Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Poll: How much do you spend on food?
Quote | Reply
I was reading a thread at letsrun.com that someone posted asking how much everybody spent on groceries. Thought it was interesting so I figured Id bring it up here. I was surprised by the responses on that site since most of those guys are extremely fast (sub 2:30 marathoners and the like)...alot of their diets were not very good. (not that Im a saint or anything)

Here's my deal: My wife keeps a very accurate count of how much we spend on everything and has it broken down by line item. So I know my numbers are accurate. We moved in together in 1996 and spent $3700 that year, over the years as our diets have gotten much better and the numbers have grown. In 2002 we spent $9952 on groceries, that doesnt count eating out which we dont do frequently (maybe once per month). The healthier weve gotten the less money we have...I wont even say what we spend on triathlon. The guys i work with are floored by that number since its just me and my wife.
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: How much do you spend on food? [marty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife keeps also an accurate count of how much we spend on everything (since last year). At the begin of the year we make a budget for the money aviable.

In the budget we have 750 swiss franc ($540) per month or CHF 9000 ($6500) a year. Last year we don't used the whole budgeted amount. We are a couple with a 17 month old son.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The relationship between price and food quality is blurred. I spend very little on food, but I tend to buy seasonal fruits and vegetables at our local farmer's market. I also stick with less processed foods (e.g. beans, pasta), which typically cost less.

This morning I ate a large serving of oats (69 US cents/pound) with home-cooked Michigan apples and some Michigan blueberries I bought and froze last summer. It would be difficult to eat cheaper than that and it's certainly a decent, healthy meal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm single and I budget $300 a month for groceries. That doensn't include gels, hydration, bars, etc. (I don't use much of that stuff anymore anyway).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People: 2

Monthly Grocery Cost (covers breakfast and dinners during the week and some wknd meals): $600

Monthly Lunch Cost (lunch at work during the week): $400

Monthly Restaurant Costs (go out once/twice per week): $250

Total Monthly Food Cost: $1250

Total Yearly Food Cost: $15,000
Quote Reply