Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Knee Surgery-Lateral Release
Quote | Reply
What's up everyone. My season is on hold now. I have been having problems for 4 months now and finally the doctor did something about it. I had the knee scoped yesterday. He called it a lateral release and something else. He had to cut the muscle and tendons back a bit so that the cap could track properly. He also worked to smooth the cartilage. Any idea on recovery time? His idea is that crutches until Monday, and PTherapy on Tuesday. Swimming starting in 3 weeks and biking 4-5 weeks from now. Any help would be great. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Knee Surgery-Lateral Release [hansoa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife's had this surgery done to both knees. Recovery time for her was reasonably quick. Walking without crutches within a couple days. Easy exercise (physical therapy, biking, walking, swimming) after a couple weeks. Probably 90% recovery within 4-6 weeks.

Good luck! Did you get the scope on video? The lateral release is a fun one to watch - reminds me of Hungy Hungry Hippos.
Quote Reply
Re: Knee Surgery-Lateral Release [hansoa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had one of those mid January (2000), was on the exercise bike by the end of the week (very slowly, just to aid in recovery), and never used crutches. I started running on a treadmill about a month later, running outdoors about two months later, and I did an off-road olympic distance tri the following June. Aside from occasional stiffness, my knee is doing great.

Best of luck to you in your recovery.
Quote Reply
Re: Knee Surgery-Lateral Release [Dominic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dominic - is your knee still stiff? Mine is off and on 3 months after the surgery.

I just had my knee scoped in December. Been riding for a while but justed started running short distances on the treadmill. The underside of the kneecap is still somewhat tender.

I have not done anything laterally and am not sure about re-joining my basketball league.

Any problems with lateral movements?
Quote Reply