Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Twitch in my swim stroke
Quote | Reply
It's driving me nuts. Sunday was the first time it appeared, but only for a short while.

Last night during swim practice it happened again, and I was forced to swim our main set of 10x3 minutes (5x3 minutes easy-mod, 5x3 minutes mod-hard) with these big paddles that trashed my shoulder muscles.

The twitch is in my fingers. In my right hand, the fingers unwantedly split into two 'groups' so it looks like a turtle's hand. The thumb, first finger and second finger 'magically' move away from the other two fingers. I can't swim like because I don't get a grip on the water.

Anyone have any tips to stop this? It just starts and stops randomly...
Quote Reply
Re: Twitch in my swim stroke [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have no idea who Mork is, huh?

Have you actually counted your stroke cycles, as well as track your times? Are they getting slower as a result? Because it's not like the surface area of your anchor arm is compromised, it's just distributed differently.

If you are going slower or feel your PE is higher at certain velocities...maybe try some sculling and swimming with fist drills to start?

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you trying to squeeze your fingers together when you swim, consciously or unconsciously? It could be that the muscles in your hand are getting fatigued. Try to consciously relax your hand, leave a small gap between each finger, just like if you are resting your hands on a keyboard.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read this post, went out and did my swim, and while swimming started thinking about his, and ended up now doing the exact same thing. This is like one golfer getting the "shanks" and the next thing you know everybody gets it.

Don't read this post people. It will happen to you. You will get the swimming "shanks."

Okay, now what do we do?
Quote Reply
Re: Twitch in my swim stroke [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bahaha i'm taking you all down with me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try cupping your hand a little bit. This will relax you fingers a bit and makes it actually more difficult to do the mork from ork thing.

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a girlfriend and rest the arm a while.....
Quote Reply
Re: Twitch in my swim stroke [Ready2run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.. or switch arms...

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply