Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aztec Cables - whaddya think?
Quote | Reply
Hey y'all - I'm in the process of building up a TT bike for my wife and decided to go with Aztec teflon cables. They're supposedly universal - that is, there's only one type and the package says they can be used for either shifters or brakes. I ran the brake cables yesterday, and they are sweet - the teflon coating really makes 'em smooth. I'm a little concerned about the diameter though...they seem mighty thin when compared to Shimano brake cables. Also, the knob at the end is different than a typical brake cable - the Cane Creek brake levers I chose are obviously designed to accept Shimano cables. The Aztec's seem to work just fine, but I thought I'd see if anybody out there has any experience with them before I turn my wife loose on the road and have a cable snap or the end pull off. Thanks for your input!

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Aztec Cables - whaddya think? [mthammer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife and I have had them on our bikes for the past year with zero problems. I have a friend (who recommended them to us) who has them on two bikes and who rides ~20k miles per year, and he raves about them. Our collective expereince has been very positive...YMMV.
Quote Reply
Re: Aztec Cables - whaddya think? [Lloyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where do you find them?

Are there other brands of teflon coated cables out there?
Quote Reply
Re: Aztec Cables - whaddya think? [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got mine at the local Performance shop - they're about $20 a set. They are pretty sweet - the housing is lined with a teflon sleeve, and the cables themselves are coated with the stuff - super smooth.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried the new powerlines? They look like a nokon knockoff as they seem to have segmented links.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm such a staunch believer in Shimano cables but these do sound interesting. We haven;t tried them yet. We've done the W.L. Gore Ride-On cables, the Nokons, the Flak Jackets and others and Shimano still seems about the best. At least, it is the easiest to work with.

But hey, maybe an old dog can learn some new tricks....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Aztec Cables - whaddya think? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They definitely feel nice and smooth, and seem to do the job (at least in the basement). There's just a couple of things about them that I'm not 100% comfortable with. I've never heard of a 'universal' cable...seems to me that brake cables are typically a bit beefier (larger diameter) than shifter cables, and the housing is generally thicker. The Aztecs I have are about the diameter (cable and housing) of Shimano SIS shifter cable, and I'm just not sure they're up to the rigors of braking. Going by the shop today to inquire further before okaying them for road-testing.

Quote Reply
Re: Aztec Cables - whaddya think? [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Where do you find them?

Are there other brands of teflon coated cables out there?

http://www.deltacycle.com/

I gave the Aztec Powerlines a 3-week trial on my road bike and here is the readers digest review:

- Cost twice as much as a package of Shimano SIS cables.
- Installation took two and a half times longer than it did to install the Shimano SIS cables the Powelines replaced
- If you do not get ever last bit of play/space out of the cable housing and then ensure that the cables are properly tensioned/adjusted, then you will not enjoy your first ride with the new cables (voice of experience).
- I will admit that the system kept moisture out of cable housings but I the ferules that capped each end of the housing allowed the Jagwire inline barrel adjusters on my bike to lose tension and I was constantly twisting the adjuster towards the end of 60-70-80 mile training rides.
- End of week 3 and I elected to purchase a new set of Shimano SIS cables and new Jagwire inline adjuster with special cable ferules (bike shifts great)

I find it interesting to note that last year, cable systems like Nokon and IRD seemed to be all the rage on the pro's bikes in europe (especially ONCE), but take a look at pictures of the bikes in the pro peloton this year and you will seem that most of them are all back to sporting traditional cablehousing/sets. I tell you what though, I would really like find a source for this new, lightweight, braided brake cable with the teflon inner liner (OEM - Jagwire CGX; http://www.jagwire.com.tw) that I have been seeing on all the new bikes lately - stuff looks pretty trick!

Michael

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: Aztec Cables - whaddya think? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
would your recommend dura-ace cables on a campy system?

I was, now I will tri again!
Any time is a good time.
God Bless you my friend.
Quote Reply