired.

Below it shows where I was planning to install the shifters, other options are discussed or shown in the linked posts above.

But typical me, I get all the stuff, do all the work, then at the end I change my mind.
Other than test fitting and testing the components, all is new. I never finished the install by routing the wires in the base bar.

Below, it shows the price paid for the components earlier this month (does not include another longer wire I ordered to extend the wires nor the 3M tape which was another $20 on top of that.

If you were considering this hack, this kit is ready to go - all the tricky parts are done.

Asking $170 shipped to US or Canada for the kit.

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Last edited by: spocket: Nov 29, 23 14:25
Quote Reply