Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Athletic Professionalism 101
Quote | Reply
Following up on the thread "Pro Income" here http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=1636632, I thought it would be timely to introduce ironguides' "Athletic Professionalism 101" 12-month course here and now.

First of all: Yes, this is a commercial posting. However, the contents of this curriculum are posted here to generate some thoughts on the nature of "professionalism" and what might be lacking in our sport, and how those drawn to it are contributing to the somewhat loose and lachadaisical notion of professionalism rampant in triathlon.

Our goal is to provide a year of guidance to aspiring pro's and AG'ers seeking to increase what they take out of their triathlon pursuit into the rest of their lives, currently and into the future. The cyclical nature of being an athlete and the attributes demanded of especially the working athlete -- including a high level of organization, strong capabilities in forward thinking, goal setting and orientation, high energy, emotional resilience, objective detachment, and many other personal traits -- lend themselves to success in many other life endeavours. This course will help you "get more" from your training in order to:
  • Generate a better living from triathlon through discussion of various facets of professionalism
  • Apply the non-physical skills and attributes you hone as an athlete to other facets of your life and living
  • Achieve a more mindful, balanced approach to your broader life using your triathlon hobby/passion as a framework
  • Create a community of athletes committed to achieving a higher level of professionalism for themselves, their sponsors and the sport as a whole

* * * Background * * *

My own experience as a full time working AG'er and professional triathlete was that top ten placings at various IM's, standing on a professional ITU world championship podium (as part of the Canadian men's elite team, 1992 Muskoka World's) and several professional national championships (Canada long course, 1996 and 1999) didn't really contribute a dime in income throughout the time. This was during the 1990's and after some years of healthy detachment from the sport, it seems at a fundamental level not much has changed for the vast majority of athletes. At the same time, the professionalism of many races and governing bodies has improved, greatly in the case of the latter.

Looking back not much has changed: The problem lies not so much with a lack of opportunity available to professional and working AG triathletes to market themselves and seek sponsorship, but rather a lack of resources to learn how to take advantage of the many opporunities that do exist. Let's face it: Those drawn to a finance MBA are only rarely the ones drawn into competitive triathlon. Beyond the need to be competitive, the messages of life choices, values, work ethic, and other fundamental approaches to living life that enter triathlon are not always the same as those that create highly successful business professionals. Consequently, what the athletic community perceives to be acceptable conduct and presentation is often at odds with what serious sponsors expect, need or want. Managing a group of athletes, it has been said, "is like herding cats."

During my time in the sport, I learned (without realizing at the time) that combining a full time job with training and racing as a professional triathlete honed the discipline, organizational skills, persistence and commitment required to succeed at a high level in many of life's endeavours. Triathlon is unique in this regard because it offers a cyclical, mass-participation platform for people to experience a "fast track" approach to learning valuable life skills. Life is an iterative process, and our sport provides us a living laboratory in which to witness the effects of maturing and training our will, attitude, approach and orientation towards the end we have mind. With hindsight, it is clear that the end of becoming a better athlete transfers to the end of enlarging our lives, too.

What does this mean? To my athletes, I often liken the process of training for triathlon to the movie "Groundhog Day." Each race or season can be viewed as a mini Groundhog Day in and of itself, since we get the opportunity to make changes to our bodies and attitudes and have the living laboratory of Race Day in which to witness the impact of the changes we have made. As a coach I see time and again (in 100% of the athletes I coach) that they approach the sport in the same way they approach their life, their job -- forgetting that the sport doesn't really care what their IQ is, what degrees they hold, how many people they manage, how many teenagers they parent, and so on. As a coach, my role often includes bringing an athlete 'round to the point of understanding that they have to make certain fundamental changes to their approach to training and racing if they want to improve or succeed at a higher level, much like the character played by Bill Murray in Groundhog Day had to change himself to "get the girl" in the end.

John Steinbeck once said that we are "subject to the faults of our virtues." Meaning that what makes us strong in one part of life can also be the very thing that holds us back in another part of our lives. Training for triathlon, expecially an Ironman -- where the event is long and arduous enough to bring us face to face with our inner demons and shortcomings under duress -- gives us the opportunity to find our faults and understand our nature better. The degree to which we want to take up this challenge is up to each of us individually, but a certain component of this opportunity fuels each of our desires' to take on Ironman or similar endeavours. Who are we really? How do we change or live better with those aspects we don't like? These are questions sport provokes and answers.

Like life, triathlon (and especially Ironman) has rules but no playbook. Once you "get" the rules, you inevitably improve. Learn the rules and follow them and you will be able to play the game according to your own playbook and succeed regardless. The fundamental nugget of truth in this process is that Those Who Listen, Improve. Why? Because listening implies a willingness to change, and conveys a strong character and ability to accept one's faults and flaws -- and a desire to change these to achieve one's goal. Triathlon affords us the opportunity to dig deeper into ourselves, confront the mirror of our results and make the changes required to improve.

During the many years of training to improve at sport, if we are open to change and accepting our faults, we can use our dedication to hone to a very high degree the skills listed above. In my case, for better or worse, the qualities that made me succeed as a professional working triathlete in the end also led to a job offer in the highly competitive world of investment banking on no more than an English degree and my resume of athletic and personal accomplishments. I say "for better or worse" because big city life in London, UK at the age of 38, went against my basic nature and life values.

Consequently, since the job turned out to be strongly at odds with how I want to live my life I have since left, having learned another valuable lesson: That those "innate skills" are trainable and teachable, but only if they are applied at something you truly love doing. We label this "passion" whether rightly or wrongly, but what it boils down to is that if you are pursuing something that is in line with your core values and beliefs about what you want out of life, you can benefit from your training on a much broader scale. Triathlon training and competing becomes an education for the rest of life and the tools and abilities you pick up in your pursuit of sport become tools and abilities that you can apply to earning your living -- at the sport, or after sport.

In other words, many "professionals" and Age Groupers in our sport are leaving a lot on the table approaching the sport the way they do (unprofessionally). You can get more out of triathlon if you are more mindful about how you approach the sport. In effect, training for triathlon can become "Training For My Life 101" and it can help you succeed outside of the sport, too.

* * * Athletic Professionalism 101 * * *

To this end, Felipe Bastos and I are developing an "Athletic Professionalism" curriculum over at ironguides.net (only a brief introduction of this is online). Felipe Bastos, whom I have been coaching for some years, will be assisting me with this course because he exemplifies the high level of professionalism that is possible in this sport. Felipe emigrated to the US from Brazil at age 19 and has been making his living at triathlon since shortly after -- Felipe is living proof of how a professional approach coupled with decent results can lead to making a living at triathlon, a living that includes mortgage payments, car payments and tuition fees.

Together Felipe and I are offering a year-long immersion in Athletic Professionalism to provide guidance on how to better exploit the time spent training, racing, living, breathing and eating triathlon in the pursuit of earning a living off it and enlarging your ability to succeed in life beyond the sport. Over the course of 12 months, the course will offer insight, guidance and instruction on topics including:

Establishing a professional presence
Being proactive
Thinking like a sponsor: Be the sponsor.
Right appearance
Right speech
Common courtesy
Marketability: What do people want to see?
"Forget yourself"
Be the utmost in reliability
Achieve total accountability
Giving vs. Receiving
Your Job is...
Back yourself
Live up to it: No hollow words
The weekly haircut
Perception is everything
One look, one brand
Invest in yourself
Creating the brand of You
Your public persona
Using the Internet to your advantage
Letting the Internet use you to its advantage
Forum presence 101
10 Most Common Mistakes
Cover all the angles
Hire an expert
Bend over backwards for your supporters
Attention to detail
Understanding timeliness
The art of thinking ahead
Leveraging your efforts for your life
Understanding Failure: Failure is not failure. Failure is opportunity. What failure gives you
is the opportunity to think again, to redo, to re-approach, to refine.
The road to success is paved with failure. Our failures enable us to
improve ourselves in our pursuit of success.
100% Integrity. On Everything
Don't commoditize yourself, your image, or your services.
The Secret is: Hard Work.
There is no such thing as "At all costs"

In keeping with the financial demands of the sport, we are keeping tuition to a modest $50 per month, paid in advance. Profiles of Marc and Felipe can be viewed at ironguides.net. Minimum 12 athletes required for the course to kick off. Materials provided on each of the topics above explaining the Why, What, How, and What Next's of each. One 3-day seminar to be included at location of mutual convenience somewhere during the year. Likely in Kona.

All interested athletes can email marc@ironguides.net or felipe@ironguides.net

Remember: Life is short! You have 14,000 days in the bank to spend, so spend them wisely...because 14,000 days = one 40-year career!

--
ironguides.net : Home of The Method
Join the New Generation of Champions!

--- Your best is our business. ---
Last edited by: ironguide: Jan 19, 08 7:58
Quote Reply
Re: Athletic Professionalism 101 [ironguide] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll bump this thread for ya Marc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds great Marc, keep up the good work.
I'm sure many athletes are smart enough to sign up instead of buying another set of new race wheels.

Cheers
Uli

Quote | Reply
Marc,

Wow! That's quite the post. I will say that I agree with the tenor of it.

A few points:

1. I agree with you that Professional triathletes over the years have not done the best job of representing themselves either individually or as a group.

2. It has not helped that the prize money in many races has stayed the same for close to 15 years. Yes their are more races with prize money, but there are also way more athletes now.

3. What money is available is very top heavy so that those who are right at the top, do very well, but you don't have to go to far down from the very top to see athletes scraping by.

4. Many of the companies that are endemic to the sport, and that most often get hit up for sponsorship, are actually very small by business standards. I don't think people in the sport realize how small.

5. The real money is actually outside the sport.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's bump this up again. Great material!

I'm also excited to see that you have an IronSquad elite team. I'm seriously considering applying for 2009, when I return to racing after my maternity season. I think I'll be ready to make the switch from self-coached to coach-coached.

Yes, I too am on Facebook. And LinkedIn. And Twitter. Which begs the question - do I exist in the physical world? Do I?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marc - bumpity bump.

~ agree with Fleck, there is way more money outside the sport (it's how I funded most of the ultras w/ the exception of one deca - Spenco helped in a major way) and I think most athletes do not know how to market themselves.

~ Something once said to me when I was in a deep dark place: if I could just apply wherever I go during my races to my business(essss) I will be very well off. Since I finally figured out how to apply that I think finally this year I'll get to break my own infinity glass ceiling, because really I'm the only one holding myself back.

~ wish your type of program existed when I started out, it would have saved me a few years of digging through my own brain.

~ most importantly - 168 hrs in a week, how you spending yours?

Good luck to you and your athletes!
Quote Reply
Re: Athletic Professionalism 101 [Eileen Steil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump for monday since it sounds like a great program!
Quote Reply