Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Audi S6, S4 or allroad...which one to buy?
Quote | Reply
Trying to decide between an Audi S6 Avant, allroad, or S4 Avant (used, 2002-2004 models). The S4 and allroad have the six-cylinder 2.7L turbo engine, which is highly tunable. The S6 has the 340hp 8-cylinder engine. Don't really care about gas mileage as their both fairly similar, and better than what I drive now.

Do I go bigger (S6), sportier (S4) or practical (allroad)? Anybody with experience with both/either cars? I've owned an A6 before and I loved everything about it except the engine (slooooow acceleration).
Quote Reply
Re: Audi S6, S4 or allroad...which one to buy? [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would get the Allroad - or the S4 (V8). Would love to trade in my A3 for the S4.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Audi S6, S4 or allroad...which one to buy? [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the new S4 is very nice, but more than I want to spend. Car payments are for suckers, so it's a cash-on-hand purchase.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Allroad and an A6 sedan. The Allroad is nice but nothing spectacular. I would go for the S6 Avant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didnt notice the years...you have enough for a 2006 A3? For 2007 Audi does not cover all of the services for 50k miles.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I drove an S4 back to back with an S8 and a TT at a track day a couple of years ago. I was least impressed with the S4. Poorer build quality, a bit skitish turning in (basically understeering, but without enough feel as to what was going on).

The S6 Avant is the best looking of the three, and if you're in a straight choice between an S6 Avant and an Allroad, I can't think of a single reaon why you'd want the Allroad (although that's more to do with my style of driving).

Have you considered an A8/S8? The footprint of the boot is larger than that in the A6. I can get a 56cm bike frame into my A8 boot sideways; plenlty of room for other things.
Quote Reply
Re: Audi S6, S4 or allroad...which one to buy? [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a big fan of the A3.
Quote Reply
Re: Audi S6, S4 or allroad...which one to buy? [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want a wagon, so the A8/S8 isn't really an option. Very nice cars, though. I drive in a lot of shitty weather in the winter (I live in Utah) and even though my A6 was fantastic in the snow, I thought an allroad would be even nicer. I could also fit my bike in the back of the A6 without any problem (fold the seats down and I didn't even need to remove the bike's front wheel).

Pretty much deciding between these two:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=192462532&dealer_id=44726268&model=S6&make2=sel_one&lang=en&isp=y&start_year=1981&engine=&certified=&fuel=&search_type=used&distance=0&make=AUDI&color=&min_price=&body_style=WAGON&drive=&max_mileage=&address=84105&advanced=y&end_year=2007&doors=&transmission=&max_price=

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=203202750&dealer_id=56327323&model=ALLRDQUA&make2=sel_one&lang=en&isp=y&start_year=1981&engine=&certified=y&fuel=&search_type=certified&distance=0&color3=GRAY&color2=CHARCOAL&make=AUDI&color=SILVER&min_price=1&body_style=WAGON&drive=&max_mileage=30000&address=84105&advanced=y&end_year=2007&doors=&transmission=&max_price=35000
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a former owner of an S car ( 95 Avant ) my feeling is that as long a s you have a good certified mechanic, and a VERY DEEP wallet I say go for an 02-03 S4.

The b6 platform is a very solid one. Bulletproof engine even with mild mods.

I had a IA Stage I ECU + rS2 manifold + full exhaust and FMIC intercooler upgrade that netted about 322 hp at the crank (Dynaflow Dyno). On cold November evenings that car would just about rip a hole into another dimension.

My only issues with Audi's , I've had 3 total ( 1984 Quattro,1991 200T Q and the 95 s4 is that they are expensive to maintain. Little things like the dashboard sensors would always go off...and according to my friend that owns an 03 S4 with 50K on the clock , this is still an issue.

Then there are the parts ! They go thru wheel bearings and CV joints like you wouldn't believe. Especially if you drive them like they were made to be driven.

So if you can live with the possiblity of the Audisms..then get one and enjoy it. I'm sure I'll end up with one again some day.

Just to throw another option to the pot, I sold my S4 a few years ago after getting a ride in a friends Volvo V70R wagon. They made these R wagons in 99 and 2000. AWD with 260hp stock.

He had his completely tricked out with a hi performance ECU + Intake and dual exhaust and that thing had over tick over 300hp and is soo much more reliable that an Audi. Cheaper parts and labor with a total sleeper look.

I ended up with one myself and its one of the best cars I ever owned.

Its almost as fast as the new s4 for less than half of the cost ; )

PS: The Allroad is a great looking wagon...but can't get out of its own way. Too heavy and underpowered.

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be selfish and splurge for the rs4 avant.......you won't regret it....

non illigitamus carborundum
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are really looking for the best performance wagon you'll have to go with the E55 AMG...

Of course, you could go 'bigger' than a wagon and try out a Cayenne Turbo S...car payments might be for suckers but how about a house payment? ;)

Of your choices, I'd go with the S4. Of course, you could get similar performance in a cheaper, tuneable, more reliable car with the 'new' ('06) WRX. I'd personally prefer that to a 3-4yr old S4. Now if only Subie offered the STi in wagon form I'd be first in line.

ot
Quote Reply