Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [WhittleFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WhittleFit wrote:
Maybe Merida had a big say in it, as they're desperate to have their bike win Unbound?

That’d be my guess, doesn’t seem like good prep for the Tour.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
WhittleFit wrote:
Maybe Merida had a big say in it, as they're desperate to have their bike win Unbound?

I do remember that last year Mohoric said Merida were keen for someone to do the Gravel Worlds and do well there, hence the reason he did that race.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
I’m picking Beers for the win, his engine is HUGE. His main issue will be fueling enough. He and Keegan have been training together recently so I assume they will work together.

Yeah Beers is a monster, his FTP must be absolutely massive. Another guy who if he can put it all together should be able to win this.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terpstra dropped less than 100 miles in.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [WhittleFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WhittleFit wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:
WhittleFit wrote:

I do remember that last year Mohoric said Merida were keen for someone to do the Gravel Worlds and do well there, hence the reason he did that race.

Looks like Matej may have dropped from the lead group.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [likes_bikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where do you see that? The online results are notoriously unreliable fyi
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Where do you see that? The online results are notoriously unreliable fyi
It's mentioned on the Lifetime Insta page.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sofia Gomez Villafane (red hot favourite) suddenly dropped back 5mins, guessing she had a mechanical or puncture.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:
trail wrote:
fredericknorton wrote:
Unbound

I like all our "just hanging with bros and having beers" domestic quasi-pros in gravel, but a part of me wants to see Mohoric just shred the field in this one. GVA sentimental second pick.

There's no doubt that Mohoric has the engine, and one would assume the pedigree, given his WC status, but... in his recent appearance on the King of the Ride podcast, he admits that he almost never rides a gravel bike, rides a mtb poorly, and as of the date of the recording, still didn't know how tire plugs work. Even the slightest miscalculation on his tire setup could see him spending a significant amount of time on the side of the road.

I'm putting my money on D Johnson. He's due a big win.

Mechanicals took Mohoric out of the main group. Nice info! You can't make up for experience here these days.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [likes_bikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Broken rim and sidewall tear for him, bummer. But doesn’t seem too disappointed; clearly they brought the “spirit of gravel” with them. https://www.instagram.com/...MXc1ZmgzbWVrOW85Ng==
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Jun 1, 24 11:21
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Mudge wrote:
Even the slightest miscalculation on his tire setup could see him spending a significant amount of time on the side of the road.

Yeah, I just listened to Alex Howes on the Escape Collective tech podcast describing his tire nightmare at least year's Unbound. Described going through something like 9 CO2s. Alex went through a respectable amount of research for this year's, ending up with tires that significantly favor puncture resistance over fast rolling, and also using MTB inserts to be able to run really low pressure without risking a lot of rim strikes. And he's running near-MTB tire width - hopes to go 50mm in front.

Also said he's going to have something like 3 CO2s with injector heads already threaded, and 6-7 types of plugs, including *car* size (I don't think he was being sarcastic, but could have been because he was really good at dry sarcasm in the interview). It sounds like the lead pack is so savage now that saving the 4-5 seconds it takes to thread an injector is worthwhile.

I'm rooting for Alex now because he's a proper nerd.

A good call...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The section that Mohoric had the mechanicals in is called Little Egypt, and it’s nasty— chunky, sharp rocks, up and down and really hard to see the bad stuff in the wheels.

Chad Haga out front with Morton. GvA still in the main group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been there and it indeed sucks. F'd me properly.

I'm hoping for a shake up today even though I don't think this will stick based on history.
Last edited by: likes_bikes: Jun 1, 24 11:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m doing a short (70 miles) gravel race tomorrow, and watching this has me thinking of sleeping in and watching the Dauphine instead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm watching the girls, in sweatpants and I reminisce about form. Watts are okay; kg is getting Jan-like. Still sub 78 but going up I think. ;) I'm turning back in to a swimmer body.

Good luck from the bench!
Last edited by: likes_bikes: Jun 1, 24 11:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
I’m doing a short (70 miles) gravel race tomorrow, and watching this has me thinking of sleeping in and watching the Dauphine instead.

Spackler: "I'm going to attack at mile 30. Either way, I'm set for life."

Dauphine on replay is just as good. You'll be old soon.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreed w/McNutty: Dauphine is a sprint stage. get graveling. that typed - i did a 100 mile gravel race in McNulty's hood (western Loudoun County) once in 46 degree monsoon rain and once in mid 60s overcast. Decent weather makes the Dauphine replay a lot easier.
When I looked at Unbound splits - it looked like avg speed was 21.8 - to quote the wire's clay davis - SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEit - that's unreal.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [fredericknorton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Winners averaged 22 mph, which is hard to comprehend. Mega ride from Lachlan.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Dauphine on replay is just as good. You'll be old soon.

Soon? Think I already crossed that Rubicon. But, the race is only 15 minutes away and also in same locale as my fav bakery. So I have that going for me, which is nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Winners averaged 22 mph, which is hard to comprehend. Mega ride from Lachlan.

Stoked to see Lachlan get the win, although bummed for Keegan.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply

Prev Next