Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I just cannot find a saddle I can stand [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
Quote:
Most fit studios I’ve been to don’t just have those sizes to try

If you find yourself in a fit studio that doesn't have a fit bike with adjustable cranks that go well into the 140 range, you are in the wrong fit studio.
We're well past the point where there is any excuse at all for fitters being unable to accommodate this need.

I had a Kickr bike which I believe went down to 145mm. If I was running a fit studio that machine would be my first investment!!!
Quote Reply
Re: I just cannot find a saddle I can stand [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I had a Kickr bike which I believe went down to 145mm. If I was running a fit studio that machine would be my first investment!!!

I really didn't want to have to replace the perfectly good adjustable cranks on my fit bike, but it's essentially malpractice for a bike fitter to be unable to explore solutions in that range. Has been for quite some time.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: I just cannot find a saddle I can stand [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
Saddle comfort is in largest part adjustment and positioning. Nose up rarely works with aero bars.

You have height, fore/aft, and tilt. Solve these three and your comfort will increase drastically. Someone who knows what they are doing should be able to drastically improve your comfort in short order.

Best wishes,
So I did my first full IM length training ride today. I did stop a couple times and try some different angles on the seat. My baseline was roughly +8* (nose up). I actually kind of like this angle because, as I said earlier, when I'm down on the aero bars I can rest my pelvic bone on the nose of the saddle and I get good support.

But with so many insisting nose up is a bad idea, I stopped after about 10-12 miles and lowered the nose. Went down to around +4* and rode that for another 10-12 miles. I liked that too. I wasn't able to support weight on my pelvic bone like before, but it was still a reasonably comfortable position. I stopped again and adjusted the nose to an approximately neutral position. Rode that 5-6 miles. Nope. I did not like that at all. I went back to the +4* and finished the remainder of the ride like that. I was certainly ready to get off the bike after 112 miles, but I was able to finish the ride and as I sit here now there is only very mild soreness in the area.
Quote Reply
Re: I just cannot find a saddle I can stand [pain_olympics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pain_olympics wrote:
Just wanted to say thank you for recognizing that the issues women face with saddles are different than those of men. I found your input was super valuable and offered a solution I'd not already tried and gave me hope. On the hunt for pressure mapping in my area!

To OP: my current best solution is the bisaddle Bonneville. I've been riding it for about 4000 miles so far (longest single-day ride being 9 hours) and it's already showing signs of wear, but it's the comfiest I've found. Worth exploring in tandem with the pressure mapping!

Related read:
https://www.bicycling.com/...-pain-women-surgery/
I am looking at that Bisaddle. I'm hoping to pick up a refurb but the Bonneville isn't in stock at the moment. In the meantime, I'm going to try one of those De Soto covers over my current Bontrager and see how that works for me.
Quote Reply
Re: I just cannot find a saddle I can stand [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
This worries me as the only bike fit I've had done was at Swanny's. I will say, however, the focus was not so much on the saddle height and position. I may give it a second go with the focus being comfort on the bike and see if there's something we can identify looking at it with that being the primary concern.

This doesn't make a lot of sense. Saddle and height and position is a huge component of a bike fit. Either you didn't understand what the fitter was doing, you were not giving them good feedback or you need to go to another place.

It also doesn't make a ton of sense for someone your height to be using ~170 mm cranks on a TT bike. Arguably the best cyclist in the world, Pogacar, who is 5'9" uses 165 mm cranks on both road and TT bike.
It takes a few weeks for your body to adapt to a new crank length. Have you tried comparing how well you run off the bike using shorter cranks?

Also, the number one position flaw on a TT bike is to raise the saddle to open up the hip angle. So lower the saddle is your first step.[/quote]Ya, I was not particularly impressed with Swanny's. I certainly didn't feel like I got good value for my money, hence why I tend to shy away from the LBS and do a lot of the work myself.

And the cranks on the Shiv are 165mm. On my Ridley, they're 150. The Ridley came with 170 but I changed them out to the 150s but haven't been happy with them yet. And I've probably ridden that bike 200-300 miles with them. Just because of my natural cadence, I think 160-165mm is really kind of a sweet spot for me.

As for saddle height, I've tried lower but if I go much lower than where I am now, I start to flair out my knees at the top of the crank so I don't get interference.
Quote Reply
Re: I just cannot find a saddle I can stand [Hurrikate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hurrikate wrote:
I would recommend finding a saddle with a cutout and a dip in the middle (helped me a ton) because it can give you a way to perch on your public bone. I had a ton of comfort issues until I did that.

2 options: ISMs and SMP (I’m currently on the SMP t2 and have had 0 issues).

It was an adventure for me to find something that worked but, honestly, it is worth trying a bunch of saddles (eBay is your friend here).

Few other thinks that helped me:
- figure out how much padding you need in your shorts (I found that less was better because the chamois wouldn’t bunch up)
- 2 layers of chamois butter: first layer of the ultra, then the regular.
- finding the right crank length so that my hips would be more stable and I wouldn’t move around as much on the saddle (I’m 5’4, ride a 160 but am debating going to a 155)
- find the spot on your saddle that is comfortable and fit to that. I have had fitters move the saddle like a millimeter out of place and told them no because I wasn’t fully in the perch
- once you find a saddle that works, buy 2 of them so you have a backup ready in case your main one has an issue (it happens)

Ultimately, it’s hard to be comfortable on a tt bike as a female with an outie. Guys don’t always get that.

You can get there though!
Yes, we do have different requirements. But we also have some options they don't. I think if someone truly designed a saddle just for women, the nose would flair out and up with lots of padding so we could rest the pubic bone on it.
Quote Reply
Re: I just cannot find a saddle I can stand [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
You should test with 145mm and 150mm cranks.
I put 150s in my Ridley. I really don't like them. I'm always hunting for the right gear. I'm more of a grinder than a spinner so the shorter cranks take away some of that leverage that I naturally use. I find that I'm in a gear for a given speed, but I can't put any power into it, so I shift to a lower gear. Now I'm spinning faster than what is comfortable and I can't maintain my pace. So I shift up, no power, shift down, spin too fast, shift up, no power, etc, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: I just cannot find a saddle I can stand [Barry S.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barry S. wrote:
not sure if it got lost in all the equipment suggestions, but have you ever looked into the problem being you and not your gear. Pelvic floor issues can be a problem, especially for women, that might make it hard to find any saddle that will work. A doc or good physical therapist would be able to help you identify an issue. A little research about your pain issues might give an idea if your symptoms match those related to a pelvic floor problem. Not sure if a fitter can chime in on their experience with clients dealing with this rarely thought of ailment when nothing seems to work.

Just my $0.02
I did see your post earlier but chose not to comment at the time. It's a valid consideration, but I don't have any of the typical symptoms. I suppose the next time I see my PCP it wouldn't hurt to mention it though, just to have an assessment. I've never had children but I am on the wrong side of 50 so who knows what's working correctly and what isn't?
Quote Reply
Re: I just cannot find a saddle I can stand [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
Quote:

Most fit studios I’ve been to don’t just have those sizes to try

If you find yourself in a fit studio that doesn't have a fit bike with adjustable cranks that go well into the 140 range, you are in the wrong fit studio.
We're well past the point where there is any excuse at all for fitters being unable to accommodate this need.
Ya, I think the fit apparatus at Swanny's only goes down to 155. There was a lot to be desired there.

I think part of the problem is that I'm pretty resilient and I need to be on the bike and in position for at least 15-20 minutes to get a good feel for what's going on. I can accommodate some really weird geometry for 5-10 minutes without really noticing it. I don't think I'm all that weird though. I'll bet most people here could do the same.
Quote Reply
Re: I just cannot find a saddle I can stand [VegasJen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not post a video of your current fit here?

Also, I can’t past this notion that short cranks you spin too fast….shift down one gear then. As far as can find a proper gear either too fast or too slow, what cassette are you using? I can see this on a 1x with a gravel cassette but can’t understand on a road set up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I certainly don't have any first hand experience here, but my wife is 5'2" and could never get comfortable on any of her bikes. I finally bought into the "short crank" thing and went to 165s (I'm 6'3") and love it. I put 145s on her road bike after a knee surgery and now she requires them on every bike she has.

To be fair, she has put a ton more miles on her bikes after the surgery than before, but she is a huge proponent of shorty cranks and it's a relatively cheap and simple swap.
Quote Reply
Re: I just cannot find a saddle I can stand [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pwraddr wrote:
Why not post a video of your current fit here?

Also, I can’t past this notion that short cranks you spin too fast….shift down one gear then. As far as can find a proper gear either too fast or too slow, what cassette are you using? I can see this on a 1x with a gravel cassette but can’t understand on a road set up.
I suppose it could be the chain rings too. The old crank set up had 53/39, this new one has 50/34 (I think it's 34). I'm not for sure on the cassette though. I have a couple different wheels with slightly different cassettes for different courses. Not sure which one is on there right now. I'll take a look tomorrow.

If I can figure out how to post a video, I might do that. Do you remember like 15 or 20 years ago being stuck behind that old lady writing checks at the grocery store? Ya, well, when it comes to technology, that's me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VegasJen wrote:
I think part of the problem is that I'm pretty resilient and I need to be on the bike and in position for at least 15-20 minutes to get a good feel for what's going on. I can accommodate some really weird geometry for 5-10 minutes without really noticing it. I don't think I'm all that weird though. I'll bet most people here could do the same.

That's the biggest problem with bike fits. The fitter gets you to hop on, so how does that feel 'yeah not bad'... Great my work here is done, that will be $$$ thanks.

The problem of course is what feels great for 5,10, 30 mins, hell even 2 hours can be excruciating after 3+ hours..
Quote Reply
Re: I just cannot find a saddle I can stand [lastlap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing to keep in mind about long IM distance/duration rides.

The wattage for most of us is "so low" that we end up with waaaay too much weight on the saddle because of low crank force. So inherently no matter what all fit you do, it becomes uncomfortable at low wattage versus at 1 hrs effort. Also the pain cues in the body are from "everything else" at 1 hrs duration, not from saddle. At IM effort there is no pain from working muscles since the effort is low, so you notice stupid things like saddle, neck, eye strain etc etc.

My entire view on this is that I won't ride my TT bike more than 4 hrs and if I do it, that's going to be at close to half IM race pace with some short bouts of threshold work too.

If I am going to ride for IM duration, I just putter around on my road bike which is designed for endless hours of "comfort". TT bike is for TTing hard. Don't expect road bike comfort at low intensity riding on the TT bike at IM effort.

The day of the IM just suck up the discomfort in the final few hours. You know you are going to get out of that position and celebrate never wanting to sit on a TT bike again by running a marathon anyway....and then 1 day after crossing the finish line, you sign up for another IM and repeat the stupidity all over again.

To some degree there is no real holy grail here. Get a reasonable fit, with a reasonable saddle with a reasonable position that you can hold for 180 km and just deal with it. TT bikes are meant to be ridden hard and most of us ride IM's too slow to not have discomfort at some point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you checked out this website?https://www.bikeseatguru.com/bike-seat-test.html
I used to get numb every ride then switched to a SMP and that is gone. Weird looking saddle, but worked great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barry at Cyclologic was mentioned in this thread, so I thought I'd chime in as I was just fit by him and had a great experience. I was fit at the end of March, ordered a Quintana Roo set exactly to his output, and then I went in a few days ago with the bike to finalize/tweak and swap to my preferred saddle. One detail: I don't have any particular issues that bother me, and I think I'm fairly adaptive or at least not picky about things. Some things that I really liked working with Barry:
  • He started me on the saddle that he thought would have the best chance of success based on his experience with many fits (ISM PN3.1 40). I liked this saddle a lot, so we didn't try others.
  • He was conscious of not spending unnecessary money and of the overall riding experience I would end up with. For example, he recommended we stick with the Shimano 160mm unless I really needed shorter, as the Rotor cranks are a significant upcharge and he doesn't feel that they shift as nicely on 12 speed Shimano as the stock Ultegra that the bike came with. I was happy with 160mm, so this wasn't an issue for me.
  • He asked how I felt every step of the way. This is where I'm probably not the best customer because a lot is perfectly fine for me, and I don't have the most detailed feedback. Still, I appreciate his approach.
  • Lastly, going forward after the fit he suggested some exercises to ask a PT about and gave me a couple fit adjustment suggestions if I find discomfort as I ride longer. For example, widening the arm cups one position if the outsides of my shoulders are aching.

I'll agree with a lot of the commentary here - given the things you've tried or are thinking of trying, it seems like a fit where you can try lots of saddles and crank lengths would be great. Even better if that person has experience to help guide you to solutions. It's a bit of money ($400 in my case) but you can easily spend more than that trying one saddle and crank that don't work out! Good luck with your fit, and good luck at Ironman AZ this fall!
Quote Reply
Re: I just cannot find a saddle I can stand [jtplaysdrums] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all that contributed to this thread. I'm still playing with my set up and hope to get it dialed in before the heat of the summer. Last thing I want to do is be playing with my set up all the way to race day. But if it comes down to it, I know I can do 112 miles on the bike, and it's only one day of pain. The title lasts a lifetime.
Quote Reply

Prev Next