Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wannabe Triathlete in need of help
Quote | Reply
Hello All,

I am a 24 year old runner (3:30 LA Marathon '04) who is now an age group triathlete wannabe. I've been borrowing my bro-in-law's Merlin (road geom with aero bars) for a few rides. Now I'm on a quest to find my own ride.

I am looking to work up to 1/2 and full Ironman distance races next year (will be doing a lot of riding).

My wallet...er...wife, says I can spend up to $2,300 for the complete bike (pedals, etc. included). I think that puts me in the Aluminum/Ultegra category. I am looking for a steep (76-78 degree) geometry bike.

With so many brands to choose from, which should I narrow my search to? Which tend to fit athletes with longer torsos? The measurements that God gave me are as follows:

Ht. 5'8" Wt. 175 lbs. Inseam 83 cm Torso 58 cm Thigh 40 cm

Arm 63 cm U.B.M 121 cm Shoulder 44 cm

Hopefully those of you out there with experience can look at these measurements and help me narrow my search. If anyone my size has had a good experience on their ride, chime in!

Thank you in advance.

Quote | Reply
Find a used or on sale Soft Ride or Titan flex. You can adjust them all over the place and they make the ride soooo comfortable. Your rear and back will love you. I've seen a recent deal on soft-ride frame and fork with Zipp 404's for around $2500. Sell the zipps (retail ~$1300) to get the ultegra set up and get some less expensive wheels???? I think I saw it in Triathlete mag.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Wannabe Triathlete in need of help [Gilberto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems to me you could get a brand spankin' new Cervelo P2K and sneak the pedals in the back door...

She didn't say it has to include sales tax, did she?

-Zo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought I would put in my two cents here. Granted I'm a girl, 5'8, much smaller build (122lbs), but I ride an Aegis. I LOVE it! I had a Cervelo, but found it beat me up too much on the longer stuff (ie Ironman distance races). I know a few others on Aegis' who also love theirs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gilberto where do you live? If it is in the LA area I would go see Christopher Kautz in San Fran and get a fitting and let him tell you what bike you need. www.pkracing.com He is one of the worlds best TT/Tri fitters.
Quote Reply
Re: Wannabe Triathlete in need of help [grant salter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in Orange County.

Quote | Reply
Another top notch LBS in SoCal is Edge Cyclesports in Laguna Hills. The proprietor is Hank Iglesias and he's a F.I.S.T. Certified fitter. He'll give you some recommendations too.

I'm with HotRed as far as being an Aegis fan. I'm a giant compared to your dimensions, but my Aegis can climb when it needs to and gets an A for comfort.

Get a bike that makes you feel fast. Isn't that what it's all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Wannabe Triathlete in need of help [drownbikerun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
any one else?