Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mar 2025 Cycling Holiday
Quote | Reply

Looking for some recommendations on places to go for a holiday with cycling.

Timeframe would be the month of March 2025.

Requirements

Nice warm weather (20C or 70F) range or warmer.
Safe, mainly offroad cycling (bike paths) on flattish or moderate terrain where you could go out for a couple of hours of riding each day on a commuter hybrid bike.
Beach area would be preferred.
Access to a good spot for some short running and swimming.
Reasonable air travel from Toronto.

Willing to travel to Europe, Southern US, Costa Rica, Belize or Panama in Central America, and the Caribbean if the cycling would work.

For comparison we have ridden the Loop trail in Tucson, the Pinellas Trail in Dunedin.

In Europe we have ridden in the Provence area and the Netherlands and Belgium. I think these spots would be too cold in March, but maybe something near the Mediterranean would work if there is a good cycling area.

Your input is greatly appreciated. Jim
Quote Reply
Re: Mar 2025 Cycling Holiday [jimruns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should ask the tri forum ;)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: May 15, 24 4:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a self guided trip from Lucca Italy to London and I went with a group on a Trek Travel bike trip through Croatia. I would think Croatia or Portugal would fit your needs. You could look at Trek Travels itinerary for those trips and see what time of year they hold them.

If they hold tours during that time, I would assume it's good riding weather for you too.
Last edited by: damn lucky: May 15, 24 5:18
Quote Reply
Re: Mar 2025 Cycling Holiday [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn lucky wrote:
... I went with a group on a Trek Travel bike trip through Croatia. I would think Croatia or Portugal would fit your needs.

Maybe on the coast, but Zagreb is a little cold in March. This year is was below freezing most nights and only 45-65 highs. Cracked 70 on the 29th and 30th and there was a tornado on the 31st. My wife's cousins were there in April and got snowed on!
https://www.wunderground.com/calendar/hr/velika-gorica/LDZA/date/2024-3

Split on the coast was mid 60s most March though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there are some nice extended bike paths around Malaga Spain coast
Quote Reply
Re: Mar 2025 Cycling Holiday [Trick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.. that looks like a possible spot.. I'll do more research on that area. Are the paths towards Torremolinos or the other way?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cyprus.

Airfare will likely require a connection through London or a European hub, but it otherwise checks all your boxes.

If you can stay beyond March, there's a GranFondo in April. Otherwise, there are tons of cycling opportunities and I think March weather would be ideal.

We were there on a vacation not too long ago (for a cycling event), and I got morning rides each day we were there. Would then connect with the wife for the rest of the day's activities. Perfect.

It's off the beaten path for North Americans, but lots of Europeans vacation there. For me, there was some sentimental value to going there. I spent some of my childhood years growing up in Cyprus. We found the houses I lived in, and even visited the middle school I attended, as well as other sentimental touches. In fact, it's where I learned to ride a bike as a kid - and discovered that joy of riding a bike.
Quote Reply