Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Resume Hobbies and Personal Interests
Quote | Reply
Maybe it's a law firm thing, but most non-partner attorney resumes come in with hobbies and personal interests listed. We have the baby wanna be lawyers arriving soon and it's fun to read through their resumes.

So far I've seen the usual travel, sports (general fanatic and team or sport specific), foodie, games, reading, etc. Some rather interesting things have been: stoicism, credit card rewards, 19th century literature

Is this a thing in your field?

What would be on your list?

I would list: writing poetry, bourbon, football and hockey, travel, reading

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Resume Hobbies and Personal Interests [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think interests have been at the bottom of my CV forever.

They've varied over time but invariably include; the sport that shall not be named, BJJ, reading and travel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
Maybe it's a law firm thing, but most non-partner attorney resumes come in with hobbies and personal interests listed. We have the baby wanna be lawyers arriving soon and it's fun to read through their resumes.

So far I've seen the usual travel, sports (general fanatic and team or sport specific), foodie, games, reading, etc. Some rather interesting things have been: stoicism, credit card rewards, 19th century literature

I would have thought horses would have made your list also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a thing in construction.

If so, my hobbies would be mountain biking, overlanding, and family vacations
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought new hires worked 120 hours / week and had no outside life.
Quote Reply
Re: Resume Hobbies and Personal Interests [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fishgo wrote:
I thought new hires worked 120 hours / week and had no outside life.

Well, these are babies, still in law school, so they don't really know anything.

And yes, swede - horses should be on this for sure!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Resume Hobbies and Personal Interests [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
Not a thing in construction.

If so, my hobbies would be mountain biking, overlanding, and family vacations

Resumes in general are barely a thing in the construction industry.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:

I see it once in a while, normally on a resume for an internship or a starter position out of high school or college - an applicant with essentially no prior related work experience. It is bad form if I see it on anyone else's resume. I won't automatically toss it in the circular file, but I won't pay any attention to it, or address it in an interview. I don't really care what you do after hours.

The rule of thumb in manufacturing is don't go back more than 10 year, 1 page, or include anything that doesn't directly relate to the position you are applying for. I would think that holds for most industries.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:

I thought that went away a long time ago. I don't think it's been on my resume since the 80s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
credit card rewards

ha! That's awesome!

This isn't a thing in my field.

I would list: ... that other forum thing..., reading, creative writing, helping at my friend's ice cream shop, the Lady Tay

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Resume Hobbies and Personal Interests [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
ironclm wrote:

I thought that went away a long time ago. I don't think it's been on my resume since the 80s.

If anyone wants to know about you outside of work, they'll Google you & see what comes up

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It can be useful, and therefore used by the candidate, to highlight a relevant skill not covered under more focussed sections of the resume.

It was a sectionI cut a while ago in the interests of trying to keep streamlined, and since replaced with industry specific qualifications, but I used to include the sports I take part in and any awards, such as international caps, to demonstrate team skills.

I would put money on your prospective interns not loving being called babies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Interesting. Per a career counselor friend, her advice was it's ok if relevant to the role or field. If not, then it should only be there to add a touch of personalization and pique interest. Often just listing a hometown, or college town, can do that and is "harmless".

Otherwise, her advice was to avoid controversial hobbies. And *anything* can be controversial from the reader's pov, and that you have no control over.

Cycling -- a negative if the reader is one of those "cyclists-should-get-off-the-road" types.
Auto racing -> maniac driver?
Beer making / wine connoisseur -> alcoholic or a snob?
Politics / Religion -> 'nuff said.

etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Resume Hobbies and Personal Interests [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:
Interesting. Per a career counselor friend, her advice was it's ok if relevant to the role or field. If not, then it should only be there to add a touch of personalization and pique interest. Often just listing a hometown, or college town, can do that and is "harmless".

Otherwise, her advice was to avoid controversial hobbies. And *anything* can be controversial from the reader's pov, and that you have no control over.

Cycling -- a negative if the reader is one of those "cyclists-should-get-off-the-road" types.
Auto racing -> maniac driver?
Beer making / wine connoisseur -> alcoholic or a snob?
Politics / Religion -> 'nuff said.

etc.

I’d add that for a younger person — like the law students Ironclm was discussing— some hobbies are just evidence that you grew up in an affluent family.

I don’t think I ever had hobbies/interests on my resume. For every interviewer who thinks that rock climbing shows an adventurous spirit, there will be another who thinks it shows recklessness or lengthy absence from the office.
Quote Reply