Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Short Course Training - Advanced
Quote | Reply
I have completed 2 IMs. However, due to the arrival of our child I will be competing in sprint Tris the rest of this year. How should I change my training approach. What do my long runs/rides need to be? Any help would be appreciated as there is a plethora of info on IM training but not much on advanced sprint training.

Thanks

Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Short Course Training - Advanced [bamaE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say 2x overdistance on both bike and run would be plenty for your long workouts and probably more than enough with the base you are bringing to the table. If you are pushed for time, I would drop them to 1.5x. The key for sprint training is to be rested enough to really nail your threshold (or tempo depending on your vocabulary) workouts.
Quote Reply
Re: Short Course Training - Advanced [bamaE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally, for short course training, I'll still do 3-4 hour rides each week. My long runs peak out around 1:30-1:45. But, those are probably a little long for most, I just like riding and running longer workouts. But, a solid 2 hour long ride and 75 minute long run is probably sufficient.

My weekly workouts are all about an hour on the run and they're made up of 2-4 miles of fartlek/intervals on the track, road, or trail. The second run would be a straight tempo run of up to about 5 miles or two shorter tempo runs with about 5 minutes rest between...2x15 minutes for example. For the biking, it's usually 60-90 minutes x 2 with an interval session that builds up to either 2x20 minutes with 5 minutes between or 3-4x10 minutes with 2-3 minutes between. The other ride is just a ride Swimming is about the same.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply