Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Long sleeves/hot weather clothes options?
Quote | Reply
O.k. all - I need some input. Given that long training days (if they ever come back for me) and sun = bad skin, wrinkles, freckles, and cancer. Especially aero bars = toasted forearms.

Anybody make good hot weather long sleeved clothes? Biking? Running?

Should the clothes wick water away from the skin or not? Seems like wicking water away from the skin defeats the whole sweating principle. Water soaked clothes on the other hand are unpleasant....

SPF of clothes? Like De Soto arm coolers have a SPF and they recommend putting sunscreen on under them. WTF? Anybody ever get burned through clothes???? We used to swim all day in speedo's and our butts never tanned at all....

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Long sleeves/hot weather clothes options? [daveinmammoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have "heard" that most light white shirts have an SPF of around 50, but have not experienced a burn personally. I do a lot of sailing and I wear white long sleeved tech shirts most of the time these days. When it is hot out, the long sleeve shirt seems about as hot as a short sleeve, but I can feel the difference in the sun not hitting as hard on my arms. I think the cooling from sweat evaporation would work from evapoartion from the shirt, too, but likely not as well as directly from the skin. There is some new info on SPF and the chemicals that best protect. From experiencing terminal, malignant melanoma second-hand, I am a believer in the need for protection.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DeSoto makes white arm coolers. Look kinda strange and get a lot of comments but they do work. Keeps the sun off the skin, white color feels cooler than burnt skin and the cool weave material does a nice job when wet - just pour on some water at aid stations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting note. I noticed that Luke Bell wore a black long sleeve shirt at 1/2 IM Florida. Wonder if there is a connection?

Matt Amman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave,
I have a pair of the Arm coolers. They definitely keep the sun off. Not tan or burn even on long rides in midday sun. I find them a little warm on long slow climbs. Water solves that problem, but you have to have regular H2O. On fast stuff and descents, they definitely cool things down.

I still put a little thin coat of sunscreen on under them, as I occasionally pull them to the wrists on the long slow climbs.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply