Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Parent in Assisted Living
Quote | Reply
So, I had to move my mother into assisted living. It's a very nice place and I think it is the best for her. They are not restricted to the facility and can still go out with friends if they choose or to the grocery store, etc. So the question for those who have a parent or parents in assisted living. They recommend not leaving cash, credit cards or checkbook due to risk of theft with so many people going in and out. So what do you recommend to provide some money for your parent if they want to go out or shop at the grocery store?

This is new. Mother is mad, but she can't take care of herself and after the second hospital stay in the last few months, it was time. Neither my sister or I live there, so it is hard and I just want to try to make it as simple as possible. Also please note, she is not technical, so doing stuff on her phone or a computer is out.

Think old school.
Quote Reply
Re: Parent in Assisted Living [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about a bank account with a card and just keep a low amount of money and refill as needed.
Quote Reply
Re: Parent in Assisted Living [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or a Visa gift card.
Quote Reply
Re: Parent in Assisted Living [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
How about a bank account with a card and just keep a low amount of money and refill as needed.

I'm considering that. Assuming the bank can set it up with a low balance and no monthly fees. Most banks require a minimum balance...
Quote Reply
Re: Parent in Assisted Living [Barks&Purrs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barks&Purrs wrote:
Or a Visa gift card.

I was looking into Visas that are rechargable. But the seem to have fees. And I'm not sure if it's worth the fees. (kind of a scam). We don't live in the same state, so it would be good to be able to add money remotely...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We bought a cheap lockbox to store in my parents’ closet where they kept their valuables and wallets. It certainly wasn’t a foolproof system, but they kept the key on their key ring and they never had anything stolen. I kept their checkbook at my house and we monitored their bank accounts and usually just left them a couple hundred bucks in cash to have on hand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m not sure what the fees are. Fees are a pain.

If you can provide the necessities, maybe she won’t need to shop much? An alternative is to steer her toward other forms of entertainment— ones that you purchase online for her (tours of local gardens or art classes/events) or free activities. In my area, we have good senior services and community education classes. Even public libraries offer entertainment and events. Maybe this is an option for your mom?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's wrong with a credit card? You can monitor all spending, set alerts, set max capacity low, etc... and if it gets stolen and used, credit card company can just reverse the charges as fraud, you have insurance. Keep it simple, don't overthink it.

No cash, debit or credit cards seems extreme advice from them. Ask them what options they suggest instead? Let me guess, they don't have any reasonable alternatives. They probably say this to limit their own liability and reduce their headaches of getting blamed and sued for their own staff stealing shit.
Last edited by: Endo: May 12, 24 15:51
Quote Reply
Re: Parent in Assisted Living [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
What's wrong with a credit card? You can monitor all spending, set alerts, set max capacity low, etc... and if it gets stolen and used, credit card company can just reverse the charges as fraud, you have insurance. Keep it simple, don't overthink it.

No cash, debit or credit cards seems extreme advice from them. Ask them what options they suggest instead? Let me guess, they don't have any reasonable alternatives. They probably say this to limit their own liability and reduce their headaches of getting blamed and sued for their own staff stealing shit.

I hear what you are saying, but dealing with an elderly parent who loses things continuously, I can understand the concern from the facility, and don't necessarily disagree. My mother was there 2 days and claimed someone stole her purse. It was next to her walker next to her night stand. I did look at her credit card as I have access to her bank and cards. While they do state they will offer protection for charges that she doesn't make, I don't see a way to really limit individual purchases. I'll go by and see if we can just lower her credit limit, but even that could pose problems.

I think the best solution would be a fillable card. So I could load it with a couple hundred dollars. But if she needed it for something larger like new hearing aids, I could load a large amount to cover the costs. I just hate the idea of paying fees per charge....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:

I'm considering that. Assuming the bank can set it up with a low balance and no monthly fees. Most banks require a minimum balance...

Looks at Schwab - you might need to open a brokerage account, but iirc, you don't actually need anything in the account.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I just hate the idea of paying fees per charge....

In the grand scheme of things, would it be better to suck it up and pay the fees or deny your mother the opportunity to have a tiny bit of freedom with a low limit charge card? This is already going to be a big life change for her.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Parent in Assisted Living [andrewjshults] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andrewjshults wrote:
velocomp wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:

Looks at Schwab - you might need to open a brokerage account, but iirc, you don't actually need anything in the account.

My kids had this set up for years with nothing in the brokerage account and an ATM card for the checking account. No fees.
Quote Reply
Re: Parent in Assisted Living [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
Quote:

In the grand scheme of things, would it be better to suck it up and pay the fees or deny your mother the opportunity to have a tiny bit of freedom with a low limit charge card? This is already going to be a big life change for her.

This is good advice. Though annoying, the fees won’t be that big during the remaining time in which she is making purchases on her own.
Quote Reply
Re: Parent in Assisted Living [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:
ironclm wrote:
Quote:

This is good advice. Though annoying, the fees won’t be that big during the remaining time in which she is making purchases on her own.

Yes, you and ironclm are smart. I need to suck it up. I'm probably only looking at 6-12 months. And the frequency that she will be shopping is minimal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When my dad was in a care home we set up an account for him and kept a low amount of money in it. My sister and I had power of attorney, but that was a pain for banking so we got joint access so we could do transfers online.

He went for coffee with his buddies on Saturdays and being able to buy his own coffee, and treat his buddies, was a small act of independence and normalcy for him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My mother in law has been in assisted living for years now. We moved her from Virginia to Kentucky then Texas and now to Kansas in different care homes so we could be within a few miles of her. Have you considered moving your mother to a home near you or your sister? I can't imagine my mother in law being far away from any of her kids.
Quote Reply
Re: Parent in Assisted Living [SWEDE63] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SWEDE63 wrote:
My mother in law has been in assisted living for years now. We moved her from Virginia to Kentucky then Texas and now to Kansas in different care homes so we could be within a few miles of her. Have you considered moving your mother to a home near you or your sister? I can't imagine my mother in law being far away from any of her kids.

It has been offered many times. She is where her friends are. They have always lived where she is, so that isn't really an option. And there is no guarantee that my family will stay where we are. So....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a reloadable Visa debit card called Greenlight for my teenagers. It's $4.99 per month for both of them, and I can load money as needed, lock and unlock their cards from my app, and see all of their purchases. I think the convenience is worth $60/year. It's marketed for teenagers, so I'm not sure if you can technically use it for senior citizens.
Quote Reply
Re: Parent in Assisted Living [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cholla wrote:
I use a reloadable Visa debit card called Greenlight for my teenagers. It's $4.99 per month for both of them, and I can load money as needed, lock and unlock their cards from my app, and see all of their purchases. I think the convenience is worth $60/year. It's marketed for teenagers, so I'm not sure if you can technically use it for senior citizens.

Thanks. Following the feedback here, I did purchase a reloadable Visa card through Netspend (same thing as Greenlight). And am waiting for the card to reach my mother. It looks like a good deal and should work for us.

Thank you all who responded.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assume she has a cell phone? Get her an Apple Phone and set up Apple Pay with Face ID enabled.

It won't work unless she is looking at the screen, and it is just a double click of a side button away at all times, including when the phone is locked. There are still a few merchants that don't have it (Home Depot and Walmart) but it is mostly universally accepted.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Parent in Assisted Living [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
I assume she has a cell phone? Get her an Apple Phone and set up Apple Pay with Face ID enabled.

It won't work unless she is looking at the screen, and it is just a double click of a side button away at all times, including when the phone is locked. There are still a few merchants that don't have it (Home Depot and Walmart) but it is mostly universally accepted.

I think you overestimate the technological abilities of some elderly people. My 83 year old mother has had a smart phone for at least 5 years and still has trouble answering it because it "doesn't respond to her fingers". She cannot use the camera, certainly can't text a picture. She has figured out emojis.

"I keep hoping for you to use your superior intellect to be less insufferable. Sadly, you continue to disappoint." - gofigure
Quote Reply
Re: Parent in Assisted Living [sonofdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sonofdad wrote:
AutomaticJack wrote:

I think you overestimate the technological abilities of some elderly people. My 83 year old mother has had a smart phone for at least 5 years and still has trouble answering it because it "doesn't respond to her fingers". She cannot use the camera, certainly can't text a picture. She has figured out emojis.

I'm not over or under estimating anything. I have an 86 year old MIL that uses Apple Pay like a pro. I also have a neighbor, who is in his 70's, that routinely takes several tries to unlock his car door with the fob.. Everyone is different. I was just making a suggestion. If she can get around on her own, go to the store, etc. as the OP said, I was guessing that she could handle a double click of a fairly large button on a well designed phone.

Or maybe not.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Parent in Assisted Living [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
sonofdad wrote:
AutomaticJack wrote:

I'm not over or under estimating anything. I have an 86 year old MIL that uses Apple Pay like a pro. I also have a neighbor, who is in his 70's, that routinely takes several tries to unlock his car door with the fob.. Everyone is different. I was just making a suggestion. If she can get around on her own, go to the store, etc. as the OP said, I was guessing that she could handle a double click of a fairly large button on a well designed phone.

Or maybe not.

Well, there is this from the OP..."Also please note, she is not technical, so doing stuff on her phone or a computer is out."

"I keep hoping for you to use your superior intellect to be less insufferable. Sadly, you continue to disappoint." - gofigure
Quote Reply