Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Israel [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Jerusalem is a sticking point. The easiest solution would be to turn it into a city state under Papal Authority or Swiss control. That would make both sides upset with means it's a good compromise

I wonder if there would be any downside to adding a third religious faction into the mix.
Quote Reply
Re: Israel [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:
To be fair, it's not on the moderator, you've demonstrated yourself to be a cackling racist cu+t over and over again. Nothing the moderator can do to change that. There's not an upper limit on too many dead Muslim kids for islamaphobes like you and sdg, possibly not quite enough....

Fixed it for you.

To be fair, describing VP Harris as “cackling” is less about racism and more about sexism.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Israel [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reply to last post

https://www.tabletmag.com/...rael-succeeding-gaza

I probably don't disagree with what he suggests Israel are attempting to do. I disagree that the number of non combatants seems reasonable. Not sure where he got the 1:1 ratio
Quote Reply
Re: Israel [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“According to polling, 2% of Gazans support an Israeli-backed administration. The majority want Hamas back.”

That’s an awfully convenient poll. Sort of difficult for me to imagine that their popularity increased significantly over the course of this conflict.

And the plan to increase the border width by a full kilometer by leveling and preventing reconstruction on the Gaza side of the border sounds great in theory until you factor in that Gaza is one of the most densely populated strips of real estate on the planet. I haven’t done the math but it isn’t going to help alleviate that problem.

The only part of this that rings objectively true is the likelihood of COIN being a abject failure in Gaza. Edit: that, and the apparent indifference to what life looks like for Gazans the day after.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: May 28, 24 7:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting source. I think the 1:1 comes from the political bias of Tablet Mag, and its ownership…
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Reply to last post

I probably don't disagree with what he suggests Israel are attempting to do. I disagree that the number of non combatants seems reasonable. Not sure where he got the 1:1 ratio

I disagree with the notion that you can claim victory over failed U.S. counter insurgency efforts before combat operations are even complete. The U.S. efforts took months/years to devolve into morasses. Claiming "success" now for the IDF sounds a little bit like "Mission Accomplished!"

I could easily see a Gaza absent any governance, still hundreds of thousands of military-aged men with worse economic prospects than before the war, and money flowing from Iran and others returning to about-the-same-or-worse in pretty short order.

I also push back on how "failed" the U.S. efforts were. The article attempts to lower the bar for the IDF, claiming that success is eliminating the chance of a repeat of Oct. 7th and nothing more. Well by that metric...there has not only been no repeat of 9/11 at all, but there've been very few Islamist extremists attacks in the U.S. recently. According to Wikipedia, the last one was the knife attack on Salman Rushdie in 2022. Before that it was a NYC truck attack in 2017.
Last edited by: trail: May 28, 24 7:55
Quote Reply
Re: Israel [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:
Reply to last post

I disagree with the notion that you can claim victory over failed U.S. counter insurgency efforts before combat operations are even complete. The U.S. efforts took months/years to devolve into morasses. Claiming "success" now for the IDF sounds a little bit like "Mission Accomplished!"

I could easily see a Gaza absent any governance, still hundreds of thousands of military-aged men with worse economic prospects than before the war, and money flowing from Iran and others returning to about-the-same-or-worse in pretty short order.

I also push back on how "failed" the U.S. efforts were. The article attempts to lower the bar for the IDF, claiming that success is eliminating the chance of a repeat of Oct. 7th and nothing more. Well by that metric...there has not only been no repeat of 9/11 at all, but there've been very few Islamist extremists attacks in the U.S. recently. According to Wikipedia, the last one was the knife attack on Salman Rushdie in 2022. Before that it was a NYC truck attack in 2017.

I would lean towards this take as well. What Israel is doing to Gaza now is only going to foment more insurgency for years to come. It will leave an ungovernable mess, with a population that has even less hope for the future, no jobs, no mobility or sense of freedom or purpose. Young males will have only vengeance and hatred to motivate them.

And even if Hamas is reduced by 60%, it will rebuild again, and the endless cycle of violence will continue. Israel is not interested in a two state solution, and so at this point only massive UN intervention and recognition of a Palestinian state by many more countries is going to make any difference. Even then, turning the present situation around would be a near-impossible task. The upcoming US elections further complicate the situation because Biden can’t afford to play real hardball with Israel until after November.
Quote Reply
Re: Israel [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
“According to polling, 2% of Gazans support an Israeli-backed administration. The majority want Hamas back.”

That’s an awfully convenient poll. Sort of difficult for me to imagine that their popularity increased significantly over the course of this conflict.

And the plan to increase the border width by a full kilometer by leveling and preventing reconstruction on the Gaza side of the border sounds great in theory until you factor in that Gaza is one of the most densely populated strips of real estate on the planet. I haven’t done the math but it isn’t going to help alleviate that problem.

The only part of this that rings objectively true is the likelihood of COIN being a abject failure in Gaza. Edit: that, and the apparent indifference to what life looks like for Gazans the day after.

That poll has varied widely over time. Initially only around 38% of Gaza wanted Hamas back after the war. The problem is all the options suck if you are in Gaza. Hamas sucks and they get 50%. The PA sucks and they get 40%. The rest suck and are not going to happen. If there was a legit, non-corrupt, option I expect people would gravitate to it.

Bibi propped up Hamas because he wanted Gaza to be weak, now it is coming back to bite him. Ultimately a political path will be needed but there are zero legit options.
Quote Reply
Re: Israel [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I’m not mistaken the Gaza-Israel border is 50km long. How do you delete 50km of residential property in the world’s most overcrowded territory and expect it to work in the long run?

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Israel [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
If I’m not mistaken the Gaza-Israel border is 50km long. How do you delete 50km of residential property in the world’s most overcrowded territory and expect it to work in the long run?

60km, apparently. The existing border is some dystopian shit.

From Wikipedia,

Quote:
Overall, the first barrier is a barbed-wire fence without sensors. The second barrier codenamed Hoovers A is 20 meters off and consist of a road and a fence with sensors. These existed before 2005. A new element is a 70-150 meter wide buffer zone codenamed Hoovers B with motion sensors in the ground and surrounded by a new sensor-equipped fence with watchtowers every 2 kilometers, equipped with remote-control machine guns instead of soldiers, which could be targets of Palestinian snipers.[14]

In the future I could see the "DMZ" area patrolled by persistently swarming shot-spotting quad-rotor UAVs. Maybe even armed hovering UAVs. Just like in sci-fi movies.

I'm not enough of a physical security expert to know what another ~800m on top of the existing (what sounds like) ~200m zone buys.

My lay perspective suggests that unless you're moving the fences 800m inside Gaza that it might be better to have the additional buffer be on the Israel side of the fences. Because on the Israel side you could install and maintain sensors and possibly munitions like mines with less risk to the personnel doing the installation/maintenance and less equipment sabotage risk.

But I imagine it could be a political non-starter for Israel to "seize" land on the Israel-side of the fenceline....much more popular wtih hardliners to shift the 1950 border 1km inward.

Last edited by: trail: May 28, 24 10:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
To be fair, it's not on the moderator, you've demonstrated yourself to be a racist cu+t over and over again. Nothing the moderator can do to change that. There's not an upper limit on too many dead Muslim kids for islamaphobes like you and sdg, possibly not quite enough....

Biden got up early this morning. He was so incensed at me and the other overt racist turds that he called for a press conference. Got up in front of the press and directly declared Israel to be in the wrong and racist cu#ts for entering Rafah.

White House signals Rafah strike doesn’t cross ‘red line’ (msn.com)

word is the Hamas loving factions of the Dem party, which you are clearly a member of, have been appeased by this strong denunciation of Israel straight from Biden's mouth.

After the press conference he called Bibi and had a "come to Jesus" talk telling him an unprecedented 6 separate times: "don't, don't, don't, don't, don't, don't".

He explained that he was going to freeze their arms shipments as a result, and be just as tough as he was with aid to Iran following the Oct 6 invasion.

thank God for this non overt racist cu#t of a President.

Me, on the other hand, I have demonstrated my racism over and over again, which is quite a statement on the moderator of this forum who allows me to spew my overt racism again and again while only bringing it up once and then tacitly trying to work around said accusation rather than admit it was a bit over the line.

But pukes like you won't let that stop you.
Quote Reply
Re: Israel [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
axlsix3 wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:
To be fair, it's not on the moderator, you've demonstrated yourself to be a cackling racist cu+t over and over again. Nothing the moderator can do to change that. There's not an upper limit on too many dead Muslim kids for islamaphobes like you and sdg, possibly not quite enough....

Fixed it for you.

To be fair, describing VP Harris as “cackling” is less about racism and more about sexism.

right, because it has to be some kind of ism doesn't it? It can't just be descriptive of either the persons appearance or regular mannerisms, like say "Orange Cheeto".

And of course, in promising to nominate a qualified candidate for VP, while going out of his way to specify that said VP candidate MUST AND WILL be Black and a woman. And then nominating somebody based specifically on these criteria. Anyone, who makes any sort of reference to something that describes either the policies under which that person's qualifications fell (inclusive of the racial and gender qualifications), or their subsequent behavior, has to be either "racist" or "sexist" right?
Quote Reply
Re: Israel [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
US defines 'major' Rafah operation that would change Israel policy (msn.com)

Asked about reports that Israeli forces have moved into central Rafah, Kirby said "my understanding is, and I believe the Israelis have spoken to this, that they are moving along something called the Philadelphia corridor, which is on the outskirts of the town, not in the town proper."

Biden admin has now made it "perfectly clear" what they will and won't accept.

Some kind of operation with some kind of formation and some kind of large scale something or other will constitute a real move on Rahfa and will then require us to send a strongly worded "don't don't" come to Jesus email to somebody in Bibi's world that will be just enough to keep our administration fence sitting between the actual Democrats who we don't want to lose while continuing to please the Hamas loving "you are an islamaphobe overt racist c%nt" faction who can't figure out which side they are on.

Do you think the squishy's here trying so hard to still support Biden while backing Hamas and calling Bibi a war criminal will ever come to the conclusion that Biden, Kirby, Blinken and Co. are playing them for the suckers and fools they are?
Last edited by: Tylertri: May 28, 24 19:30
Quote Reply
Re: Israel [Tylertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

The temporary pier constructed off Gaza to bring humanitarian supplies to Palestinians has been damaged in heavy seas, holding up thousands of tons of aid in Cyprus.

I know you’ll be pleased to hear this so you can have a swipe at Biden (obviously it’s his fault), and because it further threatens the lives of some brown people.
Quote Reply

Prev Next