Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trump Hush Money Trial [LacticacidMCB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LacticacidMCB wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
RandMart wrote:
SDG wrote:
WE ( the folks in the forum) are largely wealthy and successful and insulated from much of what could be done.

I'm probably hanging out in the wrong forum, then, cause I'm certainly not

YMMV

While the triathlete crowd is generally more well off than the typical American, the idea that we are all independently wealthy and just pick up and move at any point is humorous.

I certainly can't just pick up and do something else, so if you're in the wrong forum, I am as well.

Most of us will not be impacted by Trump and would not be impacted by his cuts to social programs. My wife and I both have good jobs in the Pharma industry. I imagine a Trump presidency would be better for my bank account.

But I’d rather pay more in taxes and set my kids up for a better world.

This is the part SDG doesn't get. No one is so insulated that they won't be impacted by the stated plans if he gets elected. We aren't making shit up, they have told us their plans.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Hush Money Trial [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
We have a sentencing date (July 11) with the Republican National Convention four days later.

Assuming he will get some time as part of his sentence, does that begin immediately or is it deferred pending appeal?

If it is immediate, will the GOP really hold their nominating convention with their leader behind bars (or on house arrest)?

If he is unavailable to campaign in person does he do so via video from home?

if house arrest extends into the period of inauguration and beyond, how does he take office if elected?

In the event that he loses, it is almost 100% certain that he will face even more prison time if those other three cases proceed. His only chance to avoid that is election to office. If you thought you saw a desperate man on January 6, wait until his very last lifeline of freedom goes up in flames. His claims of election fraud and illegitimate election will be 1000x louder and his MAGAts will be in a fighting mood: how does the GOP respond to that when they’ve backed his claims before except in this scenario, recognize that he is no longer relevant in the party except for the inconvenient part about their constituents being cult loyalists?

I don’t know how this resolves peacefully or sanely, but it feels like a world of chaos is barreling down on us and the only people who can stop it are too craven to risk losing constituent support. They had a chance after January 6 and chose poorly. How will it be any different this time when the consequences are higher for everyone?

I have a hard time seeing a world in which trump doesn't get jail time.

Yes, the GOP will nominate a candidate that is incarcerated or will be incarcerated.

I'm pleased that we haven't seen the threats of violence come to fruition, yet. However, I worry that will not hold.

There are only a couple of paths to avoid chaos.

But, I don't see any of them very likely as the ones making poor choices made in the past show no sign of remorse for those decision. And I don't see trump fleeing in exile.

So, buckle up.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Hush Money Trial [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
LacticacidMCB wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
RandMart wrote:
SDG wrote:
WE ( the folks in the forum) are largely wealthy and successful and insulated from much of what could be done.

YMMV

While the triathlete crowd is generally more well off than the typical American, the idea that we are all independently wealthy and just pick up and move at any point is humorous.

I certainly can't just pick up and do something else, so if you're in the wrong forum, I am as well.

Most of us will not be impacted by Trump and would not be impacted by his cuts to social programs. My wife and I both have good jobs in the Pharma industry. I imagine a Trump presidency would be better for my bank account.

This is the part SDG doesn't get. No one is so insulated that they won't be impacted by the stated plans if he gets elected. We aren't making shit up, they have told us their plans.

He understands, he just doesn't care. FYIGM.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Hush Money Trial [geetee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Repubs project 2025 putting more inexperienced neanderthals in government is prescription for big failure. Bannon, Miller, Patel, etc. Hannity, Waters, are nutjobs. Even Musk and corporate captains live in some lala land where tax cuts do nothing except fatten their wallets, middle America be damned.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Hush Money Trial [tyrod1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly, look at how vulnerable Israel became during Netanyahu's tenure, placing cronies a sycophants in important positions of power....cue JPO's signature line.

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Hush Money Trial [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
LacticacidMCB wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
RandMart wrote:
SDG wrote:

YMMV

As an Old Punk (Leftist, in a way Hippies aspired to be, but louder and better Organized) I'm compelled to look out for those not as well set-up as I am - and I'm not without financial challenges - but I like to help

"Punk rock means exemplary manners to your fellow human beings" - Joe Strummer

The Evangelicals might want to recall a certain bit from St. Luke

Quote:
As Jesus looked up, he saw some rich people putting their gifts into the Temple money box. Then he saw a poor widow putting two small copper coins into the box. He said, “I tell you the truth, this poor widow gave more than all those rich people. They gave only what they did not need. This woman is very poor, but she gave all she had to live on.â€

Pretty much the exact OPPOSITE of "FYIGM" - more like "Fuck Me; Have Some Of Mine"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Hush Money Trial [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
There are only a couple of paths to avoid chaos.

Eventually, we will all end up talking to ourselves?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Hush Money Trial [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:
One of the many things I will never understand about trumps defense in the trial is that his defense was essentially that 1) he was doing the work of the trump company while president, 2) after telling people he wasn’t doing any work - everything in blind trust, 3) and no one cares that he openly lied about this, and will continue to do so if he is reelected.

His defense team seemed to suck. Rather than focusing on some rather narrow defense that trump wasn't fully aware of what was happening, others were acting on his behalf etc ( I think that was their only chance) they tried to make every witness a liar when the paper trial was very inconsistent with that being the case.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply

Prev Next