Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Italian buisness model
Quote | Reply
So I just thought this was kind if funny so I figured I'd share.
I was watching stage 1 of the Giro with my 10 year old son, watching the Bardiani rider sweep up the points, and we both noticed his helmet, it's a sky blue with some cool marble design, a pretty unique and cool design, so I decide that I would go buy one.
I get on Briko's website and lo and behold it's out of stock, so I email them and they respond really fast (on a weekend) so kudo's for that, but their response is that if it's out of stock on the website then they don't have any and have no idea if or when they will get any.

My point and surprise is that this is really the only time when this helmet will be seen by a wide worldwide market and it's basically the reason they sponsor the team, and the perfect (and perhaps only) time to capitalize on said investment.
I don't know it just seemed super Italian to me that they wouldn't have thought about that, and I don't know maybe try to sell some LOL
Last edited by: trener1: May 6, 24 7:15
Quote Reply
Re: Italian buisness model [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had the same response from Santini about a trisuit I wanted.

When will it be back in stock? - 'When it appears in-stock on the website'

So went and got a suit from Surpas instead...

Regards, Richard
3D Bits and Pieces - https://www.printables.com/@thetrickster_793480
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:
so I email them and they respond really fast (on a weekend) so kudo's for that

I'm Italian and I'm pretty sure you didn't speak to one ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not necessarily saying this is definitively the case, but in my experience translating from one language to another sometimes becomes very literal and lacks any nuance, especially when there may not be a high level of proficiency. Perhaps the specific answer you got was the most direct or most comfortable literal response.
Quote Reply
Re: Italian buisness model [mpquick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know how you keep an Italian from talking? Tie his hands behind his back.

OK, my Italian step-dad told me that joke years ago. It's all in fun, my Italian friends. Nothing but love.

It is an interesting observation. I think if I was sponsoring some event, and expecting that event to drive up demand for my product, I would at least have a whole bunch on hand prior. But maybe they did and the demand overwhelmed their inventory. Or maybe they do just intend to take orders and produce based on response. Who knows? But as another poster said, maybe give them a chance. Could be something lost in translation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure what's different in this story from other helmets or products.
When the Specialized TT5 or the new Giro Aerohoead 2.0 were the talk of the moment it was impossible to actually buy them for a while.
Estimating sales for a niche or special edition product must be really hard.
It's also true for many companies that d2c e-commerce is a minor sales channel compared to retail/reseller distribution.

Besides, and this is true for most companies, the products that are most sold by any brand sponsoring a cycling team aren't necessarily the ones used by the athletes.

Is this the product you're talking about?
https://www.briko.com/...lack-23121ew-brd-a02
To me it appears available in size L.
Last edited by: marcoviappiani: May 6, 24 23:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reminds me of when I lived abroad, it was nearly impossible to find US soda anywhere in the country we were in. Except one market that sometimes had Dr. Pepper, but then stopped carrying it. A friend asked why they never had Dr. Pepper anymore, and the store owner replied they stopped ordering it because they "couldn't keep it on the shelves".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Related memory triggered by your subject. Once met an Italian model who work for Fila, who was all business!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
were you on the Italian Briko website or the US/Canada/North American one?

If it's a North American one, what is "in stock" might refer to what they have imported into their tiny office park warehouse months (or years?) ago, almost not expecting anyone to pay the premium markup, when a similar Giro/Bell/Specialized/Bontrager model is much cheaper.

It can be the opposite in Europe, with North American product selling for a premium because the distributor needs to cover the freight, import, etc..
Quote Reply
Re: Italian buisness model [pknight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pknight wrote:
were you on the Italian Briko website or the US/Canada/North American one?

I'm not sure but I think it was the Italian one, I just googled Briko and went to the website.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply