Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trump Hush Money Trail [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
It's quite possible that testifying is a terrible idea, and losing the case will severely hurt the lawyer's reputation and future business prospects. That would be unfortunate, but that's life as a lawyer.

It's unfortunate, but it's also offset by the guaranteed income from the book and/or books you will be writing and the speaking engagements that will follow.

I guess I messed up. Instead of going for the loss and a book deal, I tried to win and got no book deal. Too late for a do-over?

You must have missed the “Monetizing Your Embarrassing Client Experiences 101” class at law school

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Hush Money Trail [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:
OK, we've heard all the evidence and all that remains are the closing arguments.
So...

PLACE YOUR BETS! PLACE YOUR BETS!

Guilty on all counts
Guilty on some counts
Not Guilty on all counts

Sum up your prognostication however you want, but what do you think is the outcome?

I'm going with guilty on some counts.

I think there's too much there on paper, texts, emails, phone logs, (especially Exhibit 35), etc., for him to completely skate on this.

Have the lawyers conferenced with the judges and decided on if the jury will be given the option to decide on the individual charges or is it all or nothing?

It is clear that Trump is guilty on the misdemeanors but the criminal campaign charges could be a bit of a stretch, I expect a hung jury on those.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Hush Money Trail [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
DieselPete wrote:
OK, we've heard all the evidence and all that remains are the closing arguments.
So...

PLACE YOUR BETS! PLACE YOUR BETS!

Guilty on all counts
Guilty on some counts
Not Guilty on all counts

Sum up your prognostication however you want, but what do you think is the outcome?

I'm going with guilty on some counts.

I think there's too much there on paper, texts, emails, phone logs, (especially Exhibit 35), etc., for him to completely skate on this.

Have the lawyers conferenced with the judges and decided on if the jury will be given the option to decide on the individual charges or is it all or nothing?

It is clear that Trump is guilty on the misdemeanors but the criminal campaign charges could be a bit of a stretch, I expect a hung jury on those.

Thanks. That’s an important question. I searched a bit and I can’t find anything indicating that they can find him guilty on some and not guilty on others. All of the “what if” articles address guilty, not guilty, directed verdict, an appeal… but not a “split.”

Sorry if I proposed a road that doesn’t exist.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Hush Money Trail [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Usually it’s a jury decision on each count in the indictment. But I don’t know NY state law.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: May 22, 24 4:49
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Hush Money Trail [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Usually it’s a jury decision on each count in the indictment. But I don’t know NY state law.

I have not seen the jury instructions or verdict form yet. As of yesterday, the judge was still working on them.

The indictment has 34 counts, one for each business record. But, there are both misdemeanor and felony charges for each business record, so potentially 68 outcomes.

But, rather than repeat everything 68 times, the form might ask whether they find the elements of a misdemeanor (and separately for a felony) and, if yes, have the jury identity which of the 34 records that involves.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Hush Money Trail [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

I have not seen the jury instructions or verdict form yet. As of yesterday, the judge was still working on them.

The indictment has 34 counts, one for each business record. But, there are both misdemeanor and felony charges for each business record, so potentially 68 outcomes.

But, rather than repeat everything 68 times, the form might ask whether they find the elements of a misdemeanor (and separately for a felony) and, if yes, have the jury identity which of the 34 records that involves.

Would the statute of limitations questions be part of jury instructions?
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Hush Money Trail [LacticacidMCB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LacticacidMCB wrote:
ike wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Would the statute of limitations questions be part of jury instructions?

I don't think so. There is no obvious factual question specifically relating to SOL that the jury needs to decide. If the jury finds that there was no felony concealment, so the SOL is just the 2-years for a misdemeanor, that could have implications for any SOL defense (really, for appeal). But, that would follow from the jury's findings on the felony concealment issue, and would not require a separate instruction specifically about SOL issues.
Quote Reply

Prev Next