Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trump Stolen Documents Trial
Quote | Reply
RIP
6/8/2023–5/7/2024

Quote:
U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon has indefinitely postponed former President Donald Trump’s classified documents trial in Florida pending the resolution of multiple pretrial issues.

The trial had been scheduled to start May 20.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Stolen Documents Trial [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah, she's not corrupt... YOU'RE CORRUPT!

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

She’s giving us a great glimpse into a world where Trump controls all the courts and can do whatever he wants.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Stolen Documents Trial [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is probably (in my layman’s view) the most clear cut act of deliberate, premeditated, well documented criminality alleged in any of his felony cases. And now it’s as likely as not that it will never go to trial.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My main issue is the hypocrisy of it all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perfect example of Partisanship and incompetence .
Last edited by: HiKai: May 8, 24 6:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am trying to do some self examination to see if I am looking at Judge Cannon objectively or if I'm biased in thinking that she is purposely helping trump.

To me (ignorant of all the things that are necessary in a trial), her actions have indicated a decision to help trump delay the trial. She has refused to hold hearings regarding the classified documents and has avoided setting dates for deadlines.

Is there any way to justify her decisions and delays?

If not, is there no recourse? Since she has a lifetime appointment, can she just get away with it?
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Stolen Documents Trial [Rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Recourse is impeachment. Good luck impeaching a federal judge. It basically never happens unless the Judge has been convicted of something criminal.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Stolen Documents Trial [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Recourse is impeachment. Good luck impeaching a federal judge. It basically never happens unless the Judge has been convicted of something criminal.

Is she required to provide some kind of rationale? Can the prosecutor escalate a complaint to a higher court somehow?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My news feed read suggests (reading between the lines) continued steep learning curve and a slow learning novice sitting in judgement on how the classified material evidence in a public trial is to be dealt with, so as to get it right the first time. Convenient excuse to be sure. As to her motivation, she can easily say she does not want to err and run afoul of the law and create a new classified disclosure fiasco. This assumption would fit were there documents that carry a truly no shit sensitive national security concern. She lacks confidence and is rattled by the enormity of her task. Baby steps for baby judges.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Stolen Documents Trial [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:
My news feed read suggests (reading between the lines) continued steep learning curve and a slow learning novice sitting in judgement on how the classified material evidence in a public trial is to be dealt with, so as to get it right the first time. Convenient excuse to be sure. As to her motivation, she can easily say she does not want to err and run afoul of the law and create a new classified disclosure fiasco. This assumption would fit were there documents that carry a truly no shit sensitive national security concern. She lacks confidence and is rattled by the enormity of her task. Baby steps for baby judges.

I can somewhat understand that argument - but if that is true then she has absolutely no business handling this case. The 11th circuit (or whoever) should never have let her be assigned to this case. The NFL wouldn't let a new referee be assigned to the Super Bowl, they shouldn't let an inexperienced judge be assigned to something this important.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rick_pcfl wrote:
gofigure wrote:

I can somewhat understand that argument - but if that is true then she has absolutely no business handling this case. The 11th circuit (or whoever) should never have let her be assigned to this case. The NFL wouldn't let a new referee be assigned to the Super Bowl, they shouldn't let an inexperienced judge be assigned to something this important.

Pride in oneself can be a terrible affliction or an essential asset. Judges who sit in judgement should understand this best of all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
RIP
6/8/2023–5/7/2024

Quote:
U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon has indefinitely postponed former President Donald Trump’s classified documents trial in Florida pending the resolution of multiple pretrial issues.

The trial had been scheduled to start May 20.

One bright side, if you choose to look at it that way, is that this clears the calendar for Judge Chutkan's 1/6 case to proceed: it was feared that Cannon would schedule the docs case in such a way as to preclude the DC case from being scheduled.

Of course, that requires SCOTUS to first rule on Trump's immunity appeals. Mind-boggling that the two most obvious cases (IANAL) are being slow-walked and/or outright killed by Trump appointees.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Last edited by: klehner: May 8, 24 10:51
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Stolen Documents Trial [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Mind-boggling that the two most obvious cases (IANAL) are being slow-walked and/or outright killed by Trump appointees.

It is not mind boggling. It is very obvious partisan actors are protecting trump.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
This is probably (in my layman’s view) the most clear cut act of deliberate, premeditated, well documented criminality alleged in any of his felony cases. And now it’s as likely as not that it will never go to trial.

This! This was my take too. Of all the criminal cases against him, this one seemed to most solid. Perhaps not the most egregious, where it proven, the punishment might still be minor. But he was given chance after chance after chance to cooperate and comply, and for whatever reason, refused. It was as if he was daring or inviting prosecution, or more likely, just thought he was above the law. While some of the allegations in the other cases are more serious, getting to the conclusions seemed to be more of a stretch.

I get this is complicated by the number of documents in question and the classifications of those documents.

Don't know what Cannon is up to, but it really is starting to seem like she doesn't like the case and is doing everything in her power to make prosecution difficult.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lock him up!
Lock him up!
Lock him up!

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rick_pcfl wrote:
gofigure wrote:

Alas, that is not how it works. There is a random assignment process. Unless you're conspiracy minded, then that's how she got the case. The prosecution has not asked her to recuse herself, much less ask the appeals court to force her off the case. It is almost impossible to force a judge off a case merely because they are slow in getting things done.

I had a case where a judge failed to rule on a motion for more than 2 years. The other side tried to get the judge booted off the case and lost that effort. The judge then ruled for our side on the merits of the case. As they say about shooting at the king -- don't miss!
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Stolen Documents Trial [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:
As they say about shooting at the king -- don't miss!

My greatest political worry is MAGA will have learned that lesson after their failed 2020 attempt to prevent normal transfer of power.
Quote Reply