Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Newbie Bike Decision Help - I Purchase Tuesday
Quote | Reply
I realize that most of you own bikes far above what I am considering, but if anyone has any advice, I'd be happy to hear it.

I am finally ready to pull the trigger on a new bike. I have been using my 12 year-old Schwinn road bike on a trainer, but would like a good entry-level bike for my first races (sprints this year, maybe oly or longer next year).

I am following the advice of many (including Dan) and getting a road bike as my first real bike. My budget is about $1,000 for the bike, plus a couple of hundred for extras (helmet, pedals, computer).

I was looking at Felt (F70), but I'm not 100% comfortable with the LBS (they are the only Felt dealer within 150 miles). I found a shop I'm more comfortable with (bigger selection, more knowledgeable about tri-specific and recently released products, longer track-history), and they carry several lines I may be interested in. I was planning on getting a fitting to see if a Giant OCR-1 works for me. The fact that it has some Ultegra (shifters, rear derailleur) in addition to the 105 components was appealing, and Dan's write-up in the product review section had some good things to say about Giant and the OCR-1.

The bike shop I have an appointment with called to confirm it, then pointed out that the Giant may take about a month to arrive. They said I should come in and also check out the Specialized Allez Elite, which is about the same price. It is all 105, but the guy said the fork was better. And they have it in stock. Kind of sounds like a sales pitch, but I wanted to get your advice.

If you were to advise someone choosing between the Giant OCR-1 and the Specialized Allez Elite, what would your advice be?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Bike Decision Help - I Purchase Tuesday [TriAlbany] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't buy the Specialized just because it is in stock. I know it is hard to wait, but get what you want, even if you have to wait a month. I'm sure you also know, buy the bike that fits, etc.

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much did you budget for a fit? How do you know the bike in question fits? Did you spend as much time looking for a qualified fitter before you found the bike?

Some important information is missing in your post.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Specialized Allez Elite is a nice bike. It's got paired spoke wheels (16 front and 20 rear) and a carbon seatpost which is a nice touch.

I'd at least look at it. It's a very good value for a road bike in my opinion. I was helping a friend pick out a bike this summer and looked at this one on his behalf and I was really impressed with how much bike it was (2003 model) for the money.

For my first bike I would not to special order a bike and buy sight unseen, it'd prolly be ok doing that but I just wouldn't.

There's not gonna be a great deal of performance difference in this bike and just about any bike in this price range that I can see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my opinion, you need to get out of the mindset of buying a bike like buying most other products these days like cars, stereo's, etc. where you buy based on tangible items such as components, looks, etc. vs. price. The best bike is going to be the one you're the most comfortable on and also comes from a shop you are most comfortable going to getting it serviced, etc.

If the guy starts trying to sell you something because of components, stop right there. You want him to sell it to you because it fits you. Even though you are spending at the low end for a bike, this is still a lot of money. If you make a mistake, you aren't going to be able to get your money back.

So, like Joe M said, go with a good, trustworthy fitter (not a person who just tries to sell you something off the floor), and don't worry about much else as long as a bike is in your price range. Believe me, I didn't do this, and I am regretting the decision.

I feel like the felt, giant and specialized are all very nice bikes. As long as they fit you interchangeably (I don't know anything about this), then any of those would be an outstanding first bike.

Don't be hasty (which is damn near impossible with all those sexy ass bikes on the floor seducing you and telling you that if you buy now you can ride today), and good luck,

Jack

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In addition to what everyone else has said... I would also add that there reaally isn't much of difference between 105 and ultegra... they are very comporable especially fro the needs of a beginner... Big differece between 105 and tiagra/sora... So don't fixat on the components focus on the bike itself... does it feel good?
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Bike Decision Help - I Purchase Tuesday [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In addition to what everyone else has said... I would also add that there reaally isn't much of difference between 105 and ultegra... they are very comporable especially fro the needs of a beginner... Big differece between 105 and tiagra/sora... So don't fixat on the components focus on the bike itself... does it feel good?

Heard it, or tried it? I rode ultegra and tiagra brakes and guess what - the tiagras were better. Not the brakes of course - they work exactly the same, the rubber fit to the rim better. The point is, braking and shifting depends mainly on your abilty to maintain the parts and - in case of brakes - select the right (usually soft and fast wearing) rubber over a hard and cheap one. A well tuned tiagra shifting systems outperforms a sloppy maintained ultegra easily. Exceptions maybe for the FD and the crankset, 105/Ultegra are really better there. But RD and brakes I am really not sure. STI Ultegra seems better than 105 and Tiagra though.

And dont forget the role of cables etc. People claiming that a Tiagra RD doesnt work after 1000km, usually don`t tighten the cables after the first 500km which is unfortunately necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Bike Decision Help - I Purchase Tuesday [Jack in Mi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, I was worried I wouldn't hear much because it was the type of post that is repeated often, with slight changes in the specifics.

I think you have really helped redirect me back to fit. I had started my search on this site last fall (thanks to a helpful IM coworker). I understand the value of fit, and had my old bike fitted (as best as possible) to me for the first time so I could use it this winter.

But I had been drifting into "this one's shifters is this", etc. The retailer I am going to is on Slowtwitch's list of recommended dealers...not FIST certified, but none are in my area. On Tuesday I will be sure the focus is on fit (it is very possible the sales person was just responding to my "I think I want a Giant" mindset). I guess buying a bike that is not in stock could be risky, since I won't really know how it fits.

Again, thanks for your help in keeping me focused on the right things.

I will review the fitting advice I have read and try and be sure that it is being followed at the shop, and make sure I'm not just being sold on a bike because it is there.

Jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You really won't know if it fits just because it is in stock either. The only way you'll know is if the person who is fitting you knows, mainly because you are real new to this. What should happen is that a person takes some key measurements, maybe positions you on a serrota cycle or something, then recommends some frames that they feel will fit you properly, then gets the one you decide in stock (if it isn't already), then swaps out the stem, sets the seat height, adjusts the cleats, etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about a shop being fist certified or not since you are buying a road bike. As I understand it, FIST is more to standardize tri bike fit, which isn't as well understood as road bike fit. One thing to beware of is selecting the frames. A person can take the best measurements in the world, but be careful if they start recommending frame sizes based on catalog numbers since the physical measurements can vary significantly from the ones listed in the catalog. This may just be a tribike thing, but maybe someone else can chime in hear and verify or deny this concern for road bikes.

Good luck - there really are few things better than getting a new bike,

Jack

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder what ever happened with this?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Bike Decision Help - I Purchase Tuesday [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to update my post.

I made a purchase...thus guaranteeing 6-12 inches of snow throughout the Northeast. Sorry.

Had a pretty good 2 1/2 hour experience at the bike shop. Ended up going with the Specialized Allez Elite. When I got there the salesman (Jeff) had an OCR-3 in size large (same size as the large OCR-1 I was interested in, which wasn't in stock) and the Specialized out and ready for me to sit on. I tried both on a trainer for a bit after a brief fitting for each.

They felt similar while pedaling, but I was most comfortable on the Specialized. Riding on the hoods (as I will probably be doing for the most part, for now), seemed very natural. After reviewing the specs (very similar...Specialized gives up a bit of Ultegra in favor of a very nice carbon seat post), I was swayed by the better feel of the Specialized and its adjustability.

That lead to a longer fitting with the Specialized, and we ended up going with a bit shorter stem than stock. When we talked about modifications to make the bike a little more aero-friendly at some point in the distant future, he seemed to have a very good understanding of what the tri set-up entails, and the limitations of achieving that with a road bike.

Anyway, after he did the minor adjustments, I took it out for a test ride. Wow. What a difference from my $300 Schwinn circa 1992. Most notable was the acceleration. It was pretty darn cold (snow started as my credit card was swiped), so I just spent a few minutes on a spin near the shop, but it felt great.

Now I just have to wait for the snow to stop...about a week or so of on-and-off snow showers, they say.

Thank you again for your help in this thread and to Dan for the info available at this site.

Jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like you and your bike fitter did a fine job. That's encouraging. Another thing I thnk you did that was smart was your timing. When the first nice weather days hit you will be ready to get out on your bike- when the bike shop is crowded with people desperate to take whatever they can get NOW. So you were well-informed to do a good job shopping now.

There has to be some satisifaction in wading through all the hype and finding a bike that you feel works for you. You should take some pride and satisfaction in that. Good job. You are the kind of customer that makes this job fun.

I hope you have a lot of great rides on your new bike, and I'm sure you will. There is nothing like a summer spent on a new bike.

Remember to wear your helmet and always be safe. Good job!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriAlbany - just curious. Was your purchase/fitting at Blue Sky Cycles in Saratoga? I had a bike fitting done there (by Jeff) and it was excellent. He got me into a very comfortable position in my aerobars and spent 2+ hours doing the fitting. I'll definitely be going back there this fall when it's time to purchase a tri bike.

A friend has the Specialized you purchased and loves it!
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Bike Decision Help - I Purchase Tuesday [uptown423] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it was Blue Sky. Overall, I'd definitely recommend them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in a similar situation as TriAlbany. I want to spend around $1250 for a bike. I was looking at last years’ models to save some cash, specifically a Giant TCR1 if I got a good deal.

I don’t mean to start a flame war. I don’t mean to purposely antagonize certain proponents of the following topic. That being said:

I don’t understand the emphasis on bike fit based on my own, admittedly limited, experience with road bikes. I ride a mountain bike almost exclusively. These rides can be up to 4 hours at a time. A typical ride for me is 1-2 hours. I notice no difference in a one hour ride whether it be on a MTB, or a spin bike or recumbant at the gym (other than seat height-type preferences that I have developed over time). What differences SHOULD I be feeling?

From what I read, a steep well-fitted tri bike will give me a better run out of T2, and can get me lower in front for aero benefits. What about a road bike? What can I be missing out on? As long as I’m *close* to what "fits", the handling should be fine, and based on my experience riding gym bikes, I shouldn’t be more injury prone. So what could be so critical to a road bike?

Thank you in advance.

Burns

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I am considering purchasing racing wheels this year for my tri bike. I would like 650 clinchers (used sew ups for racing as a CAT 3 years back and hated the process). Would appreciated advice on wheels. My budget is around $800-$1200.

When are we gonna get spring time and warmer temps here? LOL

thanks
Jonathan (Chicago)

------------------------------------------------

Trying to find ways to pass the time.
Quote Reply