Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shoes to wear for track workouts
Quote | Reply
Of the following, which would perform better on a track? Does the extra bounce off super shoes help or not on a track?
Saucony Speed 2
Saucony Pro 3
Nike Vaporfly 2%
And would there be any gain using a track specific shoe?
I'm mainly doing 400's, I'm too slow for anything shorter. I don't think I need spikes?

NO
Quote Reply
Re: Shoes to wear for track workouts [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which of those do you like the best? wear that, or save that for racing and wear the second fav pair on the track.

I have plenty of spikes that some runners from the local U gave to me when they hit the transfer portal. If you're a W7.5-8.5 I'll send you a pair

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spikes will generally be faster for track running.

Yes, super shoes also work on the track.

In HS/College we always used spikes for track workouts...but we also had a locker room nearby to store them, and coaches/athletes to watch our gear we left by the track while we went on warmup/cooldown runs. After college I switched to using lightweight trainers for speedwork, saving the pure racing flats for raceday. This way I didn't need to swap shoes mid-workout, and was not putting the warmup/cooldown miles on the racing shoes.

If you look at all the pro triathletes who post their track sessions on youtube it's very rare to see spikes (don't think I ever have). For example, KB uses his racing supershoes that have lost some of their "pop" for track sessions.

Here's Gwen doing a track workout (you can see the shoes best around 13:00). I use her as an example since she's a former track racer, so is well acquainted with spikes.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't use a high stack shoe. This may be my bias from running track and xc back when
minimal was king, but I hate the feeling of the high stack squishy shoes around the corners.

Personally I'd use a low profile racing flat, but that's because I like how they feel and I think it's good for the feet to let them work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a very similar shoe arsenal. Don't use the Pros, too high stack height causes instability around the turns. And training in super shoes all the time can weaken ankles/calves and subsequently lead to pain/overuse of muscles higher up the chain like hip flexors for example, in my experience at least. I save the super shoes for longer/easier runs but mainly only races.

I like the Saucony Speeds for the track. Plenty fast with great stability. I also use Saucony Ride 16s at the track to work the cardio harder since the foam is not bouncy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't need spikes unless you're planning on racing some open running races 5k & under. Training in spikes can really beat up your legs. Important to practice for race day if you're going to race in them but otherwise not worth the injury risk.

Super shoes are fine for track workouts. They'll help with recovery. I wouldn't do every workout in them but it's ok to do a lot of your workouts in them. Most people just like getting into something a little lighter for faster running. There are plenty of in between options like the Hoka Mach, Brooks Launch, Saucony Kinvara, etc. Those aren't carbon plated but feel better than the heavier shoes. If you're injury prone you can do workouts in regular trainers. Who cares if the splits are a little slower. You'll be faster on race day in some super shoes.

Would also add that nobody is too slow for reps under 400m. Always a place for 30s-60s reps in training. & then idk what you're training for but mainly doing 400s would burn me out at some point. Don't be afraid to work in some longer reps.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoes to wear for track workouts [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, but I'm a size 14. Thanks to all for the insight. The city built a public use track a mile from my house. It's for school use and public use, a proper track that can host official meets.
I had never touched a track until a few months ago. I'm just using it for my speedwork, max race distance this year will be Olympic tri. But while doing this I'm curious to see if I can improve my 400 at 51 years old, just for fun, a little side thing.
Feedback like this really helps, I did feel like I run best on the Speed 2.

NO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're trying to improve your 400, don't do 400 repeats. IMO 200 repeats will help you build more speed.
Quote Reply