Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM 70.3 Gulf Coast AG bike split
Quote | Reply
Age grouper and collegiate triathlete Jeremy MacLean throws down a 1:57:51 split today at his 70.3 debut. Finishes in 3:47:38 to win by 21 minutes. I know it’s a fast bike course but that’s pretty impressive.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Gulf Coast AG bike split [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow that is crazy fast. Long/Sanders did a 1:52/1:54 last year in the pro race, just to give some perspective

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was his 19th birthday as well. I saw him coming back into town after the long out and back and there was NOBODY around him. I thought the turn around was just ahead... nope. He was riding over 30 mph and averaged 28.4 for the entire bike portion. Followed it up with a 1:17 run.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Gulf Coast AG bike split [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
It was his 19th birthday as well. I saw him coming back into town after the long out and back and there was NOBODY around him. I thought the turn around was just ahead... nope. He was riding over 30 mph and averaged 28.4 for the entire bike portion. Followed it up with a 1:17 run.

I really have no idea how to characterize that race. Rarely ever do you see an AG racer go under 4hrs. Not very often does a 18-24 group racer win. Almost never do you see a 15min win. It's pretty unheard of to win a 70.3 on debut. The conditions were not perfect (windy bike, altered swim course, run was perfect though). This kid pulled off all of the exceptions at once.

While I was on lap 1 of the run, I could hear the announcer near the finish line say, "he's got a 15 minute lead." He was literally, the talk of the race. Amazing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Age grouper and collegiate triathlete Jeremy MacLean throws down a 1:57:51 split today at his 70.3 debut. Finishes in 3:47:38 to win by 21 minutes. I know it’s a fast bike course but that’s pretty impressive.

We know this guy is definitely a ST lurker for sure. Congrats to Jeremy! Very impressive. One of the most impressive things I can remember seeing in a long time, actually had to do some digging because nobody just rides a 1:57:51. Looks like he is on tri team for Queens.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Gulf Coast AG bike split [Yes It Is] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes It Is wrote:
timr wrote:

I really have no idea how to characterize that race. Rarely ever do you see an AG racer go under 4hrs. Not very often does a 18-24 group racer win. Almost never do you see a 15min win. It's pretty unheard of to win a 70.3 on debut. The conditions were not perfect (windy bike, altered swim course, run was perfect though). This kid pulled off all of the exceptions at once.

While I was on lap 1 of the run, I could hear the announcer near the finish line say, "he's got a 15 minute lead." He was literally, the talk of the race. Amazing.

How did they alter the swim? Was it real rough or long to explain his slower, relative to the other legs, swim time?

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Yes It Is wrote:
timr wrote:

How did they alter the swim? Was it real rough or long to explain his slower, relative to the other legs, swim time?

Switched direction due to currents. It made T1 an extra 50m or so, but it was tougher to keep a straight line. Waves kicked up. Everyone had consistent slow/fast sections just due to the currents. Nothing huge, but just a detail.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Gulf Coast AG bike split [Yes It Is] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeremy did a great job Saturday as well as his Queen's College teammates. Their collegiate triathlon team is the best in the country.

My son placed (a distant) second in his AG behind Jeremy finishing 4:10 which was a 12 minute 1/2 distance PR for him.

Switching the swim direction last minute was genius and showed excellent race management. He had a great experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey!!
I was sent this thread by a friend and thought I can give some perspective on the such kind words in here :).
About the bike leg, I knew it would be fast and I have a fair amount of time trialling experience from the UK scene but never over 25 miles. My coach has a few data points that on a fast course with 320-330w and good CdA you can do 2 flat. For me the cycling speed comes from not only power but the skill of riding a bike fast. I am no expert at this but have refined my craft over time and I don't think you can ride close to 30mph avg without being a complete package rider IMO.
Race organiser made an excellent call changing the swim. I was doing well on the out lap but got dragged way off course on the way back in so something to work on.
And the run time was a complete surprise to me. My coach may disagree but for me nothing in training indicated that 1:17 was possible but that is the beauty of racing.
Absolutely crazy to me that 4th in the pro race last year seems totally achievable so time to step up to the big leagues!
Thanks for all the kind words on here, I have been totally overwhelmed with the fallout from this one <3.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Gulf Coast AG bike split [Riedinaustin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your son looked like he had a great race and congrats on the PR!
This sport rewards hard work and no doubt the times will continue to drop.
Hopefully I can meet him properly at a future race :)
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Gulf Coast AG bike split [Jeremy_Maclean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations. I look forward to following your progression in the sport.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeremy_Maclean wrote:
Hey!!
I was sent this thread by a friend and thought I can give some perspective on the such kind words in here :).
About the bike leg, I knew it would be fast and I have a fair amount of time trialling experience from the UK scene but never over 25 miles. My coach has a few data points that on a fast course with 320-330w and good CdA you can do 2 flat. For me the cycling speed comes from not only power but the skill of riding a bike fast. I am no expert at this but have refined my craft over time and I don't think you can ride close to 30mph avg without being a complete package rider IMO.
Race organiser made an excellent call changing the swim. I was doing well on the out lap but got dragged way off course on the way back in so something to work on.
And the run time was a complete surprise to me. My coach may disagree but for me nothing in training indicated that 1:17 was possible but that is the beauty of racing.
Absolutely crazy to me that 4th in the pro race last year seems totally achievable so time to step up to the big leagues!
Thanks for all the kind words on here, I have been totally overwhelmed with the fallout from this one <3.

Not sure if that was you but there was a younger swimmer with a yellow swim cap that had to be directed back on course by the boats because of the current. I thought it might be my son : ) The current was really pulling hard to the right towards the end!

Thanks for the encouragement and training tips! Wish the TT scene in the States was as big as the UK. Are you going to Taupo? Your performance was amazing to watch for all the spectators! Good luck to the rest of your season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was a green cap which I then lost.

I won't be taking an ag worlds slot as I am going to focus my attention on trying to get some pro results on the board later this summer :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race. You must've been bunny hopping those speed bumps and nasty road transitions to hold that speed. Good idea pre riding the tricky sections. I should've done that as well as I was overly cautious. What is your next triathlon?

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Gulf Coast AG bike split [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha.
I recced the publix parking lot then got to the top turn around and took a photo oof the entrance in disbelief that we had to ride down it and just turned around haha.
I'm doing british ag oly champs in 3 1/2 weeks after some rest to kickstart a 7ish week block to my first pro 70.3 at challenge turku.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeremy,

I have a great video of you quickly navigating to the left of the cones exiting the round-about as there were cars stopped in the bike lane. Quick thinking!

PM me your WhatsApp if you want me to send it to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of commuting to the pool and school will give you those instincts ;)
Quote Reply