Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ford Escape or X-type wagon?
Quote | Reply
while i love my Jag x-type, it's not really functional for my life. now i have 2 dogs, and see these little paw prints on the nice leather. yikes. also, i have to drive it to the grocery store, which seems ridiculous. the reason i got it in the first place is for a business car...but i do drive it for other things. it's a little frustrating to tell you the truth. i'm considering ending the lease early.

my other vehicle is a Ford truck, has my bike rack in the bed and seems like i drive it alot. great truck but 2 dogs don't go well inside of it, and it's hard for groceries.

have been thinking when my Jag lease is up, either switching to a black Ford Escape Limited (still nice enough for business, and can also hold the dogs better, bikes better, and doesn't seem over the top for the grocery store). or, the Jag x-type wagon in ultraviolet blue (still nice, color is cool, dog/bike/grocery friendly).

has anyone had an Escape? Or a Jag wagon?

BTW, i'm pretty open to something other than these 2 as well, but i have to keep it in the Ford family...
Last edited by: kittycat: Jun 28, 06 6:08
Quote Reply
Re: Ford Escape or Jag X-type wagon? [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kittycat,

My sister drives a Mercury Mariner, which I believe is very similar to the Escape and likes it alot. No dogs though, so it is hard to report. My Dad just sold his full-size Econoline (BIG move since he has been driving one of those for 33 years) and bought one of those new Freestyles. Surprising amount of room in it, and the ride is nice. My Dad drove it on some longer trips and says that he was getting 28 MPG, so that is pretty good for that sized vehicle. I've never been in a Jag, which is probably good because it would ruin me!

Bernie

Re: Ford Escape or X-type wagon? [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode in a freinds Freestyle two weeks ago. Freestyle all the way.

The Escapes are nice but the Freestyle seemed to have more room and for sure road smoother.
Quote Reply
Re: Ford Escape or X-type wagon? [struggle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it seems like a huge wagon! i might feel too much like a "mom" in it...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When we wer car shopping last summer, we drove a LOT of small SUVs, including the Escape, Rav4, Highlander, VUE, CRV, Freestyle, etc. Now, we ended up with the Highlander--which despite being a Ford person for most of my car owning life--I LOVE. Can't see myself ever owning anything else again.

BUT if you need to stay in the Ford family...I would go Freestyle over the escape. It actually had more room, drove a heck of a lot better and was a lot more comfortable (esp. for rear passengers). It was our second choice (after the highlander)--we wanted to go with a car that was a year or two old, and as there were no freestyles like that, we went with the highlander. But we DID like the Freestyle quite a bit.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ford Escape or X-type wagon? [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmmm. interesting!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had an Escape for 4 years. I have not been in one recently but I had mine from 2000 -2004. The Escape was okay but I was not in love with it to be sure. The room was okay, although more suited for stuff and my 3 dogs than people in the back. My brother is about 6 foot and it was not all that comfortable for him in the back. Here is what I didn't like about it. (By the way, mine was not limited just a step below which still had power everything, moon roof, 6 disc etc. just no wood paneling and trim.) I found the seat to not be comfortable on longer trips and I would define that as anything more than 1 - 1.5 hours. I thought it was terribly noise on the highway. I had horrible luck with the windshield breaking which I can't really blame on Ford but in CO it is annoying. It felt a bit cheap to me and that may be an issue coming from a Jag.

Have you driven one yet? What did you think
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, when you're IN it, it feels more like the car-chassis SUVs...like the highlander or something. Nice and roomy, but not overly long or super tall.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the escape. Very usable vehicle, with plenty of room to slide bikes or dogs in the back with seat(s) down. The roof rack makes some wind noise, and I guess that you could remove the sliding supports to eliminate if it was an issue. I would certainly consider getting a aftermarket stereo rather thatn the stock setup. I find the leather front and backseats very comfortable - I am 5'11". I believe that you can strike a better deal than the freestyle which to me just seems to be a Subaru clone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kittycat -- Jag Kittycat --- Subaru?!?!?

Stick with Jag. Love the Jag.

(Besides, it is a Ford)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have got to be fucking kidding me JoAnne...X-Wagon, or get a benz E350 Wagon...now that you know what a good car is you can not go back (is the jag black?)

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are not going to have Jag type class, why not go hard-core? Do you really have to stay in the Ford family? Toyotas will run forever. I don't think I will be able to put my bike in standing up as with an Element, but I won't have to come out and gag every morning.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had an escape for about 2 years. Things I disliked. I had it aligned twice in the 56k miles that I drove it. Noisy on the hwy. ok gas mileage but I would have preferred a few more mpg. Some of those trips phx - El Paso ended on fumes. Thankfully Francois lived on a big hill and I could roll down to the gas station. Not much room in the back seat. The rear storage area could have designed a touch better. The way the rear seatbacks were positioned left a big area of storage space only usable for small items like pumps, shoes etc. always on driving lights (I have little regard for speed limits and cops can see you from further away). Rode a bit rough at times. Worlds smallest glove box.

Things I liked. You could remove the rear seat cushions. Freaking amazing at now much more room, versitility and functionability the truck had with them gone. I'd throw the dog beds in there and the three of them would be happy for 5 hour trips. You could, if you removed the wheels put 4 bikes in the back. 6 disc cd changer. V6 had pretty good power and acceleration. Pretty easy to park, good visability, good manuverability in traffic. I liked the back hatch b/c it provided a shield from the rain or sun or whatever when I was getting out stuff from the back.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I had to stay in the Ford family(or even if I was not), I would be looking at a Volvo V50 or V70. They handle well, are pretty reliable, safe. IMHO, the V50 looks really sweet in the optional trim. Volvo resale seems to be a lot better than the Jag or ford.

If you are looking at the Jag wagon price range, another Ford product would be the upcoming Land Rover LR2 (replacing the Freelander).
Quote Reply
Re: Ford Escape or X-type wagon? [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monk--i can't have that for business! I'm just trying to meet in the middle. I love my car, but it seems strange to have the dogs in it with their little prints, and go to the store.

i'm probably going to go with the Jag wagon in a cool color.

Thanks for the feeback everyone!

and, yes, for whoever asked, my jag is black with champagne interior...it's the nicest car i've ever owned, that's for sure. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got to be the wagon, Kitty. No SUVs for this cat, you need the sleek lines, responsible emissions and fuel economy that goes hand in glove with a wagon whilst still getting the load capacity that a triathletes with two dogs demands. Oh, and you will get better service touring up at the fruit makret in the JAg than an SUV.

It's the cat for kitty!

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my take on Jag,

I am babysitting my dad's two seat convertable jag. Nice car, if you are under 6 feet tall. 2 weeks before the warranty ran out the trans crapped out. The dealer cost for the trans was something like $6,000. (six thousand dollars!) Retail has to be above ten large. Right now the convertable top is busted due to congealed hydraulic fluid in the lines in the mechanism and top. Repair estimate is $2,500 (twenty five hundred!). Now the reason that i'm babysitting this thing: If he leaves if over a month without driving it the alarm and other car electronics kill the battery, which is $600(six hundred). He has replaced it twice. If the battery dies, it requires a "computer re-boot" that is something like five hundred. I keep in in my garage plugged into a trickle charger for the summer, driving it occasionally. The current trans has a tendency to go into a fault mode that requires you to stop, shutdown ,and restart the car or you will be stuck in fourth gear forever. All of the repairs have been done at the Jag dealer.

As nice as that car is, and it is nice, red w tan interior, great A/C, handles great, i wouldn't wish it on anyone!

I'd take a Ford freestyle, or a light diesel truck if they ever make one for a utility vehicle.

Good luck!

Quote Reply
Re: Ford Escape or X-type wagon? [B-Dub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As nice as that car is, and it is nice, red w tan interior, great A/C, handles great, i wouldn't wish it on anyone!

I'd take a Ford freestyle, or a light diesel truck if they ever make one for a utility vehicle.

=======================================================================

And the irony is that Ford owns and makes the Jag!

Quote Reply
Re: Ford Escape or X-type wagon? [JulianInEngland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol! hey, i don't give a shit what happens to the car down the road. i'll be leasing. thanks to a Pontiac that sucked a ton of money from me (BTW, how does a car do that when it gets driven just 4,000 miles in a year?), i'm on the lease bandwagon. additionally, leasing is better from a business/tax stand point.

i think i'll go with the Jag wagon. also going to see what it would take to get out of my current lease. depending on that i might wait, we'll see! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck whichever way you jump ( unless it's to SUVland), just don't forget to post pictures. FWIW, I think you should go with the wagon in British Racing Green.

Quote Reply
Re: Ford Escape or X-type wagon? [JulianInEngland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ultraviolet blue :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, BRG is a regal colour suitable for a lady of your standing.

Quote Reply