Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Longhorn Frat court update - deferred sentence, $500 fine, 200 hrs community service, 1000 word essay
Quote | Reply
After some deferments the four men charged w unlawful disposal of a longhorn carcass on a frat lawn were sentenced.

This link is about their crime
https://www.newson6.com/story/65aacc6033297f06561a88a2/4-osu-fraternity-members-arrested-charged-in-dead-longhorn-investigation

results
same thing for all four- $500 fine, deferred sentence, 200 hrs of community service, 1000 word essay.
INTERPRET THIS FOR ME - "on the defendant's representation that he has not been previously convicted of a felony within the last 10 years, the court defers judgement and sentence for a period of 1 year until 4/15/2025 during which time the defendant is placed on probation. The terms and condition of probation are that the defendant is not to violate any statues of state, tribal, or federal govt or any municipal ordinances. It is further ordered, adjudged and decreed by the court that in addition to the preceding terms, the defendant is also ordered to pay a $500 fine.... special rules and conditions of probation: costs of incarceration, court costs, 200 hours of community service, drug and alcohol assessment and follow recommendations, 1000 word essay"

Is it they doesn't f*** up for a year they doesn't go to jail at all?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: May 6, 24 14:45
Quote Reply
Re: Longhorn Frat court update - deferred sentence, $500 fine, 200 hrs community service, 1000 word essay [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well if you had given me the topic for the essay, I could have dropped it into ChatGPT and provided that for you. LOL

Why would someone go to Jail, for not appropriately discarding a carcass (I believe that is what they were Guilty of). What is the sentencing guidelines for that crime? I can't believe many get Jail for that especially for first offense.

Maybe Trumps VP candidate should get charged with that, I am sure they didn't dispose of the dog properly.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Longhorn Frat court update - deferred sentence, $500 fine, 200 hrs community service, 1000 word essay [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your interpretation is right. If they behave, they almost certainly won’t be incarcerated.
Quote Reply
Re: Longhorn Frat court update - deferred sentence, $500 fine, 200 hrs community service, 1000 word essay [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:
Your interpretation is right. If they behave, they almost certainly won’t be incarcerated.

Which with the community service feels right.
Quote Reply
Re: Longhorn Frat court update - deferred sentence, $500 fine, 200 hrs community service, 1000 word essay [LacticacidMCB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LacticacidMCB wrote:
ike wrote:

Yeah, it seems within the reasonable range.
Quote Reply
Re: Longhorn Frat court update - deferred sentence, $500 fine, 200 hrs community service, 1000 word essay [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
LacticacidMCB wrote:
ike wrote:

I'm a fan of the community service.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully the community service is collecting and properly disposing of roadkill. Punishment fits the crime.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Longhorn Frat court update - deferred sentence, $500 fine, 200 hrs community service, 1000 word essay [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hopefully the community service is collecting and properly disposing of roadkill. Punishment fits the crime.

or 200 hrs of cleaning toilets. That would work IMO

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bit of a tangent, but how is community service dealt out? Who decides? and who tracks hours? How does it all work?

Are there folks doing community service who don't want to be there (because, you know it's a punishment), "working" alongside folks who are volunteers because they truly want to help the community for truly altruistic reasons. That would be an odd mix.

Or do they ensure boy scouts aren't painting fences alongside convicted criminals?
Quote Reply
Re: Longhorn Frat court update - deferred sentence, $500 fine, 200 hrs community service, 1000 word essay [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
A bit of a tangent, but how is community service dealt out? Who decides? and who tracks hours? How does it all work?

Are there folks doing community service who don't want to be there (because, you know it's a punishment), "working" alongside folks who are volunteers because they truly want to help the community for truly altruistic reasons. That would be an odd mix.

Or do they ensure boy scouts aren't painting fences alongside convicted criminals?

No idea.

I'd like to know what the consequences they received from Student Conduct are, but I won't be able to bc those are confidential. I believe they were ... conducted... earlier this spring. (And if I did know what happened I couldn't say those consequences here)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Sounds like it's possible that there's no teeth in the judgment?

If conduct has already been served in the spring. And community service of x hours can be sometime somewhere (wink wink).

Hopefully I'm way off what really happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Longhorn Frat court update - deferred sentence, $500 fine, 200 hrs community service, 1000 word essay [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Sounds like it's possible that there's no teeth in the judgment?

If conduct has already been served in the spring. And community service of x hours can be sometime somewhere (wink wink).

Hopefully I'm way off what really happens.

Our university Student Conduct has a variety of consequences, and IDK what consequences they received. For all I know they could have been expelled (this is my hope; in previous posts I think others have told me they think that is too harsh). I've never been on a SC board (I've been on Academic Integrity hearings, which is a different process with different consequences- that is for things like cheating). I thought Student Conduct might wait until the court verdict, but it sounds like Student Conduct dealt with all this sometime far earlier than this spring. I just don't know because the proceedings are confidential and I don't have any ears to the ground the local gossip would be playing out on. (And if I did, I wouldn't share it here).

Community service of 200 hrs is mandated by the court, not the university. So they damn well better get those hours done. Or I guess they could not do it, and maybe spend jail time.

Did that clarify what I think is going on? I think there are some teeth in the court verdict - a nominal fine, and the community service.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:

I work with some organizations that sometimes have volunteers who are doing community service (often for DUIs). From seeing that process here, it appears that you can pick a wide range of community service. Things like working on trails are popular because it’s nice outside. Perhaps some judges will specify the type of community service, but it otherwise appears you are free to pick from a broad list. The person running the project (maybe a city employee or a non-profit manager) signs off on your hours for that day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:
40-Tude wrote:

I work with some organizations that sometimes have volunteers who are doing community service (often for DUIs). From seeing that process here, it appears that you can pick a wide range of community service. Things like working on trails are popular because it’s nice outside. Perhaps some judges will specify the type of community service, but it otherwise appears you are free to pick from a broad list. The person running the project (maybe a city employee or a non-profit manager) signs off on your hours for that day.

Judges pick, then rational people choose. I got community service as a kid and the judge demanded I build houses for habitat for humanity. The person that had to help me sign up for community service laughed and said that activist judge always demands that. I ended up cleaning a county park for a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

or 200 hrs of cleaning toilets. That would work IMO

I use to clean public toilets, never found it to be that bad a job. Actually was pretty good work, didn't have to deal with people, and only once was there a stall, where shit was everywhere, I mean like 7 ft up the wall. It was an amazing sight pretty impressive. I don't know how it happened, actually had a few others come look cause it was everywhere. Looked like a bag of shit had just exploded with no shadowing of a person. During a few economic downturns there was always cut backs of the janitorial staff, use to tell people, I'll clean toilets for this pay if that's what GM wants me to do.

Working outside in the texas heat cleaning up road kill would be a far far far far worse task.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:

I believe there are approved community service "suppliers" but the boss signs time sheets, and those get turned into the court, or thats how it use to work. Probably depends on the location.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

Quote:

LacticacidMCB wrote:
ike wrote:

Maybe they can work a local ranch, or slaughter house.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: Longhorn Frat court update - deferred sentence, $500 fine, 200 hrs community service, 1000 word essay [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

Quote:

LacticacidMCB wrote:
ike wrote:

Maybe they can work a local ranch, or slaughter house.

Or an automobile stamping line. Damn that was a dirty job to clean up after. Massive amounts of cut sheet metal and oil. My oldest brother volunteered us for that job when I was in college and he was in sales trying to sell them chemicals.
Quote Reply