Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Who’s better? 70s CCCP hockey team, or 1992 Dream Team? [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
RandMart wrote:
sosayusall wrote:
The dream team had a prime jordan, pippen, robinson, barkley, ewing, malone, stockton + a washed up bird and johnson.

The dream team was somewhat weak at the SF position.

Because MJ chose the team LOL

Yeah, this guy is still pissed.

Kinda justified
Quote Reply
Re: Who’s better? 70s CCCP hockey team, or 1992 Dream Team? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
sosayusall wrote:
On ice? the CCCP team.

I think most of the olympic hockey teams of this era were not the best players in the world, but REALLY great players that were paid via corporations in Russia. These guys were studs, but I think there was still the NHL that had the best players - but these guys couldnt play.

The dream team had a prime jordan, pippen, robinson, barkley, ewing, malone, stockton + a washed up bird and johnson.

An argument could be made the 2012 US team was better than the ‘92 team.

It can also be argued that North Korea is a workers paradise
Last edited by: windywave: May 13, 24 19:00
Quote Reply
Re: Who’s better? 70s CCCP hockey team, or 1992 Dream Team? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1987 team Canada. No team better than that one.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Who’s better? 70s CCCP hockey team, or 1992 Dream Team? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
1987 team Canada. No team better than that one.

Undefeated? Nope

Untied? Nope

Deluded? Yep
Quote Reply
Re: Who’s better? 70s CCCP hockey team, or 1992 Dream Team? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeff Gordon in 1998

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Who’s better? 70s CCCP hockey team, or 1992 Dream Team? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They horsed around for a bit then when it was time to get serious Gretzky and Lemieux took over.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Who’s better? 70s CCCP hockey team, or 1992 Dream Team? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
jeffa wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
The '92 Dream Team.

The Soviet team was beatable (see Lake Placid) at times. They lost the Worlds three times in the 70s. Lost the Summit Series with Canada in '72. They were extremely dominant but could be beat.

The '92 Dream Team was not beatable in 1992 under any circumstance.

I think you're right, but just to play devil's advocate.... the sample size for the Dream Team was pretty small. If they played more than that single Olympic tournament, it's very possible that they would have been upset from time to time be inferior teams.

It's also possible to be hit by lightning while on the way to cash in your Powerball winner

Yeah, but isn't that what they said about the odds of Team USA beating CCCP in 1980?
Quote Reply
Re: Who’s better? 70s CCCP hockey team, or 1992 Dream Team? [jeffa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffa wrote:
windywave wrote:
jeffa wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
The '92 Dream Team.

The Soviet team was beatable (see Lake Placid) at times. They lost the Worlds three times in the 70s. Lost the Summit Series with Canada in '72. They were extremely dominant but could be beat.

The '92 Dream Team was not beatable in 1992 under any circumstance.

I think you're right, but just to play devil's advocate.... the sample size for the Dream Team was pretty small. If they played more than that single Olympic tournament, it's very possible that they would have been upset from time to time be inferior teams.

It's also possible to be hit by lightning while on the way to cash in your Powerball winner

Yeah, but isn't that what they said about the odds of Team USA beating CCCP in 1980?

The Russians were not the dream team
Quote Reply
Re: Who’s better? 70s CCCP hockey team, or 1992 Dream Team? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2014 Canadian Olympic team was dominant as well.

Did not lose a game. Gave up only 3 goals in 6 games. Shut out the US in the semis and Sweden in the Gold medal game. That was a good team.
Quote Reply
Re: Who’s better? 70s CCCP hockey team, or 1992 Dream Team? [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's about as likely as the Globetrotters losing to the Generals
---

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Who’s better? 70s CCCP hockey team, or 1992 Dream Team? [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:
On ice? the CCCP team.

I think most of the olympic hockey teams of this era were not the best players in the world, but REALLY great players that were paid via corporations in Russia. These guys were studs, but I think there was still the NHL that had the best players - but these guys couldnt play.

You think Pippen was weak?

Or are you comparing him to a Larry Bid who was 8 years younger, or a prime LeBron James? Those two were definitely better, but Pippen was probably still better than every other non-USA player in the world at the time.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pippen, Mullin, and even an injured/old Bird were the three best small forwards on the planet in 1992. Unless we want to count Kukoc as a SF at that time but even then I would've taken an injury free Bird.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: May 15, 24 7:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Relatively weak. Pippen was their only small forward who could play at that time (bird was washed up), Mullins was good as well but not up to the others.

PG: magic, Stockton,
Off guard: Jordan, Clyde
Sf: pippen, Mullins, bird
Pf: Malone, Barkley,
Center: Ewing, Robinson,

Jordan could slide into the sf. Magic was also pretty washed up at the time, but jordan/clyde could slide into the PG spot if needed.
Last edited by: sosayusall: May 15, 24 7:47
Quote Reply
Re: Who’s better? 70s CCCP hockey team, or 1992 Dream Team? [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:
Relatively weak. Pippen was their only small forward who could play at that time (bird was washed up), Mullins was good as well but not up to the others.

PG: magic, Stockton,
Off guard: Jordan, Clyde
Sf: pippen, Mullins, bird
Pf: Malone, Barkley,
Center: Ewing, Robinson,

Jordan/magic could slide into the sf.

That's great but name a better non-American SF in 1992 that was better than Pippen, Mullin, or Bird. I just threw out the only other possible name. Maybe the position was "weak" relative to the 1, 2, 4, and 5 positions but if your SFs are still better than every other player in the world it's not "weak."

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Who’s better? 70s CCCP hockey team, or 1992 Dream Team? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Maybe the position was "weak" relative to the 1, 2, 4, and 5 positions

That is my only point. Dominque was prob better than Mullins but he was hurt.

Regarding the '12 team, if you combine the teams based on time of playing I think the 92 team would have had - jordan, stockton, pippen, malone, barkley, robinson, clyde. the 12 team would have had - paul (beating out a washed up johnson), kobe, james, Anthony (for euro ball), durant.

depth chart:
1. Paul, Stockton.
2. Jordan, Kobe, clyde
3. James, Pippen, Durant,
4. Malone, Barkley, Anthony.
5. Robinson, Ewing.

If you are taking overall careers. You have the dream team, but take off laetener, clyde, and mullins, stockton, and replace them with james, durant, kobe, paul,
Last edited by: sosayusall: May 15, 24 10:02
Quote Reply

Prev Next