Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How do you prove you do not have something? [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:
As a more philosophical point, using your definition of proof, the issue has nothing to do with the supposed (and often wrong) assertion that you can’t prove a negative. Even if the issue were proof of a positive, eg, that you are employed, how would you provide mathematical or scientific proof that you have a job? Your alleged employer could be lying. The paperwork could be wrong. You might be showing up to the office as a volunteer. You might have been fired or retired since the evidence was created.

To that point, yes, but they have established the rules to prove income (job) that is my income tax standard, they do not care, nor ask for Proof of income or employment, they simply ask for tax form. If instead of asking for Proof of not having said, they would have said fill out this from sign and sign it (Notarized?) We would not be having the discussion. They seem to only want the higher standard of Proof for the negative.

With a BS in applied Math, and MS in applied statistic, I am well versed in "proofs". There are 2 instances of quick traps, 1) you can't prove a negative, so you must flip the question, and prove the positive therefore disproving the negative. And in probability questions, its often easier to find the opposite side of what they ask, then do 100%- that answer. (dice game, you roll 10 6 sided dice, you win if you get all 3s and 1 4, whats the probability you lose? -- much easier to calculate the odds of a win and subtract that figure out all the losing possibilities - simple example, they do a better job of hiding it, but it was to long ago to recall) just realized, those 2 things are actually 1. To prove a negative, you need show that in no such case can/did it happen, which means you need to show infinite situations. As where when proving the positive, I just have to show once, or for n=1, 2 and x if its that kind of proof. so minimizing the events trying to be evaluate.

But yes Ike, even proving a positive can be very hard, and why many concepts still theories and not laws, cause well everyone agrees, it walks like a duck and talks like a duct, just no one has been able to prove its a duck.

Yes, there is a legal standard for proof, a economics' standard for proof, and a math / science standard. (often in the math and science world replication of test results but other labs, is sufficiency of proof of a positive. But no scientist will every prove there is not life on other planets (only will disprove it by finding life). I don't know and wont guess, at the school's standard of proof for no job/income.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you prove you do not have something? [spockman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spockman wrote:
A letter from your wife saying you are driving her crazy because you are always around now

100 pts to you

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you prove you do not have something? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
I don't deal with them she is 25yrs old, as she said in a recent text.. Starting 20th grade.
---
I thought there was something in the rules that said the kids were cut off at 25. If not, cut her off anyways. Then she can claim independence and that her deadbeat, out of work father refused to help her anyways. She'll probably get a bigger reward that way.

Its all a weird game (26 for Healthcare if working -- note law does not require retiree H.C. to cover kids)

I had not heard of 25 for financials. She is not a dependent, but does legally reside at home. I provide no financial assistance to her, but they don't care they want to see parents numbers. For Undergrad, kids can declare independence and have to do paperwork to that says they get no financial assistance. Helped my oldests friend do that in undergrad. Maybe she could do have done something similar years ago, but in some ways it seems they don't care. They want to know about the parents. No clue what would happen if parents would not provide information. (I guess when she meets with them, she can ask, its a good avenue to go down, late but hey 1 yr is better than none) (Oh and currently she has one of my cars she drives, and I pay the insurance, so legally she can not say she is totally independent)

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: How do you prove you do not have something? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
I don't deal with them she is 25yrs old, as she said in a recent text.. Starting 20th grade.
---
I thought there was something in the rules that said the kids were cut off at 25. If not, cut her off anyways. Then she can claim independence and that her deadbeat, out of work father refused to help her anyways. She'll probably get a bigger reward that way.

That is an interesting point. I don’t have college aged kids, and don’t know how financial aid works, but it seems odd to me that a 25 year old would still be tying financial aid to the employment status of parents. Is it because the original aid criteria were established way back when she was 18 and starting college?

Nope Med school, now started that at 21 (I think does that math work??) always thought it was weird but figured easier to just send the info then question the process.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: How do you prove you do not have something? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
ike wrote:
As a more philosophical point, using your definition of proof, the issue has nothing to do with the supposed (and often wrong) assertion that you can’t prove a negative. Even if the issue were proof of a positive, eg, that you are employed, how would you provide mathematical or scientific proof that you have a job? Your alleged employer could be lying. The paperwork could be wrong. You might be showing up to the office as a volunteer. You might have been fired or retired since the evidence was created.

To that point, yes, but they have established the rules to prove income (job) that is my income tax standard, they do not care, nor ask for Proof of income or employment, they simply ask for tax form. If instead of asking for Proof of not having said, they would have said fill out this from sign and sign it (Notarized?) We would not be having the discussion. They seem to only want the higher standard of Proof for the negative.

With a BS in applied Math, and MS in applied statistic, I am well versed in "proofs". There are 2 instances of quick traps, 1) you can't prove a negative, so you must flip the question, and prove the positive therefore disproving the negative. And in probability questions, its often easier to find the opposite side of what they ask, then do 100%- that answer. (dice game, you roll 10 6 sided dice, you win if you get all 3s and 1 4, whats the probability you lose? -- much easier to calculate the odds of a win and subtract that figure out all the losing possibilities - simple example, they do a better job of hiding it, but it was to long ago to recall) just realized, those 2 things are actually 1. To prove a negative, you need show that in no such case can/did it happen, which means you need to show infinite situations. As where when proving the positive, I just have to show once, or for n=1, 2 and x if its that kind of proof. so minimizing the events trying to be evaluate.

But yes Ike, even proving a positive can be very hard, and why many concepts still theories and not laws, cause well everyone agrees, it walks like a duck and talks like a duct, just no one has been able to prove its a duck.

Yes, there is a legal standard for proof, a economics' standard for proof, and a math / science standard. (often in the math and science world replication of test results but other labs, is sufficiency of proof of a positive. But no scientist will every prove there is not life on other planets (only will disprove it by finding life). I don't know and wont guess, at the school's standard of proof for no job/income.

You're a math guy. I am not. But, doesn't Fermat's Last Theorem (or, more accurately, Fermat's Conjecture) entail proof of a negative?

In any case, the financial aid folks are not seeking such proof. Whatever they were seeking, you and your daughter are not correct in stating that one cannot prove a negative. One often can prove a negative, using the evidence rules of that particular context. As for what evidence the financial aid folks would consider sufficient, I can't say for sure. But, I can say with near ontological certitude that their standard would be closer to the paperwork and verified statements accepted in my line of endeavor than the sort of proof of life on another planet, or lack thereof.
Last edited by: ike: May 7, 24 15:51
Quote Reply
Re: How do you prove you do not have something? [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
ike wrote:

You're a math guy. I am not. But, doesn't Fermat's Last Theorem (or, more accurately, Fermat's Conjecture) entail proof of a negative?

In any case, the financial aid folks are not seeking such proof. Whatever they were seeking, you and your daughter are not correct in stating that one cannot prove a negative. One often can prove a negative, using the evidence rules of that particular context. As for what evidence the financial aid folks would consider sufficient, I can't say for sure. But, I can say with near ontological certitude that their standard would be closer to the paperwork and verified statements accepted in my file of endeavor than the sort of proof of life on another planet, or lack thereof.

Interesting, that was finally proved in 1995 ( I was out of school by then) up til that date, it was just conjecture.

But for this situation as you have said we fall back to
Quote:
If “prove” means "provide a good argument for the truth of” or “provide sufficient evidence for”, science, for example, would be impossible

And at which point, the bar for good argument, sufficient evidence would need to be provide by the arbitrator (AKA the school) so I still fall back on this being a very odd response by the financial aide office, when asked how to prove it, they said ask your parent. I wonder if I called if they would say, ask the student?

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
ike wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
ike wrote:

In any case, the financial aid folks are not seeking such proof. Whatever they were seeking, you and your daughter are not correct in stating that one cannot prove a negative. One often can prove a negative, using the evidence rules of that particular context. As for what evidence the financial aid folks would consider sufficient, I can't say for sure. But, I can say with near ontological certitude that their standard would be closer to the paperwork and verified statements accepted in my file of endeavor than the sort of proof of life on another planet, or lack thereof.

Interesting, that was finally proved in 1995 ( I was out of school by then) up til that date, it was just conjecture.

Quote:
If “prove” means "provide a good argument for the truth of” or “provide sufficient evidence for”, science, for example, would be impossible

And at which point, the bar for good argument, sufficient evidence would need to be provide by the arbitrator (AKA the school) so I still fall back on this being a very odd response by the financial aide office, when asked how to prove it, they said ask your parent. I wonder if I called if they would say, ask the student?

Look, Mother’s Day is coming up & I’m pretty sure my kids will forget. And I’m turning 50 in July. As a joint Mother’s-Birth-Day gift to me, pretty please call the school and ask your question.

And then tell us what they say! I, in turn, will convey the information to my son, who will tell our dog (small & smart), who will quietly feel satisfied that everyone is a moron.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
ike wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
ike wrote:

Quote:

For Fermat, I would call it conjecture. He never had a theorem to prove his conjecture. I feel it gives him too much credit to call it Fermat’s Theorem. Full credit to the later proof of his conjecture.
Quote Reply

Prev Next