Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: FS: 85mm Carbon Clincher Wheelsets [Roughster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about a pic of them on your bike?
Quote Reply
Re: FS: 85mm Carbon Clincher Wheelsets - $695 [qrguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll do a rear wheel if someone wants a front? PM me we'll chat.

Eric
Quote Reply
Re: FS: 85mm Carbon Clincher Wheelsets - $695 [sgwheelman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what would these be "branded" as?

Rather than name names, I will just say that Gigantex makes over 200,000 carbon rims per year for some well-known companies. Many of the rims Gigantex manufactures are exclusive to certain brands. These rims are not manufactured under one of their exclusive arrangements so they are used by several different companies.
Last edited by: sgwheelman: Jan 25, 09 12:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi really only want a rear but would take a set if you would ship to okc for 600.00 all i got if interested johnagni1@netzero.net

john agnitsch
Quote Reply
Re: FS: 85mm Carbon Clincher Wheelsets [stal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hi i have abrand new 100 mm tubular blackwell research would sell then buy a set of these let me know if your interested

john agnitsch
Quote Reply
Re: FS: 85mm Carbon Clincher Wheelsets - $695 [samagni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$600 is below the landed cost for the wheels directly from the factory, so I'm going to politely decline your offer. $695 + shipping is a firm price. It looks like you are one of 2-3 people looking for a rear wheel. You may be able to find a buyer for the front. FWIW, based on the last couple of split set purchases, the rear wheel buyer paid $380 + $20 shipping and the front wheel buyer paid $315 + $20 shipping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i may be interested in FRONT ONLY... one question about the carbon clincher surface.... will the carbon pads work on aluminum clinchers? or do you have to change the pads everytime?

e

My understanding and anyone can chime in if they think I'm off base here... Swiss stop pads will work with both alum and carbon surfaces. That said, I'm not sure its highly suggested you use the same pads and alternate braking surfaces. Reasoning - when you brake on an alum surface small bits of aluminum dust collects on the pads. This amounts to aluminum sand paper on the carbon surface. This is straight out of my head and I have no backing other than logic, so again if I'm off base here flame away.

If they're race day only wheels and you don't intend on using them regularly (training) - I'm sure a race here or there, once a month or so won't take a dire toll on the wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: FS: 85mm Carbon Clincher Wheelsets - $695 [uncle_evan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carbon-specific pads will work on alu rims, but the problem is that they can potentially collect very small fragments of aluminum (especially when used in the rain). Those tiny fragments would be harmful to the carbon rims. These wheels come with a set of brake shoes also - they are designed for the slightly lower braking surface of the rims. Some standard brakes & pads work fine but others don't reach far enough down, hence the special shoes.
Last edited by: sgwheelman: Jan 26, 09 9:10
Quote Reply
Re: FS: 85mm Carbon Clincher Wheelsets - $695 [ericstevens73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found a wheel - thanks guys.

Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wheels arrived earlier in the week. Obviously packaged professionally, they are real pretty.
Quote Reply
Re: FS: 85mm Carbon Clincher Wheelsets - $695 [lonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone asked what they look like on a bike here or in another thread. I have them on my P3C right now so thought I would post:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could these rims be laced onto a rear powertap hub? Also - I can't tell from photos, but it looks like the swirl on the rims might interfere with a disc cover. Any insight?
Quote Reply
Re: FS: 85mm Carbon Clincher Wheelsets - $695 [fleaz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many more wheelsets do you have available? Could you give me a quote for shipping to PA?
Quote Reply
Re: FS: 85mm Carbon Clincher Wheelsets - $695 [fleaz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see any reason why the rims couldn't be laced onto a powertap hub, however, I only have compete built sets. The "swirl" on the rims likely would interfere with a disc cover since ridges are raised. A cover probably requires a consistently flat surface.
Quote Reply
Re: FS: 85mm Carbon Clincher Wheelsets - $695 [rhane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shipping to PA is $30. It will likely cost me a bit more with insurance, but I have kept the shipping consistent for all conus shipments in order to avoid mulitiple shipping quotes. I think I still have 3-4 sets available depending on some pending sales.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually no they don't interfere with a disc cover - wheel builder's disc cover is cut just so that it covers the spokes and meets the rim a cm. or so up the carbon face. The "swooshy" thing is a non issue, it is more in the middle of the rim surface, well away from the inner and outer edges. I ran this wheel (tubular version) with a wheelbuilder wheel cover and intend to do so again with the new clincher I am getting...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks ericstevens73 for the posting a correction to my response about the disc cover fit. It's good to know the wheelbuilder disc cover fits fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: FS: 85mm Carbon Clincher Wheelsets - $695 [Arnaud] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interested, but have a question for all. I've been looking at 50mm wheels for IM CDA, but would these be a good choice for that course? I'll be doing so other races prior to IM also and they will be hilly-ish courses too.

Remember, one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
Quote Reply
Re: FS: 85mm Carbon Clincher Wheelsets - $695 [aggiesdm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you prefer 50mm, I have one new set available - same hubs, Sapim Laser spokes - 20front/24rear. Weight for the 50mm set is 1620g (verified). I can offer them for $665 + shipping. Includes brake shoes & pads, skewers, and spoke tool. The 50mm do not have the raised "swoosh" on the side - just standard 3k carbon with matt finish.
Quote Reply
Re: FS: 85mm Carbon Clincher Wheelsets - $695 [Arnaud] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, a few sets left but going fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PM sent for a pair of the 85mm
Quote Reply
Re: FS: 85mm Carbon Clincher Wheelsets - $695 [RajA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pm sent