Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sore calves and Achilles
Quote | Reply
I'm slowly making it back to training after many years off due to covid. Things are going well, but I overdid it the past few weeks and messed up my calves.

I was running Monday night after a doing a lot of biking on the weekend - my calves were tight but not sore. A few km in and i noticed my left ankle was a bit sore but not too bad. After 7km my right ankle started hurting too, so i stopped. I've been pinching the back of my achilles over the past few weeks and noticing a slight pain - i've had tendonitis before so i'm always conscious of this. I immediately started doing heel drops to stretch out the tendons.

I think the heel drops were a bad idea. The next day my calves are in pain and my ankles are up and down in terms of throbbing. Today is Thursday and my calves still tender to the touch.

Any recommendations on what i should do? Can i bike with sore calves?

I have a sprint triathlon on Monday that i really want to do. I also am hoping to train some more this weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Sore calves and Achilles [blueQuintana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueQuintana wrote:
I'm slowly making it back to training after many years off due to covid. Things are going well, but I overdid it the past few weeks and messed up my calves.

I was running Monday night after a doing a lot of biking on the weekend - my calves were tight but not sore. A few km in and i noticed my left ankle was a bit sore but not too bad. After 7km my right ankle started hurting too, so i stopped. I've been pinching the back of my achilles over the past few weeks and noticing a slight pain - i've had tendonitis before so i'm always conscious of this. I immediately started doing heel drops to stretch out the tendons.

I think the heel drops were a bad idea. The next day my calves are in pain and my ankles are up and down in terms of throbbing. Today is Thursday and my calves still tender to the touch.

Any recommendations on what i should do? Can i bike with sore calves?

I have a sprint triathlon on Monday that i really want to do. I also am hoping to train some more this weekend.

You can bike with sore calves. I had a torn calf last year and could swim and bike, just couldn't tumble turn too aggressively.

Re sprint - it depends if your calves are sore from DOMS or actually got some damage are about to tear or already torn? You should be able to run with AT though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[quote blueQuintana
Any recommendations on what i should do? Can i bike with sore calves?[/quote]
yeah..see a doctor
You're going to hear 99 different ways things worked for others, you can have early Haglund's deformity or just tight calves
Thanks my suggestion from someone who had an achilles issue for YEARS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
insertional achilles pain (will be a little more to the side) or straight up and down?
if insertional, DO NOT do heel drops below horizontal. Do isometric calf stuff - calf raise and hold, progressing to calf raise and slowly lower

if heel drops are hurting it now, don't do them for a bit and give it a chance to settle down

IDK about biking but I think tri has a third sport? IDK though? ;-)

hope you feel better - keep us updated, ok?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply