Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Contractor annoyances
Quote | Reply
I'll say annoyances because we did tell the guy that we aren't in a rush to get the job done.

So we're getting a new walkway put in and all new sod put down for the lawn. It's been raining here a lot lately and he says he can't do his work in the rain. Fine. But this morning is beautiful. It's going to be 19 C (~ 66 Freedoms) and it's 930 am and he isn't here yet. Wed-Friday are looking like rain. Today is the day to make hay...

Anyway, we the price is the price no matter how long it takes him but... it would be nice to see some progress.

Currently he's ripped up the whole front lawn and walkway and put down some cement. The rest is mud. We're going in and out through the backdoor/backyard.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Contractor annoyances [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the ground soft from all the rain? That could be slowing him down.
I hope he adds some sand and aggregate to the cement or it could get messy.
Quote Reply
Re: Contractor annoyances [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well this morning he's slowed down waiting to pick up the bobcat he's renting. The guy who needs to open the garage isn't there.

Just heard that from him.

When he gets here he'll be slowed down by constantly being on his phone. And I get it, he's running his own company and gets calls and emails.

Again... these are annoyances. He's a nice guy and I know he does good work.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, annoyances, but acceptable ones if you’ve got a contractor who’s good to work with, and who you trust to do a good job for a fair price. What you don’t want is a new sidewalk that cracks in 6 months because it was built on unstable ground or grass that dies because it couldn’t take root in wet soil or that has divots and brown pockets because the underlying soil was so soft, and your contractor charged you an arm and a leg.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't really want to know ;)

One story. Public work with CM at risk. Filed sub bids have to be public bid process. We get a painter. Initial phone call to get the schedule of values where we want them to be billed on an AIA G702, they put down the wrong phone number so we talked to a random employee that only spoke Portuguese.
Then they do the job, in a historic building with exposed stain wood they used a sprayer without protecting the wood. They had to come back so many times...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trades get a bad rep? After the last 6 months or so I say well deserved. The number one problem that leads to all the rest of the problems. Horrific communication skills. Near zero.
Quote Reply
Re: Contractor annoyances [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a CM@R job, how did you end up with that painter?
You don't HAVE TO take the low bid.
You do need a documented bidding and scoring process.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
I hope he adds some sand and aggregate to the cement or it could get messy.

I appreciate this comment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think we prequalified, it was 3 years ago, and they came in clean. Nothing seemed out of ordinary until after the bid was signed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My biggest grievances against trades are two-fold. They may do the job they were hired to do but often damage everything else nearby which isn't theirs to fix. And two, when they encounter something they don't expect they won't stop and ask questions but plow on through and then the work is all wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a bunch of Facebook and other social media "homeowner DIY fails" out there they like to show off. Sad part is, there's a ton of contractor fails also to show off.

Both times we bought our house, the things we saw on inspections that weren't deal breakers but still made you shake your head. Never mind getting someone to actually communicate enough or take a job that isn't new construction.

We paid on move in to current house 7 years ago or so to have them paint for us. We painted the interior at our former place, but wanted the nice feel to have it done without furniture in the way by a painter.

Fucking drips/runs. Didn't sand shit anywhere. Was random chair rail in a bedroom we asked pulled off and repaired before painting and all they did was pull it off and paint over. So you could see the prior caulk lines. They leaned doors against already painted walls. We pointed things out and they came back once and didn't really do much of anything to fix it. We gave up once they were done done with the couple minor fixed they did do. Freaking waste.

MIL's plumber came to fix a dripping toilet shutoff valve. Basically the packing seal in it was toast. He did that, with a sharkbite......homeowner DIY style points there. She asked him to also replace the toilet innards while the water was off and he refused to do it. Water is off, drained so he could replace the fill hose.........would have taken freaking 5 minutes and made more money. Wouldn't do it. Fuckwit. So I went over there and drained the damned toilet out again and had it done in like 5 minutes myself.

How many times looking at a house or being over somewhere you see outdoor things done with wood not intended for ground contact rotting (untreated) or random interior grade electrical cable. Ghetto original wiring problems inside.
Quote Reply