Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Caitlin Clark (Sports Pioneer) [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
So you already admit its her responsibility to know whats in her suitcase and what rules she should be following, and you acknowledge that she's high profile and just asking to get "fucked with" because its Russia, but then at the same time youre also saying its not her responsibility to foresee the potential issues?

I'm saying exactly what I said in the previous post. She's responsible for her actions, but she's not 100% responsible for consequences she couldn't foresee due to unpredictable behavior by a capricious foreign government.

I'm saying the same thing as I say about the hypothetical rape victim. She's responsible for her choices, but not 100% responsible for being raped. If you disagree, then I think you have a very different moral compass than I and most others.

Quote:
Shes a pro athlete, black, gay, and outspoken against conservative principles. Choosing to work in a very conservative and draconian country with strict laws on drugs and poor tolerance to LGBTQ. You really believe someone in her position shouldn't be able to read the writing on the wall??

Being able to anticipate shitty behavior isn't the same as being responsible for it.

Quote:
If she didn't ignore all of the signs, and had she put some thought into this then there is no chance for Russia to play the political game. You know this.

Of course I know this, which is why I've never said she bears 0% responsibility. I simply understand that these situations aren't 0% or 100% on any single person or entity.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Caitlin Clark (Sports Pioneer) [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
We both agree she didn't bring them with ill-intentions. We disagree with the level of responsibility she has for them being in her bag

No, I don't think we disagree there. We agree that she's responsible for what's in her bag. Where we differ is in characterizing her actions. You're characterizing them as "choosing to bring drugs into Russia." I'm characterizing them as "failing to check her bag thoroughly." This characterization goes to intent, which subsequently goes to further discussion of how much sympathetic we are to her concerns about following circumstances.

Quote:
She is 100% responsible for putting herself in the position to be a target for those kind of people.

Right, but that's not the same as what you said earlier. What you said earlier is that she's 100% responsible for the consequences. In Griner's case, a lot of those consequences were unforeseen and out of her control.

For me those are synonymous. The only reason she has a target on her back is because of her own actions. We are not talking about someone who took all available appropriate measures to mitigate some issue and the unfortunate consequence happened because someone else went out of their way. There is no low probability of the outcome here.

And unfortunately the intent aspect doesn't really matter for anything other than sympathy. I'd have more sympathy if it is accidental and significantly less if its accidental. But she still fucked up. Whether she intentionally brought it or accidentally brought it doesn't change the fact that she fucked up.

Its also not like she just happened to drive across state lines accidentally and found herself 5 miles away where its all of a sudden illegal. She packed her bag, was apparently careless in packing her bag and the forms of concentrated cannabis are regulated and not allowed on planes.

The ability to have sympathy doesn't change the accountability. It may change the sentencing and we can agree or disagree on the draconian laws but accidental or not she is still guilty of committing a very preventable crime in a country that doesn't fuck around.

"Choosing to bring" vs "failing to check"...it a ridiculous parse because its not like someone else placed it there. Theres a saying about having sex...if you're not actively trying to not have a baby then you're trying to have a baby. Why am I saying this? Because thats like someone getting surprised they got pregnant even though they were on birth control. Its not an accident.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Being able to anticipate shitty behavior isn't the same as being responsible for it.

A grown adult was careless and made some very bad decisions breaking the laws of a draconian state and you're saying she should have been able to anticipate the consequences but that she's not responsible for them?

I mean yea I agree with you she's not a member of the Russian govt nor did she write the laws. She not responsible for deciding the penalties of crimes. But she put herself in the situation to be subject to those laws and penalties.

Your belief is that an individual is responsible for the crime but not responsible for the punishment because they didn't create them and don't control the actions of the politicians who did? If so this is a wild distinction.

I think the better question or way to look at this is: "Whos fault is it that a person falls subject to laws and penalties?" Is that more appropriate?

My head is starting to hurt. Maybe it's best I bow out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:

but she's not 100% responsible for consequences she couldn't foresee due to unpredictable behavior by a capricious foreign government.

Hang on...I know I said I might bow out but this just hit me. There is no world in which we can characterize the behavior of the Russian gov't here as unpredictable.

I talked about him in the original Griner thread but Marc Fogel was detained in Russia for drug possession less than a year before Griner was. His family and friends pleaded with both govts. He was also passing through the airport security.

Thats just one example. And I'm sure there were resources for an international player going to work in Russia. As you said it should have been glaringly obvious for years and someone going to Russia was begging to be fucked with.

So I don't accept your premise that Russia's behavior was unpredictable and these outcomes were unexpected.It was painfully obvious. Great odds in Vegas. We obviously don't agree on the multiple premise and we are quite far apart on the meaning of certain phrases. We view the facts differently. Probably best to part ways in this discussion.

Thanks for the time.
Last edited by: Yeeper: May 16, 24 11:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The only reason she has a target on her back is because of her own actions.

We both know that's not true. She has a target on her back, in part, because she's a 6'9" black lesbian basketball player.

Quote:
I'd have more sympathy if it is accidental and significantly less if its accidental.

Well, her incident in Russia certainly wasn't intentional.

Quote:
She packed her bag, was apparently careless in packing her bag and the forms of concentrated cannabis are regulated and not allowed on planes.

Vape cartridges are not prohibited on planes.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
A grown adult was careless and made some very bad decisions breaking the laws of a draconian state and you're saying she should have been able to anticipate the consequences but that she's not responsible for them?

I'm really only going to type this one more time, because we're either talking past each other, or you're deliberately leaving out parts of what I'm saying. She's responsible for her actions but not 100% responsible for the consequences. If she jumped off a cliff, and there was no other entity contributing to her falling, then she would be 100% responsible for the consequences. But in the case of her detention in Russia, there was very obviously another major entity involved, if not several.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
slowguy wrote:

but she's not 100% responsible for consequences she couldn't foresee due to unpredictable behavior by a capricious foreign government.

Hang on...I know I said I might bow out but this just hit me. There is no world in which we can characterize the behavior of the Russian gov't here as unpredictable.

I talked about him in the original Griner thread but Marc Fogel was detained in Russia for drug possession less than a year before Griner was. His family and friends pleaded with both govts. He was also passing through the airport security.

Thats just one example. And I'm sure there were resources for an international player going to work in Russia. As you said it should have been glaringly obvious for years and someone going to Russia was begging to be fucked with.

So I don't accept your premise that Russia's behavior was unpredictable and these outcomes were unexpected.It was painfully obvious. Great odds in Vegas. We obviously don't agree on the multiple premise and we are quite far apart on the meaning of certain phrases. We view the facts differently. Probably best to part ways in this discussion.

Thanks for the time.

Fogel was arrested in August and Griner was arrested the following February. He wasn't sentenced until several months after Griner's arrest.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:

Again, you seem to be assuming that the single incident with Griner is everything. Just a day or two ago, Angle Reese had some fan banging on her car window demanding that she open up. .
Your description of the events doesn’t provide any context. The fan was excited and wanted Reese to open up to show that she was comfortable and excited to be back in CHI and “act like you’re from Chicago.” If you watch the clip Reese talks about this and also talks about getting her bearings and then ends with being excited and saying she feels very welcome.

That context is improtant, as you said previously in the thread.

Again, that doesn’t pain a picture of safety concerns necessitating tens of millions they don’t have on security upgrades.

slowguy wrote:
And I also think security is just one of the reasons they are moving to chartered flights.

Correct, the other reasons would be conveniences or luxuries. And like most other sports or athletes you get budget line items for luxuries and conveniences when you can afford them.

Again, if there’s a security threat then there’s probably infinitely cheaper steps to take to match the level of threat and if there’s $25 million to go around then why not makeup for the external subsidy or pay your players more. Considering all the talk about how little the players make $10MM could nearly double most salaries. Spread evenly that’s an extra ~$70k per player.

My discussion point is how absurd it is for a league that’s constantly in the red to spend $25 million on travel upgrades of this magnitude.

Again, unless I’m wrong I find that you’re uncharacteristically contrarian with me on these two topics.

It’s surprising to me that you’re pushing back on the security issue considering the facts of what’s actually transpired. Those incidents are what is being reported as the concern and justification for the travel change.

I feel like your approach is to swat me down like it’s so absurd for someone to take a firm stance on this when there’s still a sliver of possibility I’m wrong.

This league is trying to be a business and is failing because they end up in the red and require subsidies. My view is based on cost analysis for this business. And what thing justify what costs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
The only reason she has a target on her back is because of her own actions.

We both know that's not true. She has a target on her back, in part, because she's a 6'9" black lesbian basketball player.

Quote:
I'd have more sympathy if it is accidental and significantly less if its accidental.

Well, her incident in Russia certainly wasn't intentional.

Quote:
She packed her bag, was apparently careless in packing her bag and the forms of concentrated cannabis are regulated and not allowed on planes.

Vape cartridges are not prohibited on planes.
The target I’m referring to is back here in the states. The YouTube jackass didn’t harass her and yell insults if her height, ethnicity, sport, or sexual orientation. He yelled obscenities about her having sex with Putin to get out of jail. The target was from her own carelessness
I said I’d have more sympathy not that it lessened their role in he matter.

Hashish is illegal to fly with. All cannabis derivatives are federally regulated and illegal to being on a plane. Vape cartridges are allowed. But certain substances to put inside of them are not. She was caught with hash oil which is prohibited.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Quote:

I'm really only going to type this one more time, because we're either talking past each other, or you're deliberately leaving out parts of what I'm saying. She's responsible for her actions but not 100% responsible for the consequences. If she jumped off a cliff, and there was no other entity contributing to her falling, then she would be 100% responsible for the consequences. But in the case of her detention in Russia, there was very obviously another major entity involved, if not several.
Correct we must be at an impasse because I don’t see anyone else having contributed to her going over the cliff!
Last edited by: Yeeper: May 16, 24 13:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:

Fogel was arrested in August and Griner was arrested the following February. He wasn't sentenced until several months after Griner's arrest.

I said that was only one example. More?

Gaylen Grandstaff arrested 2017 and then sentenced to 20 years for $10 worth of metal cleaner prescribed to hollistically treat his Crohns. He was charged with smuggling a large quantity of a psychotropic substance.

Paul Whelan has been in a Russian prison since 2018 and sentenced in 2020 on fabricated charges of espionage which the US has denied and subsequently designated him as wrongfully imprisoned.

So still, I don't accept your premise that Russia's response was unpredictable. Their stance on drugs is well-known. Their punishments are known to be excessive for minor infractions. And their evidence suspicious. And this has been well-known for decades. In 2013 an article was written describing Russia's treatment of drug users and addicts and how they were beaten mercilessly and given substandard treatment.

Quite predictable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Down by 17, 1-5 from the floor, 0-4 from deep.

Liberty vs. Fever (May 16, 2024) Live Score - ESPN

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:

Correct we must be at an impasse because I don’t see anyone else having contributed to her going over the cliff!

Nobody else pushed her off the cliff, but the Russians did a whole lot to speed her fall, and dug a hole at the bottom to make the fall deeper than one might have expected.

It goes back to the analogy of the rape victim. Nobody pushed her off the cliff (i.e. nobody made her go somewhere unsafe), but someone sure as hell did take advantage of her fall and make it a hell of a lot worse.

If you're going to say the rape victim is "100% responsible for the consequences of her choices" then yeah, we're at an impasse.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:

Nobody else pushed her off the cliff, but the Russians did a whole lot to speed her fall, and dug a hole at the bottom to make the fall deeper than one might have expected.

It goes back to the analogy of the rape victim. Nobody pushed her off the cliff (i.e. nobody made her go somewhere unsafe), but someone sure as hell did take advantage of her fall and make it a hell of a lot worse.

If you're going to say the rape victim is "100% responsible for the consequences of her choices" then yeah, we're at an impasse.

These are false equivalencies. While it’s imperative for people to avoid dangerous situations, a woman getting raped for doing nothing in particular is vastly different than someone who is doing something illegal and then suffering the consequences of those illegal actions.

A woman at a club dressed provacatively isn’t the same as breaking the law. Let’s not confuse those two situations and degrees of responsibility.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:

These are false equivalencies. While it’s imperative for people to avoid dangerous situations, a woman getting raped for doing nothing in particular is vastly different than someone who is doing something illegal and then suffering the consequences of those illegal actions.

A woman at a club dressed provacatively isn’t the same as breaking the law. Let’s not confuse those two situations and degrees of responsibility.

I made an analogy. That’s not the same thing as an equivalency.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:

I made an analogy. That’s not the same thing as an equivalency.

Why are you so hesitant to admit people can make mistakes and be responsible for the situation they put themself in? That doesn’t absolve others from committing worse offenses against the individual. And it doesn’t even mean that you can’t feel sympathetic for them and reassure them it was an honest mistake.

But there’s a reason we give children more rope than adults. Adults know better.

The rape analogy is very difficult. Because most of us understand or have used the phrase “fuck around and find out.”

“You’re cruising for a bruisin”

“You’re asking for it”

“They had it coming”

“You’re playing with fire.”

“You instigated it”

Etc.

“Dont do that…stop doing that..you know what’s going to happen…aaaand too late. It’s your own fault.”

Sex and rape are taboo. In almost every other situation we don’t hesitate to tell people they put themselves in a situation and are at fault. Even if someone else does something worse to them. We don’t absolve blame and can’t say someone doesn’t “deserve” a consequence that doesn’t match the level of mistake. But the blame is still there.

We are only in control of our own actions. Therefore if we do something deliberately that directly endangers our wellbeing or puts something of ours at risk then it is our fault and our fault alone for putting ourselves in that situation. Period.

Context always matters. A woman walking her normal and responsible route home who is jumped and raped is in no way the same situation as the girl who goes to a party in a strange place drinking etc with strange seedy individuals who exhibit stereotypical criminal behavior and ends up getting raped. The first teaching in most self-defense classes is situational awareness and not putting yourself in positions to be attacked.

If you can help it and avoid it, and you choose not to…then you’re not causing the other persons behavior but you’re giving them the opportunity to do it. Hence you are only responsible for your own actions but still 100% responsible unless someone tricks you.

Just like how BG was the only one responsible for knowing where her drugs were and where she can and cannot take them. She should have known the laws because they were no secret yet she chose to be careless and found out the hard way. She is 100% responsible.

I really don’t think we are going to agree on this. A woman doesn’t deserve to be raped for wearing skimpy clothes and teasing a guy. However a guy who goes up to other guys in a bar saying “you’re a dumb ugly piece of shit” also doesn’t necessarily deserve to get punched but we’re pretty sure he’s going to and it’s his own damn fault. In both situations we WANT and HOPE the better head prevail for the rapists or attackers but can pretty much guess the outcome.

It IS possible for two parties to both be 100% responsible and take equal blame in something. There doesn’t have to be a split.

Two cars run their respective stop signs and hit each other. Both at fault.

Britney griner was 100% responsible for her illegal actions and whatever consequences befell her and Russia was 100% responsible for levying completely absurd and draconian consequences.

These things are not mutually exclusive and personal responsibility doesn’t absolve someone else from doing something wrong. But this is where you and I fundamentally disagree.
Quote Reply
Re: Caitlin Clark (Sports Pioneer) [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

Yep was following as much as I could. Tough loss but Clark finished up strong again. Took her till second half just like first game but by then too late.

Had 9 points which was third highest behind 10 & 12, tied for most team rebounds at 7, and had the most assists at 6.

She’s gotta settle in earlier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
sphere wrote:

Yep was following as much as I could. Tough loss but Clark finished up strong again. Took her till second half just like first game but by then too late.

Had 9 points which was third highest behind 10 & 12, tied for most team rebounds at 7, and had the most assists at 6.

I believe Clark will be fine. If you look at a lot of the big names in the NBA, they don’t all start off as All Stars from the get go. For many, the first few years are a slower transition, and then the super stardom starts to flourish. Look at Jokic. I was just reading a bit about him last night and he was not the MVP at the start of his career he is now. Biggest difference is Clark has the eyes of the world on her and everyone has (unrealistic) expectations for her from the start of her rookie career
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

Got her turners down significantly, so that's an improvement

Gotta tough starting your rookie season against two perennial powerhouses

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Caitlin Clark (Sports Pioneer) [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EyeRunMD wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
sphere wrote:

I believe Clark will be fine. If you look at a lot of the big names in the NBA, they don’t all start off as All Stars from the get go. For many, the first few years are a slower transition, and then the super stardom starts to flourish. Look at Jokic. I was just reading a bit about him last night and he was not the MVP at the start of his career he is now. Biggest difference is Clark has the eyes of the world on her and everyone has (unrealistic) expectations for her from the start of her rookie career

Bingo. As someone said earlier the expectations on her are ridiculously high and its not going to be enough (for her critics) for her to just do well. She has to put forward superhuman efforts and results and make waves. Couple more thoughts on that...

Shes still contributing with assists and rebounds against stronger teams. Shes gotta adjust to a different league, older players, more aggressive D, new system around her etc.

But as you said some players take a few years, I don't think she has that luxury if the goal is to keep the CC momentum and hype that existed in her playoff run and record chase. The people and the media won't wait a few years. SDG started this thread salivating over her acting like shes the WNBA messiah but thats not going to work if it takes her a few years to adjust like some other players as you alluded. Nothing against her talents, just the nature of hype and attention. And the goal (aside from championships) is to get more followers and more butts in the seats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have much to add but because of Clark I now know there will be a team called Golden State Valkyries.....which might be the coolest team name ever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

I take it all back. Good god she sucks. Small, unathletic, slow, and can't shoot for shit apparently. Watched a few minutes of the first game but that was it.

Now it's back to WNBA in obscurity. In two more games there will be no stories, no fans and no noise about the WNBA.

Back to normal life.
Quote Reply
Re: Caitlin Clark (Sports Pioneer) [SDG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDG wrote:
sphere wrote:

I take it all back. Good god she sucks. Small, unathletic, slow, and can't shoot for shit apparently. Watched a few minutes of the first game but that was it.

Now it's back to WNBA in obscurity. In two more games there will be no stories, no fans and no noise about the WNBA.

Back to normal life.

Possibly the biggest whiff in the history of #1 draft picks.

Bet she’s wishing she’d heeded Butker’s advice and found herself a good man instead since she clearly won’t make it on her own.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
SDG wrote:
sphere wrote:

Back to normal life.

Possibly the biggest whiff in the history of #1 draft picks.

Bet she’s wishing she’d heeded Butker’s advice and found herself a good man instead since she clearly won’t make it on her own.

No doubt. Although it appears she is dating a guy from Iowa ( rare for WNBA player), so when they find out she can't play bball she will have a fall-back homemaker job. Maybe PE coach at local school.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The veterans surely aren’t making it easy on her. This screen from Stewart looks casual, but knocks Clark on her ass. Sounds like she’s getting plenty of “welcome to the pros” from the veteran players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEmuWNuXCcg

Slowguy

Quote Reply

Prev Next