Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Climate change.. What have you done in your lifestyle to combat it [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:
synthetic wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:
I might be wrong. .

I think what irks me more is that beef is being targeted yet all other livestock just as equal strain on the enviroment. Not like going all plant based is better - the farms/processing needed to grow crops for this processed stuff to mimic meat. One thinks energy usage is down because freezers are not used for beef...but then why are the beyond burgers placed there? They also use plastic wrapping

It’s not all equal. Beef is much worse. Tons of sources on this. Here is one.

https://ourworldindata.org/...oice-vs-eating-local

Tons of sources.. https://clear.ucdavis.edu/blog/bogus-burger-blame as I said before...lets extinct all cattle to solve the problem. India eats no meat yet they have higher pollution rates than USA ..
Quote Reply
Re: Climate change.. What have you done in your lifestyle to combat it [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
. Also chicken,fish, pork, pizza ( which can be meatless but requires cows ) and meatless pasta dishes, again usually with cheese, salads which generally have some type of meat as a meal and rice dishes generally the same. (Unless you're on Survivor) Plus milk. Are diary cows more green than beef cattle? It's ridiculous to target beef... It will always be a staple and if you penalize it through additional cost it will only hurt the public, particularly the less affluent and diminish their quality of life.
Quote Reply
Re: Climate change.. What have you done in your lifestyle to combat it [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
ike wrote:
synthetic wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:
I might be wrong. .

I think what irks me more is that beef is being targeted yet all other livestock just as equal strain on the enviroment. Not like going all plant based is better - the farms/processing needed to grow crops for this processed stuff to mimic meat. One thinks energy usage is down because freezers are not used for beef...but then why are the beyond burgers placed there? They also use plastic wrapping

It’s not all equal. Beef is much worse. Tons of sources on this. Here is one.

https://ourworldindata.org/...oice-vs-eating-local

Tons of sources.. https://clear.ucdavis.edu/blog/bogus-burger-blame as I said before...lets extinct all cattle to solve the problem. India eats no meat yet they have higher pollution rates than USA ..

Not sure how you think that article contradicts what I wrote. It acknowledges that animal ag is a major — though not the biggest — contributor to GHG emissions. It also is not a study of beef vs other food sources, which was the point I was making.

Climate debates are far too full of pointing at other sources: don’t worry about cattle, the real problem is coal or China or whatever. It is not an either/or. We should admit there are many sources, some of which are within our immediate control. To succeed we will need to make progress on many fronts. We can cut back on beef and fossil fuels. Indeed, we need to.
Quote Reply
Re: Climate change.. What have you done in your lifestyle to combat it [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
correlation != causation

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, I didnt realize that the US was still by far and away the single largest polluter in the world per capita. Thought that China had inched closer, but appears we are all out front by our lonely selves, many, many times worse than the evil China...

Very surprised at India and how little CO2 they produce, guess because it is mostly poor and just not enough resources to waste...
Quote Reply
Re: Climate change.. What have you done in your lifestyle to combat it [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Wow, I didnt realize that the US was still by far and away the single largest polluter in the world per capita. Thought that China had inched closer, but appears we are all out front by our lonely selves, many, many times worse than the evil China...

Very surprised at India and how little CO2 they produce, guess because it is mostly poor and just not enough resources to waste...

See post 28.
Quote Reply
Re: Climate change.. What have you done in your lifestyle to combat it [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
monty wrote:

See post 28.

There are lots of other countries that are high CO2 producer's.
What makes the US different is that SOOO much of our CO2 is related to over-consumpution.

For example:

China is a big country, they create a lot pollution from powering heavy industry. They heavy industry is there to make cheap sh#t. China then sells the cheap sh#t to USA.This helps them reduce their poverty.

Australia produces a lot of coal, natural gas, minerals, timber and beef - so that they can sell it to China or the USA. This allows them to maintain their pleasant middle class existence.

The USA creates a shit ton of CO2 simple so that people can drive a 100 miles to buy a "special" hamburger. Or heat and cool a massive ugly house.
The majority of pollution in the USA is created not for reasonable economic goals.
It is about over- consuming to the point of illness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
correlation != causation

Sorry, not following your point. The big GHG for cattle is methane. Your table is CO2.
Last edited by: ike: May 11, 24 15:11
Quote Reply
Re: Climate change.. What have you done in your lifestyle to combat it [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bike commuted a good amount (and fair distance, 15 miles one way) when I was a regular commuter. But this was somewhat about getting bike gainz as much as "climate."

Now I mostly work from home, but that's convenience, not really climate related.

We have the Nature Conservancy as a major recipient of our estate upon death. It could end up sizeable, and we have no children.

Always fuel efficient cars. I swore the I'd never buy an ICE car again, but did because when I really needed a solid 4WD/AWD, the only electric one I'd trust was Rivian, and they were way backordered at the time. So the *next* one will be an EV.

Was solar powered for decades. Not at the moment....and still running the numbers on if it makes sense given I'm backed up against the Sierra Nevada mountains with much less daily sunlight than before.

Sparse meat eater, excepting fish. Eat beef/pork/chicken maybe once every couple of weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Climate change.. What have you done in your lifestyle to combat it [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One might say I do a lot for the climate.

I bicycle commute.
I eat very little meat (especially commercial beef and ocean farmed fish).
I keep my electric bill less than $80/month year round.
I also have some land that is earmarked for conservation.
I use limited packaging.

But as trail said...

Most of the "green choices" I make, are not made for environmental reasons.

A human being is an animal. We like good health, fresh air, outdoor exercise, recreation, free time...

We don't like traffic jams, diabetes and heart disease, work stress, feeling inadequate (because we can never keep up with the Jone's- those f#ckers are actually broke).

My favorite lyrics from "This Land is your Land":

"While I was walking, I saw a sign there.
And on the sign, it said no trespassing
But on the other side, it didn't say nothing
That side was made for you and me "

The sign said "no trespassing."

But it might have said "Beef is what's for dinner." it might have had a picture of happy people in an SUV.
I didn't put the sign their.
I don't need some sucker telling me what it says.

On the other side, the sign says nothing. There's a forest, a sunset. A trail that leads to the river....
Quote Reply
Re: Climate change.. What have you done in your lifestyle to combat it [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
A comment by the village idiot, raised this issue and I wondered are their people out there, actively changing their lifestyle to combat climate change?

I always felt its a much bigger issue than what any one individual does, and more about making corporations and governments more supportive of making the changes.

Yes I own an EV, but it has Zero to do with being Green. It was cheaper, faster, and more economical to drive than any Ice vehicle I could buy at the time. Beyond that, I have looked at solar, but only because it might be cheaper than living on the grid, not cause of some climate thing. Oh I do have my electric company buy green energy. but again, thats only cause I get a credit on my electric bill so it saves me money.

Bear in mind I don't think it's solvable by individual action, but I and my spouse walk/bike to work and we don't have air conditioning, and we almost never eat beef or pork.

It doesn't make sense for me to install solar with my electric bill so low. I suppose if the summers get hot enough that I need A/C I'll do the full electrification then and go heat pump, solar, and induction cooktop.
Quote Reply
Re: Climate change.. What have you done in your lifestyle to combat it [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Avoiding using an energy intensive dryer for the clothes is certainly helpful but believing that drying clothes on a line somehow has an effect of cooling the Earth is a bit absurd.

I'm skeptical that there is any such thing as a dryer for clothes that is not "energy intensive." Unfortunately many people buy the marketing that says buying the latest green device is good for the environment. Somehow people are happy to give corporations money for "energy star" dryers instead of buying a clothes line. Similarly, people say "there is nothing individuals can do," in order to avoid simple things like hanging their clothes on the line. But anything that the government mandates will eventually be done by the people.

One simple government solution towards solving the climate crisis would be to outlaw clothes dryers. But if the government mandated drying clothes on a line, then many of the corporate donors to both political parties would lose the money that they make selling dryers and electrical power. Not going to happen. Thus, the climate crisis will only be solved by making corporations and their owners richer.

Maybe some of the engineers and scientist types can do some calculations on the subject of drying clothes on the line. My rough calculations on the cooling effect are below:

Today I put out about two dozen garments to dry. I weighed one t-shirt after it came out of washer (warm cycle -- never use hot) and again after it dried outside: 103 grams less mass. Call it 100 grams of water evaporated. It takes about 2250 joules to vaporize one gram of water (that's at 100 degrees C, so some ChE can fine tune this calculation at 75 degrees and 40 percent relative humidity). But roughly, drying one t-shirt on a line is about 225 KJ of energy removed from the atmosphere.

Does one t-shirt dryed on a line represent a significant amount of energy? 225KJ is 0.25MJ, and I've read that a Tesla model Y averages about 1 MJ per mile. So one t-shirt will get you about a quarter mile in a Tesla. I'm guessing that my small load of laundry today was the equivalent of about 20 t-shirts, so the heat energy I removed from the atmosphere would drive a Tesla Y a distance of 5 miles.

Please correct my math and thermodynamics. Also please tell me how much energy it takes for you to dry about 20 t-shirts and the source of your energy.

Also what is more straightforward and simple a solution to reduce energy and carbon use than drying clothes on a line? Nearly 100 percent of Americans use clothes dryers. Maybe 10% of the rest of the planet uses clothes dryers. So is putting clothes on a line too much work for rich Americans? No wonder US is leader per capita in carbon emissions.

No way will government solve this problem if people in America are so selfish and lazy.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Climate change.. What have you done in your lifestyle to combat it [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
One simple government solution towards solving the climate crisis would be to outlaw clothes dryers.

How will this work in upstate NY, North Dakota, Minn.(to name a few places) in January
Quote Reply
Re: Climate change.. What have you done in your lifestyle to combat it [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
H- wrote:
One simple government solution towards solving the climate crisis would be to outlaw clothes dryers.

How will this work in upstate NY, North Dakota, Minn.(to name a few places) in January

Different laws for different areas and time periods. I know, it will be hard to enforce
Quote Reply
Re: Climate change.. What have you done in your lifestyle to combat it [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
H- wrote:

Really?

It will work just fine in northern parts of the USA in January.

People do it in cold climates all over the world. First, clothes will dry even if they freeze when you hang them outside. Second, you can hang them in your house (and maybe don't have to run a humidifier as much). Works in Scandinavia. Will work in USA too. No big deal.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply

Prev Next